Need help on ich and algae problem

• SRC Member

Hello everyone, after around three months into my new tank, I face the follow problem.

https://vimeo.com/172664015

First is I got ich which crash my whole day and a lot of fish die left blue chromis one and two benny. The rest all die. Understand the best is do a zero fish tank for min one month to three months. However I got no place to QT these. Tried some treatment into the water but my coral suffer.

Currently the above fish got no problem for two weeks so Guess they are immune to ich. Any one know any method? I even done a 60% water changes.

Lastly is the video attached on my sand bed and back of the wall. It's getting so much on my tank. Currently I got five snails inside but I don't think they do much.

Looking forward for any advise.... If I can't add fish and the algae grow on some of my frag and never open too..... Then it's time to change tank or stop for good... Sigh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be too dishearted yet, it is all part and parcel of the hobby which we all learn from mistake from one another .

My advise to you is after doing a major water change, let everything stabilise for few month without adding any new livestock, you will find your tank getting better and better back.

Stock fish as slow as possible, especially for Angel and butterfly fishes which are prone to ich and diseases. Getting established and healthly fish from reefer will avoid time and money going thru QT process.

Hope it helps.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

If you're asking how to remove ich completely, then apart from copper/ chloroquine phosphate (which would kill all your corals), the only other alternative is to remove all fish and let the tank fallow.

If you're asking how to control the ich to a manageable state, you can try UV or simply stock fishes which are less vulnerable to ich (mandarins) or just keep more inverts. You could also try medicated food. Dr G's line of medicated caviar. But not all fish will eat it though.

Just my 2 cents, would leave the tank alone and try to solve the phosphate and nitrate issue which lead to your algae issue. Since you left with 3 fishes in your tank could easily net them out for QT and leave your tank w/o fish for 8 weeks. Alternatively you may also try adding hardy/healthy fish after 3 months and monitor them closely. Thanks

If you dont want to Qt your fishes and hoping it to recover from your DT then you might consider using Polylab Medic. I'm using it for 3days. So fast my blue tang and purple tang ich are improving but still try to lower your frequency of adding fishes especially tangs and butterfly that are prone to ich andndiseases.

• SRC Member

Try feed with garlic guard soak food for 1hrs then feed and also 4-5days vacume your sand it may help if got uv even better. If your tank is small with little stone and coral then remove all stone and coral and dose copper treat copper for 1-2week then change water and use copper remover for 1month then u are safe to reef again hope it help u

• SRC Member

Bro, to clear your tank totally of the Ich protozoan, with corals still in tank, then the easiest (and maybe only) way is to leave it fishless for 2-3 months.  So your surviving Chromis and Blennies will need to be removed from that tank.  Either put them direct in a QT tank or maybe treated with medication (like cuprine) before QT.  Do not put them back into the main tank until the 2-3 months period is up.

During this period, as there is no need feeding of fish, maybe only corals, coupled with your regular water changes, your algae issue should clear soon.  During water changes, try to manually hand-pluck whatever algae you can.

• SRC Member

Thank you so many bro for advise.

Yes I will try to bring my balance fish out for QT and leave it three months. As I understand after a few cycle the ich will die off without fish as host.

Brother Darren, where to get the Polylab? You try with fish inside?

Bro monkey see, after this painful lesson I will stock maybe Two weeks gap rather then one week gap.

Bro pcw,

I understand UV will also kill good and bad bacteria.....

Bro howfufu,

My parameter is very stable.

Bro Leong rai,

I will consider the garlic guard. My tank is 3x1.5x2.

Bro Dottyclown,

Yes will clear the sand and rock. Will also do it fish less for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

UV when used properly will kill everything that goes through it. But your tank would have a lot of beneficial bacteria clinging onto the rocks already so killing beneficial bacteria with UV shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, with UV, you're only targeting the free swimming state of ich.

• SRC Member
UV when used properly will kill everything that goes through it. But your tank would have a lot of beneficial bacteria clinging onto the rocks already so killing beneficial bacteria with UV shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, with UV, you're only targeting the free swimming state of ich.

So if using UV , the pump for water is from where? Sump?