Tank in balcony

kilo

Hi everyone,

Tried to search for any previous threads on anyone placing their tank in the balcony but results were 0.

My balcony is south facing and only have little direct sunshine in the morning. See sketch of floor plan.

489b99eae8ca21ddaf2dc0be16b844d9.jpg

I plan on putting a blind or screen next to tank per sketch and maybe paste a UV screen on the tank on the side that faces outside. Will definitely run a chiller.

Intending to keep a mix reef tank. Might be a 36x24x18" tank.

Does anyone faced or foresee any issue like algae or huge temperature swing due to placing in the balcony? Is it even advisable to put in balcony?

Pls advice.

Thanks in advance

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Chiller should solve your temperature issue.

If you using RODI water with phos remover and ATS algae should not be a problem

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

All,

With the inputs from you guys, decided to proceed with placing my new tank in the balcony and the planning process has started...

So as mentioned above the tank will 36" x 24" but still have not decided on the height. Should I go 18" or 20" or 24" ? confused... any suggestion?

Also need advice on overflow, i kind of like option 1 or 5

Need some advice on the equipment and setup. Setup will be mix reef. I want to make sure i setup a good system because i did bad on my first setup.

1) Lighting: narrowed down to 3 brands/make. Which will be the better one?
a) AI Hydra 52
B) EcoTech XR30WG3Pro with Wide Angle Lens 
c) Kessil AP700

2) Wave maker: Maxspect Gyre XF130
3) Substrate: 1-1.5" Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink 0.5-1.5mm
4) Salt: Aquacraft Marine Environment Reef formula

Sump Setup
1) Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150 in-sump
2) Return & Backup pump: Jebao DC6000
3) Chiller: 1/4 hp one. not decided on the brand
4) ATO: Innovative Marine Hydrofill 
5) 2x TLF reactor 150: for GFO or carbon or bio-pallet

Aquascaping: live rock replica

Sump compartment 1: 100 micron filter socks and skimmer
Sump compartment 2: refugium with cheatos. not planning for any mud...any thought? maybe live rock with cheatos or DSB with chectos
Sump compartment 3: both return and backup pump. backup pump feeds chiller and chiller back to sump. 

Should i be a adding additional biological filteration media in the sump since i'm using live rock replica?

Any other thoughts on making my system an effective one?

Thanks in advance

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

Edited by kilo
addition questions

• SRC Member

Backup pump shd pump water up to DT instead of back to sump..its called backup pump coz if main pump fail, the DT still got circulation..

By the way, having a small refugium wont b much help..more senior reefers can advise on this..imho i feel that run reactor or having marinepure blocks work better.. :)

For setup, always go for the maximum size u can do..so get a taller height tank will look better but note that maintenance might b a chore.. cheers n happy reefing

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Backup pump shd pump water up to DT instead of back to sump..its called backup pump coz if main pump fail, the DT still got circulation..

By the way, having a small refugium wont b much help..more senior reefers can advise on this..imho i feel that run reactor or having marinepure blocks work better..

For setup, always go for the maximum size u can do..so get a taller height tank will look better but note that maintenance might b a chore.. cheers n happy reefing

Kenyee,
Thanks. On your 2nd point, are you suggesting run the reactor and marinepure blocks rather than the cheatos, DSB and live rock?

Will go for 24"

Thanks

• SRC Member
16 minutes ago, kilo said:

Kenyee,
Thanks. On your 2nd point, are you suggesting run the reactor and marinepure blocks rather than the cheatos, DSB and live rock?

Will go for 24"

Thanks

What I understand is that cheatos n DSB are for removing nitrate aka NO3..marinepure block is said to b able to remove NO3 n is easier to maintain..Some run biopellet..Some use biosphere..there is still alot of different way n they achieved the same result..every setup are different..

For rock wise, most will suggest to use cured/dry/replica rock so as to avoid any pest..as all rocks will become live rocks when ur tank matured..beneficial bacteria aka BB will grow on the rock surface making them live rocks..so the more surface the more BB..

Cheers n happy reefing :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

My condo management got back to my enquiry on the load rating of my balcony...i almost fainted...3kN/m2. Which mean on a 3x2ft foot print, i can only put 170kg. The tank, water, structure and rock will weigh ~650kg.
Does these load rating ever stopped anyone from putting your aquarium or what countermeasures can be taken.
If i put a 2sqm plate on the floor, then the tank on it, the weight will be distributed but practically?

10 hours ago, kilo said:

My condo management got back to my enquiry on the load rating of my balcony...i almost fainted...3kN/m2. Which mean on a 3x2ft foot print, i can only put 170kg. The tank, water, structure and rock will weigh ~650kg.
Does these load rating ever stopped anyone from putting your aquarium or what countermeasures can be taken.
If i put a 2sqm plate on the floor, then the tank on it, the weight will be distributed but practically?

The loading rating seems a bit low. So does that mean that it is not safe for an adult human to stand on the balcony. Average 70 to 80kg on a 1x1ft print. 

I take back my words that load rating is low. In fact it is higher than HDB rating of 1.5kN/m2. 

The load rating is actually for the whole area. So if your balcony is 5m2, then you can place up to 15kN distributed evening around your balcony. 

• Like 1

I take back my words that load rating is low. In fact it is higher than HDB rating of 1.5kN/m2. 

The load rating is actually for the whole area. So if your balcony is 5m2, then you can place up to 15kN distributed evening around your balcony. 

Like what you said, " distributed evenly ard your balcony" but the tank is a dead load on a 6 sqft. Not sure if that is a problem and Not sure what will be the issue if I ignore this.

• SRC Member

1 kN = 102 kg . Therefore 3kn/sqm means it can hold 306 kg per sqm. 6sqft is about 0.56sqm -> the floor can hold about 171kg for 3ft by 2ft area.

But our floor can hold much more although rated at 3kn/sqm or 1.5kn/sqm.

most of the fish tanks would have exceed the rating.

Current tank

Past tank