illumnae's SPS shallow reef

illumnae

• SRC Member

There are ways to keep them under control but not eradicate them.  Fish like spotted mandarins and leopard wrasses are reputed to eat them; and KZ Flatworm Stop helps too.  I'll be taking corrective action to eradicate them from my tank soon, but most people will not be willing to do what it takes.

• Like 1

Hi bro, thanks for sharing. Best wishes to your success on battering this pest. I hope to buy some spa frags from you when my tank is ready.

Cheers,

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I set a timer for 5 minutes, but after the timer goes off I individually "blow" them in front of a wavemaker to dislodge any aefw.  So by the time they actually make it back into the tank, it's about 10-20 minutes per colony/frag

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

And here's the new scape! Hope it looks good enough... I've set up 2 tubs and will start cycling the rocks in salt water with Fritz and Prodibio bacteria for 2 weeks. I may also dose some TM Reef Mud Vital into the tubs to hopefully seed some additional micro fauna into the rocks.

• SRC Member

Wow I just came across your post...

Real dedication in doing what you did. Hats off!

Back-breaking work. 

Just wondering- would it have been easier to medicate whole tank, and followed by 100% water change?

• SRC Member

Sand and tank walls not likely.  Rock I removed totally and will be replacing with the new scape.  I also swap the eggcrate stand weekly and wash/dry it in tap water in between swaps to make sure no eggs or worms hide there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

The dip process is finally over and I really hope that nightmare is over.  Rocks are now in but the tank is a mess as I haven't had the time to glue the corals in yet.  It's a lot easier buying a few a week and gluing them in than 70ish colonies and frags at once. The colour coordination gives me a headache!

40264783775_6f8e3cb5b6_b.jpg20180401_231138 by Yi Xiang Lye, on Flickr

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter
6 hours ago, illumnae said:

The dip process is finally over and I really hope that nightmare is over.  Rocks are now in but the tank is a mess as I haven't had the time to glue the corals in yet.  It's a lot easier buying a few a week and gluing them in than 70ish colonies and frags at once. The colour coordination gives me a headache!

40264783775_6f8e3cb5b6_b.jpg20180401_231138 by Yi Xiang Lye, on Flickr

Respect the effort!

Can consider getting a few spotted mandarins as in case the issue pops up again.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
8 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Respect the effort!

Can consider getting a few spotted mandarins as in case the issue pops up again.

Thanks bro!  It's really quite a backbreaking effort, but if it ends up with a nice looking tank like yours then it's worth it :)

I bought 3 spotted mandarins early on to help keep the problem under control, but surprisingly they fought quite fiercely amongst each other and now left with only 1.  I'm considering adding springeri damsels too as they're also reputed to eat aefw

• SRC Member
3 minutes ago, Zhi Long Oh said:

How much did u pay? I suppose u got it from iwarna?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yup that's where I got them from.  Pricing wise best to check with Iwarna

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...