My Slice of Nature (Part 3)

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

The things we do to keep fishes out & allow the coral a fair chance to feed.

Plastic tray covering the rock flower anemone during feeding time

P5290008 (Large).jpg

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Some tank updates.

Finally got 2 replacement pH probes for the Apex Neptune. The original ones were about 2.5yrs old & time for a change. The Pinpoint probes work great. As with any probes, they must be calibrated before use.

P6160015 (Large).jpg

Hooked up the DIY kalk stirrer & peristaltic pump to the Apex. 

P6180032 (Large).jpg

My current pH hovers between 7.9-8.1. This setup attempts the following :

(1) Stir kalk for 1 minute a couple of times a day

(2) Dose kalk at a constant rate slowly throughout the day until pH 8.3 is reached & attempts to maintain at around this level

(3) If pH 8.3 is reached then ATO pump takes over & replaces evaporated water with fresh water (no kalk)

Got one of these splash proof wire connectors. Especially useful in the sump area.

P6180017 (Large).jpg

In memory of this Florida Ricordea that detached & floated away....lost :(

P6030001a (Large).jpg

Trying to build a collection. 

P6170037 (Large).jpg

• SRC Supporter
17 hours ago, Ranz said:

nice collection of rock flower anemone!

Thanks...a 4th (and nicest one) didn't make it. Suspect it was hurt by a shrimp or crab digging into the anemone to pull out a recently fed piece of prawn meat. Could see cut marks on the body.

• SRC Supporter

The rock flower anemone color is amazing.. by the way, you mention that you use pinpoint ph probe for your apex and it is working well?

I bought a brs ph probe previously and try to use it on my apex but it doesn't seem to be able to calibrate the reading

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

Yes, the pinpoint probe is working well. I rechecked it a few days later by dipping it in the calibration fluid & the reading was accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
Yes, the pinpoint probe is working well. I rechecked it a few days later by dipping it in the calibration fluid & the reading was accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for the advise.. Maybe is the brs probe is not comparable then.

• SRC Supporter
On 6/24/2017 at 9:05 PM, he said:

Ok thanks for the advise.. Maybe is the brs probe is not comparable then.

That's odd. Any pH probes are supposed to work as mentioned by a seasoned user in the Apex user forum. 

• SRC Supporter

Changed to a shorter reactor to allow the slurry reach closer to the water outlet.

This is what it looks like after a 1.5min stir. Kalk is dosed after giving more time for the sediments to settle.

P6260142 (Large).jpg

With the Apex, it was easy to program to dose kalk only when the pH was on the decreasing trend. For the past week, the overall pH has gone up a little & observed reduced pH swings.

Someone asked me recently about the Nyos 220 skimmer. I can only say it pulls out a lot of crap and give peace of mind to feed freely. Very happy with it.

P6260128 (Large).jpg

On 6/27/2017 at 0:09 AM, SubzeroLT said:

Changed to a shorter reactor to allow the slurry reach closer to the water outlet.

This is what it looks like after a 1.5min stir. Kalk is dosed after giving more time for the sediments to settle.

P6260142 (Large).jpg

With the Apex, it was easy to program to dose kalk only when the pH was on the decreasing trend. For the past week, the overall pH has gone up a little & observed reduced pH swings.

Someone asked me recently about the Nyos 220 skimmer. I can only say it pulls out a lot of crap and give peace of mind to feed freely. Very happy with it.

P6260128 (Large).jpg

Cup looks kinda small, how often do u need to clear and wash it?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

The cup volume is 1.25L which is large enough for 1 week if skimming medium to dry.

In any case, I usually drain it to a bucket with a float sensor. Power to the skimmer is cut off when the bucket is 3/4 full & the Apex app sends me a notification.

I empty the bucket every 2 weeks on water change day. Wash the cup probably once a month. 

P6302078 (Large).jpg

P6302075 (Large).jpg

On 6/30/2017 at 10:57 AM, SubzeroLT said:

The cup volume is 1.25L which is large enough for 1 week if skimming medium to dry.

In any case, I usually drain it to a bucket with a float sensor. Power to the skimmer is cut off when the bucket is 3/4 full & the Apex app sends me a notification.

I empty the bucket every 2 weeks on water change day. Wash the cup probably once a month. 

P6302078 (Large).jpg

P6302075 (Large).jpg

Ah...I see. Nice diy skills with help of technology. 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

Some recent macro pics :

Rock Flower Anemone :

P7020150 (Large).jpg

Pocci 

P7020117 (Large).jpg

Yellow Feather Duster. 

P7020127 (Large).jpg

Forest Fire Digi. The green base colors coming back after trying a new amino acid

P7020049 (Large).jpg

Have been trying the Polyplab Colors concentrated amino acid recently.

Its very concentrated - that's a good thing as you are buying the real deal instead of a diluted product. 1 drop per 250 gallon (950L).

Though my system is roughly 1000L, I don't dose the full dose as my tank is not ULNS. I just dilute it with RODI in a container & dose half the amount.

PLColor (Large).jpg

Also been trying the Fauna Marin Bakto Balls. 

This is how a new ball compares with a depleted one. I suppose the gel ball is saturated with enzyme and/or bacteria which is slowly released.

P7020161 (Large).jpg

Time to discard some of the old ones?

P7020152 (Large).jpg

Cut one up a used one to see what's its like. Solid gel ball. Not hollow.

P7020160 (Large).jpg

• Like 2

• SRC Supporter
12 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:
Some recent macro pics :

Rock Flower Anemone :
P7020150 (Large).jpg

Pocci 
P7020117 (Large).jpg

Yellow Feather Duster. 
P7020127 (Large).jpg

Forest Fire Digi. The green base colors coming back after trying a new amino acid
P7020049 (Large).jpg

Have been trying the Polyplab Colors concentrated amino acid recently.
Its very concentrated - that's a good thing as you are buying the real deal instead of a diluted product. 1 drop per 250 gallon (950L).
Though my system is roughly 1000L, I don't dose the full dose as my tank is not ULNS. I just dilute it with RODI in a container & dose half the amount.
PLColor (Large).jpg

Also been trying the Fauna Marin Bakto Balls. 
This is how a new ball compares with a depleted one. I suppose the gel ball is saturated with enzyme and/or bacteria which is slowly released.
P7020161 (Large).jpg

Time to discard some of the old ones?
P7020152 (Large).jpg

Cut one up a used one to see what's its like. Solid gel ball. Not hollow.
P7020160 (Large).jpg

Need to throw away the used bacto ball ? I thought that we can continue using it until it fully melted in the tank

• SRC Supporter

I've been using them since February and the balls from different 'batches' reduce to about the same size. 

Will they fully dissolve? So I should not use the term 'depleted'. Will monitor over the next many months. 

• SRC Supporter

The kalk dosing regime seems to be quite reliable. No issues so far. And SPS growth seems to be picking up.

Probably need to top up the kalk once a month. I'm not sure if replacing the kalk is required.

Status wise, pH now hovers between 8.03 to 8.23 now. The minimum was in the 7.85-7.9 range prior to dosing kalk.

pH chart.jpg

Kalk stirrer in action.