My Slice of Nature (Part 3)

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

A tip for Clarisea users. Sometimes it can be difficult to pull out the used fleece from the roll because its wound so tight.

One workaround is to smear a generous amount of vaseline, underneath the plastic sleeve. Works like a charm.

P1010185 (Small).jpg

P1010188 (Small).jpg

A recent 3D printed part. 48mm to 30mm pipe adapter. With a fitting that routes water to a manifold for dripping water for acclimatization of new livestock.

P1010507 (Small).jpg

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Dipping some zoanthids

P1011049 (Small).jpg

Not harmful but they do multiply to scary levels

P1011048 (Small).jpg

Re-purposed the pH probe to be used as a frag rack. 3D printed a rack that holds the frag plugs snugly.

The normal egg crates are usually too large & plugs topple easily. This works much better.

IMG_6068[1] (Small).jpg

IMG_6071[1] (Small).jpg

Very handy magnetic pH probe holders to have on hand.  Here a basket is tied to it to house corals temporarily

P1010133 (Small).jpg

P1010128 (Small).jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Good idea on the DIY tray.. perfect for keeping zoas frag before transfering to the frag plug.

Dipping some zoanthids
1376260702_P1011049(Small).jpg.7715c0691510237c335250ba4ae1d79c.jpg

Not harmful but they do multiply to scary levels
877177208_P1011048(Small).jpg.fb7a9f79d3306c3a1cbafce805bbc1da.jpg

Re-purposed the pH probe to be used as a frag rack. 3D printed a rack that holds the frag plugs snugly.
The normal egg crates are usually too large & plugs topple easily. This works much better.
379897538_IMG_60681(Small).jpg.9f1b6bde703a9d9f871a71acf40ca6da.jpg

245853418_IMG_60711(Small).jpg.ae97aeb90bbe932f2174b1455cbadaa8.jpg

Very handy magnetic pH probe holders to have on hand.  Here a basket is tied to it to house corals temporarily
803672768_P1010133(Small).jpg.ea595aa6cd77d1ba73ff85c75edcaeee.jpg

666914519_P1010128(Small).jpg.f3c121ac56ac3e15a1f03866f06ea664.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Supporter

Attempting to attach several frags onto a long tonga rock. 

P1011089 (Small).jpg

P1011104 (Small).jpg

And attached the entire 9 inch'assembly' onto my existing rock. Refer to arrow for attachment point.

P1011109 (Small).jpg

All done with this glue. And not much was used. Ha...good glue!

P1011098 (Small).jpg

Live stock pics :

Chalk Basslet

P1011145 (Small).jpg

Eating Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets

P1060005 (Small).jpg

Wolverine?

P6150039 (Small).jpg

P6150025 (Small).jpg

Pocci

P6150018 (Small).jpg

Recent addition - Golden Torch from RR.

P1011185 (Small).jpg

Measured water parameters today :

Ca : 410

Mg : 1410

KH : 9.0         (I'm targeting at 8.5 - 9.3 range)

Running slightly higher KH works better for growth. And somehow better maintains the Ca/Mg balance.  

Just stocked up on more salt :)

IMG_6746[1] (Small).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Quite paranoid about power failure. Keeping the wavemakers running can make a difference in saving your livestock when power is down. The flow can create surface agitation for air exchange & some flow can bring oxygen to the corals.

Flow in the display tank takes priority over flow in the sump.

Got this Coralbox backup battery to hook up to the AI Nero wavemaker. This one is version 2 which now works for Nero & many more Jebao / Maxpect wavemakers & pumps.

IMG_6917[1] (Small).jpg

From what i heard from fellow reefers, Version 1 does NOT work for Nero.

P1011127 (Small).jpg

P1011128 (Small).jpg

P1011131 (Small).jpg

It comes with 2 outputs using the standard 2.35mm DC connector. I'm hooking up the 2nd port to a 12V air pump that I plan to run in the sump.

Uses a 7A fuse (in case you need to buy spares)

And its possible to run batteries in series to extend battery life.

For power failure mitigation, this is my setup :

• Total 3 batteries in total for my tank.
    • 1 Coralbex V2 battery (the one in this post) - For AI Nero
    • 2 Ecotech batteries for 2 Ecotech vortech wavemakers - For MP40 & MP60. (A few years old already. Possibly time for a replacement just in case.)

• Apex Neptune (using Heartbeat feature to notify you if its not able to connect to the cloud for the past 30min). This also means there is a 30min 'delay' before you are notified of a power failure. Sends mobile app & email notification. Also set up to call my phone (kiasu bo?)

• SRC Supporter
4 hours ago, Indeco said:

Bro, how do you handle equipment failure? E.g. return pump, chiller.

My fear is it fail and unable to get replacement on the day itself.

Having an Apex Neptune can help notify you immediately when things go wrong. Install sensors for triggers. The main worry of course is when equipment fails & you are at work or travelling.

And have spare of everything critical (eg. CO2 tank, CO2 regulator, CR recirculating pump, Extra return pumps, Ca/Mg/KH powder, apex brain module, pH probes etc)

Return pump failure? - I have 2 return pumps (Vectra M1) running in the tank. Each is set around 20%. Though a single return pump can handle the overall tank requirements, having 2 pumps provides some redundancy. Also have a spare Jebao pump on hand.

Chiller/compressor fail? - Apex neptune will trigger if temperature crosses over 28.5 degC. If so, I will remotely turn off all my LED lights to minimize addition of heat. Contingency is to turn on the room aircon until the chiller/compressor is fixed.

• SRC Member

I using caperplus and webcam to check for failure but I'm worry my pump and chiller only.

I guess I need to follow ur way add additional pump to the system, install compressor and use chiller as backup.

I also check with a few electrician see whether can install some back up power when my house power down but till now not able to do it. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter
On 6/17/2019 at 12:08 AM, Indeco said:

I using caperplus and webcam to check for failure but I'm worry my pump and chiller only.

I guess I need to follow ur way add additional pump to the system, install compressor and use chiller as backup.

I also check with a few electrician see whether can install some back up power when my house power down but till now not able to do it. Haha.

I think power backup for the entire house or even tank system is much  more involved. Generators or larger batteries may not be practical for most apartment dwellers.

The other reliable power failure notification system is isocket (uses 3G SIM card).

I used that in the past but just rely on Apex neptune notification for now (with 30min delay)

• SRC Supporter

Using the new batch Clarisea fleece for the past 2 weeks. New material, longer ....and same price :)

Fleece appears darker & seems to be picking up more stuff. My old batch fleece currently lasts about 1.5 - 2 months. Looking forward to the new fleece lasting even longer.

20190623_011104575_iOS (Small).jpg

Got a new single channel dosing pump from ReefmarketSG (see arrow in pic below). I got it for its versatility & ease of placement. Great for things like dosing NoPox or as simple ATO for the quarantine tank.

Easy to use mobile app user interface similar to the 4 channel dosing pump shared earlier. But this one is so small & convenient to position.

More pics later.

20190630_132908665_iOS (Small).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Got from ReefmarketSG.

I think it should be available from the other shops that carry Clarisea product as well.

• SRC Member
On 6/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, SubzeroLT said:

Measured water parameters today :

Ca : 410

Mg : 1410

KH : 9.0         (I'm targeting at 8.5 - 9.3 range)

Running slightly higher KH works better for growth. And somehow better maintains the Ca/Mg balance.  

Just stocked up on more salt :)

IMG_6746[1] (Small).jpg

Leon for your Salt Salinity what is your tank set at? May I know what the KH values for your fresh Salt MIX?

• SRC Supporter

40 minutes ago, Ashtrax said:

Leon for your Salt Salinity what is your tank set at? May I know what the KH values for your fresh Salt MIX?

My tank salinity is at 35ppt.

Not measured fresh salt water mix recently but recall its around 9+ KH.

• SRC Supporter

Finally snapped a pic of the male Watanabe Angel

P1010224 (Small).jpg

Starry Blenny

P1010182 (Small).jpg

The 2 big bullies of the tank

P1010168 (Small).jpg

Finally started to grow (and quite quickly) after many months

P7070231 (Small).jpg

P1010195 (Small) (1).JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Was away on a pretty long work trip to Barcelona. Love the architecture & food there.

IMG_E7583[1] (Small).jpg

Midway through, every reefer's nightmare came true - the CO2 tank for the calcium reactor ran out of gas (wonder why it ran out so soon this time).

No co2 (Small).jpgIMG_7621[1] (Small).jpg

Many thanks to Lawrence & Chun Wai for popping over to my place late on Sunday night to swap in the spare tank. 

Very fortunate to have technology today to be able to monitor parameters remotely and able to communicate with friends real time via whatsapp.

And then be able to remotely monitor KH via the Alkatronic & adjust the calcium reactor CO2 timing (via Apex) to compensate & push up KH till things are stabilized. 

This incident makes me think of further fool proofing it. Doestronic? Backup connected CO2 tank?

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

The alkatronic started to show "Restart" error after I moved things around.

P7230003 (Small).jpg

Its clearly because the algorithm detected an anomaly amount of reagent vs the pH reading its reading. Checked the luer connections is tight. Checked that the filter inlet is submerged under water. Checked there was enough reagent. All looked OK but I was still getting the "Restart" issue.

P7230007 (Small).jpg

After debugging further, found that the part of the silicon reagent tube/hose connecting to the hard tube has tiny micro holes and letting air in. This stress must be from the 1.5yrs of stretching over the hard tube. Snipped it off & reconnected the a fresh part of the hose back to the tube & its all good again :)

P7230012 (Small).jpg

• SRC Member
20 minutes ago, SubzeroLT said:

Was away on a pretty long work trip to Barcelona. Love the architecture & food there.

I

Midway through, every reefer's nightmare came true - the CO2 tank for the calcium reactor ran out of gas (wonder why it ran out so soon this time).

Many thanks to Lawrence & Chun Wai for popping over to my place late on Sunday night to swap in the spare tank. 

Very fortunate to have technology today to be able to monitor parameters remotely and able to communicate with friends real time via whatsapp.

And then be able to remotely monitor KH via the Alkatronic & adjust the calcium reactor CO2 timing (via Apex) to compensate & push up KH till things are stabilized. 

This incident makes me think of further fool proofing it. Doestronic? Backup connected CO2 tank?

Really glad to know that crisis was averted! Totally agree that it’s important to have some buddies to help attend to matters when one is overseas..

for some weird reason, equipment tends to fail when we are travelling. I was on a work trip to Europe too when upon reaching home, discovered that one of my wavemakers stopped working. Thankfully was ‘in time’ to replace it & prevent casualties!

It can be a stressful hobby :mellow:

• SRC Supporter

Got a square anthias from a LFS over the weekend. Looked OK at the shop but noticed a few patches on its body at home where the light is brighter.

Apparently anthias are susceptible to flukes. Took no chances.

IMG_7806[1] (Small).jpg

Went down to C328 on Saturday night get Prazi Gold. And the flukes started to fall out within a couple of minutes. Didn't really count but estimate maybe 60 of them.

IMG_7817[1] (Small).jpg

Fish didn't make. Died the next day :(

Should have checked it better before buying. Informed the LFS & they took action on their end.

• SRC Supporter
7 minutes ago, JMW said:

Really glad to know that crisis was averted! Totally agree that it’s important to have some buddies to help attend to matters when one is overseas..

for some weird reason, equipment tends to fail when we are travelling. I was on a work trip to Europe too when upon reaching home, discovered that one of my wavemakers stopped working. Thankfully was ‘in time’ to replace it & prevent casualties!

It can be a stressful hobby :mellow:

Yeah...exactly!

Must have various layers of backup equipment running in the tank system & contingencies in storage.

• SRC Supporter

Other updates :

The new batch Clarisea fleece is running great! So dark & dirty. And plenty more left in the reel.

I read on the DD facebook page that the cause of the fleece clumping up is the long screws holder the side panels are too tight, causing the white plate to bend.

P1010247a (Small).jpg

Switched over to Nyos Nitrate & Phosphate test kits. They use a 2 bottle indicator method which makes it a lot easier to read the colors and less guess work.

P1010250a (Small).jpg

Cheap & good quality test kits

P1010253 (Small).jpg

P1010255 (Small).jpg

New pump!!

P1010259a (Small).jpg

The outlet pipe adapter now supports a 1" pipe size (compared to M1's 0.75" pipe)

P1010261 (Small).jpg

Silicon hose in between instead of PVC pipe all the way to reduce vibrations up to the display tank. Also no need to fuss with exact PVC pipe length.

P1010273 (Small).jpg

Plenty of flow at 35% setting. That's my setting per pump. (I have total 2 Vectra pushing from the sump pushing water up to the display tank)

Definitely efficient. Only 14w power :)

M2 calibration.jpg

P1010278 (Small) (1).jpg

8 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Other updates :

The new batch Clarisea fleece is running great! So dark & dirty. And plenty more left in the reel.

I read on the DD facebook page that the cause of the fleece clumping up is the long screws holder the side panels are too tight, causing the white plate to bend.

P1010247a (Small).jpg

Switched over to Nyos Nitrate & Phosphate test kits. They use a 2 bottle indicator method which makes it a lot easier to read the colors and less guess work.

P1010250a (Small).jpg

Cheap & good quality test kits

P1010253 (Small).jpg

P1010255 (Small).jpg

New pump!!

P1010259a (Small).jpg

The outlet pipe adapter now supports a 1" pipe size (compared to M1's 0.75" pipe)

P1010261 (Small).jpg

Silicon hose in between instead of PVC pipe all the way to reduce vibrations up to the display tank. Also no need to fuss with exact PVC pipe length.

P1010273 (Small).jpg

Plenty of flow at 35% setting. That's my setting per pump. (I have total 2 Vectra pushing from the sump pushing water up to the display tank)

Definitely efficient. Only 14w power :)

M2 calibration.jpg

P1010278 (Small) (1).jpg

I also recently switched to nyos nitrate test Kits. But keep getting transparent and no color results. Does it mean my nitrate is 0ppm? My previous kit I’m using is Salifert but I have not been using it for a long time and the reagents hv expired. 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter
4 hours ago, Admiraltian said:

I also recently switched to nyos nitrate test Kits. But keep getting transparent and no color results. Does it mean my nitrate is 0ppm? My previous kit I’m using is Salifert but I have not been using it for a long time and the reagents hv expired. 

The nyos test kit is accurate & consistent. I'd trust the results.