My Slice of Nature (Part 3)

SubzeroLT

• SRC Member
On 1/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, SubzeroLT said:

Yes, no need for the needle/pinch valve. However, a good peristaltic pump is expensive & noisy. Hence the economical approach of using a feed pump method may just be more practical for many.

Personally, the 2 best flow control valves used are the (1) SMC needle valves, and (2) Flow-Rite Controls Pinch valve

P1050548.jpg

Agreed.

Am using the SMC needle valve but it still clog after awhile if the rate is too slow.

Where did you get the flow-rite control pinch valve? Overseas?

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• SRC Supporter
6 minutes ago, redsuns said:

Agreed

Where did you get the flow-rite control pinch valve? Overseas?

Purchased from USPlastic.com. 

I'm using the flow-rite one for CR effluent.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Purchased from USPlastic.com. 
I'm using the flow-rite one for CR effluent.

Ah, nice. Seen it on us plastic before but thought they don't send overseas so I didn't try. How is it performing?

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• SRC Supporter

The pinch valve works very well. Somewhat slightly less chance of clogging compared to the SMC needle valve at lower drip rates.

Having said that, the pinch valve won't eliminate the clogging issue entirely, but only minimize it as it has a 'smoother' surface inside the tube, less chance of calcium deposits being caught on sharp edges.

2 key issues with the calcium reactor are 

(1) Not aware that CO2 runs out. Tank kH continues to drop  until corals start to show signs of damage

(2) Effluent clogs & nothing comes out. PH remains very low in the CR & the media just melts like crazy to become mush. Disaster.

With the Apex Neptune, its possible to set up triggers to warn the above situations.

A typical Calcium reactor pH chart

PH_Chart_CRClog.jpg

Virtual outlet program to check if CO2 tank is empty
- Between 10am to 6pm, the CO2 should be running & pH levels should be quite low

- If it detects that pH still remains high >8, then it means that CO2 tank is empty.

CR_Low.jpg

Virtual outlet program to check if effluent is clogged

- CO2 stops around 11pm. By about 2am, the pH in the CR should have climbed up. But if pH remains low (<7.8), it means the effluent is clogged & little or no 'new' tank water is going into the CR

CR_High.jpg

Alarm trigger -> The following outlets sends a message to my mobile, office email & yahoo email 

email.jpg

• SRC Supporter
On 1/15/2017 at 0:00 AM, daveyy said:

Hey man. Nice tank.

How is ur water change regime like?

Thanks.

I change ~ 100L once every 2 weeks.

Not too troublesome. Mix salt/RODI water in a blue drum in the toilet. Drain display tank with a long hose to a marked level, then pump in the fresh water with the same long hose. Then drop in one vial of Prodibio Biodigest for added bacteria.

• SRC Member
Thanks.
Not too troublesome. Mix salt/RODI water in a blue drum in the toilet. Drain display tank with a long hose to a marked level, then pump in the fresh water with the same long hose. Then drop in one vial of Prodibio Biodigest for added bacteria.

Thanks for the info!

Do u drain the water directly into your toilet drain hole?

• SRC Member
Thanks.

Thanks for the info!

• SRC Supporter
1 minute ago, daveyy said:

Thanks for the info!

Goes into a pail before allowing it to overflow to the drain hole  - in case livestock gets sucked in the hose

• SRC Supporter

Got a notification on my phone this morning that the calcium reactor PH level is still high (>8pH) when its supposed to be low enough to be melting the coral chip.

Noco2.jpg

Went back during lunch time to take a look. Turned out that the CO2 tank was empty. With this notification, at least the reaction time to is quicker. I mixed about 0.5dKH worth of baking soda & let it drip during the day as I went back to work. Hooked up the new CO2 tank tonight.

Got a standby intense regulator washer just in case there are issues in future. I've heard stories of crushed washers leading to CO2 leaks. $4 from Aquatic Avenue.

P1160600.jpg

Anyone knows why the media in the CR is covered with brown slime? Someone mentioned diatoms/algae. But the door is closed most of the day & I don't have a refugium light nearby.

P1150570.jpg

Media level dropped about 2" in 2 months. Time to top up.

• SRC Supporter

Baby clowns hosting the anemone. Adult clowns prefer the torches instead.

P1150562.jpg

Finally fed the Super Sun. 3 weeks since the last feeding.

P1150558.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Changed my Hydra light setting to run around the 18.5k color temperature setting. Seen some positive results. 

Colony from fellow reefer. 

P1250234.jpg

Purple tips starting to show

P1250205.jpg

Hopefully this Badabing continues to color up

P1250201.jpg

This was originally deep green. Turning yellow. This piece from Reefing Reality Indo shipment

P1250223.jpg

Some pieces from Reefing Reality. 

P1250233.jpg

P1250273.jpg

P1250278.jpg

P1250261.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Someone whatsapp me asking what I feed my corals

Aside from the daily broadcast Mysis shrimp for fishes which will likely be taken by some LPS as well, I target feed Polyp Booster then Reef Roids separately, around 3-4 times a week. Either at night after lights off or early morning when the lights just turn on. 

P1290646.jpg

The super suns & anemones get some bits of prawn meat every 2 weeks just before water change.