Close up of the Nero5's thick/sturdy ceramic shaft

P1010417 (Small) (1).jpg

Back to my other wavemaker.... took it out for much needed washing

P1010395 (Small).jpg

Vinegar soak

P1010399 (Small).jpg

All clean.

P1010400 (Small).jpg

My clam moved around & touched the max mini anemone rock.

P9290129 (Small) (1).jpg

And now the anemone's have decided to latch onto the clam

IMG_1048 (Small).JPG

• Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

My compressor didn't cool properly late Saturday night. Took 1.5hrs to chill 1degC instead of the usual 30min.

The pipe froze as well. A reefer explained this is a tell tale sign of insufficient coolant.

IMG_1074 (Small).JPG

I contacted a few service people commonly referred to in the reefing circles but none could make it on Sunday.

Fortunately, I googled & found a serviceman who could come by on Sunday morning.

That night, the living room air con was turned on & some bags of ice placed in the sump.

IMG_E1094 (Small).JPG

5 min task to top up the gas & its all resolved. Many thanks to the reefers who offered to loan me a backup chiller or contacts for air con service.

IMG_1096 - Copy (Small).JPG

Just got a new roll of Clarisea fleece on standby. 
Last change was 29th July => 2 months 9 days to date. And still have ~1/4 roll left.

The roll should last about 3 months or slightly more :)

Very convenient indeed.

P1010423 (Small).JPG

Random tank pics taken today

P1010429 (Small).JPG

PA080144 (Small).jpg

Halloween Crab molted

PA070136 (Small).jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter
On 11/10/2018 at 12:14 AM, he said:

Comparing to vortech and the new Nero5 which one you feel is stronger ?

For water flow volume (strength), the Nero is between MP10 & MP40 based on the spec sheet. 

Nero compare (Small).jpg

Diameter of the Nero is 2.8". Its quite close to that of the MP40 (3"). Flow is quite wide.

Took a short video of just the Nero5 turned on. All the other wavemakers are off.

Can see its quite powerful. Able to push water all the way to the other side of the 5ft tank.  Personally I like a lot of flow in the tank, and have rock-scape limitations.....hence the multiple wavamakers.

Set up yours yet?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Coralline algae getting out of hand :(

Killed several heads of the supersun as it grows over the polyps :(       Time to get a tuxedo urchin

PA210447 (Small).jpg

New addition from Madpetz

PA210450 (Small).jpg

Messy colors

PA210473 (Small).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Took advantage of the roll change to add a union to the pipe. Its now possible to cable tie the flexible hose to the upper portion.

P1010485 (Small).jpg

The last roll lasted  3 months (changed 29th July 18)

P1010486 (Small).jpg

Other random snaps :

P1010580 (Small).jpg

Glad to see the 2 sea cucumbers moving around the tank together today.

Recall getting it back in Dec 2014 when folks told me "its good for clearing diatoms". The reality is that it moves too slow to be of any use. It split in June this year and remained in one spot for more than a month. Finally moving around quite actively now.

P1010528 (Small).jpg

Starry Blenny

P1010551 (Small).jpg

Red Scooter  Blenny

P1010519 (Small).jpg

Supersun

P1010511 (Small).jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, before using the roller mat you using sock or filter wool?

Can you see significant different with the roller map? The running cost is manageable?

Thx for your input, I'm looking at the roller mat now also.

• SRC Supporter
5 hours ago, Indeco said:

Bro, before using the roller mat you using sock or filter wool?

Can you see significant different with the roller map? The running cost is manageable?

Thx for your input, I'm looking at the roller mat now also.

I was using filter wool previously. That needed to be changed every 3 days before it clogged up.

The convenience of using the roller mat far outweighs the cost. The replacement fleece for the Clarisea is $35 (lasts 2-3 months).

Water is clear since it uses a 25 micron filter. Compared with wools or socks which are in the 200-400 micron pore size range.

I do let about 30% of water bypass the Clarisea simply because we don't need to over filter the system. This also helps extend the filter life. Over time, they will ultimately be picked up by the roller mat's 25 micron media. I feed my tank quite heavily with fresh prawn/fish meat daily. Nitrates are running around 5ppm which is still OK.

• SRC Member
I was using filter wool previously. That needed to be changed every 3 days before it clogged up.

The convenience of using the roller mat far outweighs the cost. The replacement fleece for the Clarisea is $35 (lasts 2-3 months).
Water is clear since it uses a 25 micron filter. Compared with wools or socks which are in the 200-400 micron pore size range.

I do let about 30% of water bypass the Clarisea simply because we don't need to over filter the system. This also helps extend the filter life. Over time, they will ultimately be picked up by the roller mat's 25 micron media. I feed my tank quite heavily with fresh prawn/fish meat daily. Nitrates are running around 5ppm which is still OK.

Yap, I'm having the same issue with filter wool. Max 3 days must change.

So the parameter improved alot after u install the mat? My main target is to reduce nitrate.

• SRC Supporter
2 hours ago, Indeco said:

Yap, I'm having the same issue with filter wool. Max 3 days must change.

So the parameter improved alot after u install the mat? My main target is to reduce nitrate.

Water parameters did improve a little. Conceptually, you are moving the dirt out of the water 'immediately'  instead of letting it decay on the wool.

How high high is your nitrate? It will make some difference but at the same time, don't expect a miracle about nitrate reduction with filter mat systems. 

• SRC Member

Yap that what I want, my Anthias is giving me headache as they grow. Haha.

Now I trying to control at 30ppm with changing filter wool, wet skim. Recently just add in biopallet but so far haven't see the result.

• SRC Supporter

Biopellets should be effective. Route the exit hose of the biopellet reactor to be placed right in front of the skimmer so that all of the slime gets siphoned (exported) away & not be left in the water column.

• SRC Member
Biopellets should be effective. Route the exit hose of the biopellet reactor to be placed right in front of the skimmer so that all of the slime gets siphoned (exported) away & not be left in the water column.

Yap doing it now, but I start very very low amount as to avoid cyano outbreak. Guess I will only see the effect after 2 to 3 months.

• SRC Supporter

Stocked up on some supplies.

P1010614 (Small).jpg

Took the Nero out for a quick wash after a month of use. So easy to take out to remove from tank & disassemble.

P1010607 (Small).jpg

Some random pics from the weekend

Bought from fellow reefer Alloy a couple of months back :

PB020263 (Small).jpg

PB020249 (Small).jpg

PB020196 (Small).jpg

PB020183 (Small).jpg

PB020237 (Small).jpg

Frag from fellow reefer from a few months back. Picking up some color.

PB020180 (Small).jpg

The Skimz CM122  running at pH 6.1 - 6.15  for  24hrs is just just marginally unable to keep up with tank demand. 

Alkatronic2 (Small).JPG

Need to manually dose KH, Ca & Mg. But doing it weekly. Time to get a larger calcium reactor.

P1010606 (Small).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Notice its turning yellow when viewed in whiter light

PB190003 (Small).jpg

PB190066a (Small).jpg

The light pink one was residing under the rock. Pried it out with a knife & placed it back to the top.

PB190055a (Small).jpg

Precious new frag

PB190056a (Small).jpg

The light setting I've been running the past 1.5 months.

AI Nov 18c (Small).png

A true workhorse.....time for a good vinegar soak.

PB190068a (Small).jpg

• SRC Member

When you say bypass means you are using fittings to bypass or the clarisea can be bypass? Btw how do you connect your pvc overflow to the clarisea? Will be good if you can share some photos.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
5 hours ago, Soleh Joe said:

When you say bypass means you are using fittings to bypass or the clarisea can be bypass? Btw how do you connect your pvc overflow to the clarisea? Will be good if you can share some photos.

This is a flap on the clarisea to open up so it 'bypasses' the fleece.

P1013106 (Small).jpg

A bit hard to take a pic of the connections now. But conceptually, this is the 'adapter' added to the end of the original pipe from display tank to adapt to a flexible hose that connects to the clarisea.

P1010619 (Small).jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Member
This is a flap on the clarisea to open up so it 'bypasses' the fleece.
5bf4273676096_P1013106(Small).jpg.4d2ca4b7fda374973174976bce2dc70d.jpg

A bit hard to take a pic of the connections now. But conceptually, this is the 'adapter' added to the end of the original pipe from display tank to adapt to a flexible hose that connects to the clarisea.
5bf42734761a6_P1010619(Small).jpg.25a1528a08e455ce7883d3d08574a8c1.jpg

Thanks for the info cause i'm figuring out if its possible to connect 2 dt to 1 clarisea cause im sharing 1 sump.

• SRC Supporter
11 minutes ago, Soleh Joe said:

Thanks for the info cause i'm figuring out if its possible to connect 2 dt to 1 clarisea cause im sharing 1 sump.

Yes its possible. Just need to be creative with the piping. Its not difficult.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter
How high you hang the light? Seems pretty bright.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Lights are about 30cm from water surface.
PAR measurements showed it’s about 500 at top rocks.

6c702eab46f8e88af80b9c70fc7ec0c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• SRC Supporter

This float switch doesn't 'float' so well anymore. No time to replace, it so I just added a piece of foam around it for the moment.

P1010620 (Small).jpg

Added a lot more Maxpect Biospere. 

P1010623 (Small).jpg

Rinse in RODI water to get rid of the fine dust & bits.P1010624 (Small).jpg

A nice touch of them providing plastic zippers. No fear of metals leaching into the water.

P1010629 (Small).jpg

There is a good sale happening now. Adding a 2nd Nero 5 :)

P1010640 (Small).jpg

Re-arranged the reactors & making way for a larger calcium reactor from a friendly reefer (you know who you are :) )

P1010642 (Small).jpg

Soap bubble test to check for leaks must always be done after replacing the CO2 tank.

P1010637 (Small).jpg

Someone asked about the Clarisea connection last week. Here are some pics.

Attachment from the pipe to the flexible hose

P1010630 (Small).jpg

P1010634 (Small).jpg

• Like 1