My Slice of Nature (Part 3)

SubzeroLT

• SRC Member
This float switch doesn't 'float' so well anymore. No time to replace, it so I just added a piece of foam around it for the moment.
5bfac08a8c8e1_P1010620(Small).jpg.b6b6588f1083c059865932484b0da012.jpg

Added a lot more Maxpect Biospere. 
5bfac1500d00c_P1010623(Small).jpg.651c5a5baf853a55c2910ed83fedc3d9.jpg

Rinse in RODI water to get rid of the fine dust & bits.5bfac169a35a7_P1010624(Small).jpg.f09990d952fec880ff7e51f657e66d19.jpg

A nice touch of them providing plastic zippers. No fear of metals leaching into the water.
5bfac15143980_P1010629(Small).jpg.2a367d8f2faae8b9f05f8c3e303382b1.jpg

There is a good sale happening now. Adding a 2nd Nero 5
5bfac1ee168d2_P1010640(Small).jpg.06bd52e218923e40ade0878d86109724.jpg

Re-arranged the reactors & making way for a larger calcium reactor from a friendly reefer (you know who you are  )
5bfac1ef3b78a_P1010642(Small).jpg.e701670008a5ef2c46e0b7d5cc138a06.jpg

Soap bubble test to check for leaks must always be done after replacing the CO2 tank.
5bfac1ed1ddfe_P1010637(Small).jpg.9ff27292c8b28c37a50e8dcdbd393811.jpg

Someone asked about the Clarisea connection last week. Here are some pics.

Attachment from the pipe to the flexible hose
5bfac3b94df48_P1010630(Small).jpg.d4dadc45d1f6787e9af02cdf2f79e943.jpg

5bfac39c41d84_P1010634(Small).jpg.6fa0f852b2ad258e3ebd594ba919c1f4.jpg
Good sharing for reefer that wants to go for clarisea but uncertain on how install it. thanks..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mind sharing where to buy the flexible hose?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Tank Size: 4 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft

Sump: 2.5ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft

Return Pump: Skimz QuietPro 9.0 DC Pump

Chiller: Hailea HS-66A

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect XF230 GYRE PUMP

Lighting: Maxspect R5-300W

Substrate: Caribsea Arag-Alive! Fiji Pink

• SRC Supporter
On 11/26/2018 at 10:34 AM, Bear said:

Mind sharing where to buy the flexible hose?

Mine was re-purposed from  my old vacuum cleaner & DIY installation.

But i know you can get the right sized ones from ReefmarketSG. Prices should be reasonable.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

Received a request about my Nero 5 settings. So here it is :

General view of the day's setting :

IMG_2237 (Small).PNG

Daytime setting :

IMG_2238 (Small).PNG

Evening setting :

IMG_2239 (Small).PNG

Night setting :

IMG_2240 (Small).PNG

Not much tank updates.

Made some silly error of having low salinity at 31ppt (1.023SG) for about 3 weeks. Corals slightly affected & recovering now.

Helping a fellow reefer host a chalice. Hope it colors up in a few months' time.

PC020077 (Small).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Its about 2.5 months since I started using the Nyos trace elements for this 850Ltank.

Just finished the 1st set today. Quite economical & seems to work well. 

IMG_2439[1] (Small).jpg

Free frag from a reefer friend from some time back coloring up nicely (Thanks so much for it)

PC100086 (Small).jpg

Quite glad to see the molted shell of a pom pom crab stuck on the tuxedo urchin. Got this crab almost a year ago but never seen it around (thought its dead already). Must be lurking around somewhere.

PC100085 (Small).jpg

Precious small frag of RBM seems to be losing the battle with coralline algae. Guess i'll need to cut the RBM :(

RBM battle (Small).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Noticed some wear marks on the Clarisea motor cable. Probably from regular pulling & tugging.

P1010673 (Small).jpg

P1010675 (Small).jpg

Better do something about it before it splits to expose the wire. Workaround is to cut a small piece of air tubing.

P1010674 (Small).jpg

And slip over the wire

P1010672 (Small).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Trying this media to absorb CO2 for the skimmer intake. Bought too many packets ...probably let go of some soon.

P1010758 (Small).jpg

Clarisea media finally finished yesterday (6th Jan 19). Last change was 28 Oct 18 => lasted 2 months 9 days. 

Not sure why my media seems to bunch up a little. Perhaps the take up reel was tightened straight.

IMG_3299[1] (Small).jpg

A fellow reefer mentioned about fishes getting into his overflow & gets sucked into the drain pipe. Most likely the fish will get stuck at the ball/gate valve area & die there :(.

To prevent this, this is what I've done on this tank : mount a large mesh cover over the siphon drain pipe.

IMG_3273[1] (Small).jpg

IMG_3274[1] (Small).jpg

Chalice appears hungry :

IMG_3340[1] (Small).jpg

• SRC Member

Nice co2 scrubber! Noticed any pH increase since deploying it? Also, is there any visual indication when it’s depleted? Maybe the pellets will change color or something 

• SRC Supporter
27 minutes ago, JMW said:

Nice co2 scrubber! Noticed any pH increase since deploying it? Also, is there any visual indication when it’s depleted? Maybe the pellets will change color or something 

Yes, this one changes color when depleted. 

pH clearly goes up by about 0.1-0.15

• SRC Supporter
9 hours ago, PowderTang said:

May I know how many fishes you have ? 

How would you be able to make the clarisea filter fleece last so long ? Is it by just raising the flap?

thanks 

I have 5 tangs, 9 cardinals, 3 wrasses & several blennies/mandarins/gobies. Fed quite heavily with home made frozen food/mysis daily.

Many of us run very high overall pump flow rates which in reality may not be really necessary. These high flow rates cause the Clarisea internal levels to rise too much & advance the filter fleece before it is really fully loaded.

Yes, I opened the flap to allow some water to flow out.  This ensures the fleece is fully loaded before advancing.

• SRC Supporter

A couple of things done over the weekend.

One issue with this leak sensor is that it either too sensitive (full contact with the 'salty' cabinet base) or does not trigger (bcos its too light & lifted up)

P1010823 (Small).jpg

Finally got down to making a simple holder

Leak detector holder.JPG

Printing in progress

P1010799 (Small).jpg

All done :)

P1010825 (Small).jpg

P1010826 (Small).jpg

Also got a new MP40 wet side. 

P1010793 (Small).jpg

And more glue

P1010899 (Small).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Finally the Nyos Torq is here.  Its such an innovative design that makes changing media so simple.

Specs for Body :  https://reefmarketsg.com.sg/product/nyos-torq-body/

Specs for Base : https://reefmarketsg.com.sg/product/nyos-torq-dock/

Base dimension : 162mm  x 162mm x 110mm (Height)

P1010805 (Small).jpg

Got the large 2L body. Both the 1L & 2L version allow 2 media to be placed in the tube.

P1010812 (Small).jpg

Giving it a quick wash with dishwashing liquid. Not a must but its just my common practice.

P1010829 (Small).jpg

Opening up the base to have a look. 

P1010807 (Small).jpg

Powered by 1000l/hr pump. 12W

P1010810 (Small).jpg

The design adjusts the flow through the variable slot at the base of the body.

P1010813 (Small).jpg

Just like their skimmer, build quality is fantastic. 

P1010816 (Small).jpg

Base is held in the tube via a reliable silicone O ring.

P1010819 (Small).jpg

Rinsing Rowaphos

P1010832 (Small).jpg

Recommendation is to place the longer lasting media at the bottom. So the bottom cover is popped open & Rowaphos added from the bottom end

P1010834 (Small).jpg

Carbon for the top half

P1010835 (Small).jpg

Sponge for the lid. 

P1010820 (Small).jpg

P1010837 (Small).jpg

P1010838 (Small).jpg

Its important to place the motor block on the sump base or stable surface. I initially placed it on an egg crate sitting on top of some bio media which wasn't very stable. That's risky as you don't want the reactor to topple (due to unstable surface) and risk popping open the bottom lid (and contents can spill out). Hence the emphasis to mount it on a stable surface like sump bottom.

P1010851 (Small).jpg

Goodbye to dreaded moments of pulling out tubes when its time to change media in a reactor

P1010845 (Small).jpg

Tuning the flow rate is done by rotating the tube body. Crazy easy.

• SRC Supporter
36 minutes ago, he said:

Got one for myself too... i like the way how easy it is to remove the torq for media change and allow the dismantling of the whole body . 

Its works better than my initial impression of the product. 

The 2L one  has enough space to place a loosely packed bag of heavy metal removal resin too.

• SRC Supporter
39 minutes ago, he said:

you completely change all your MP to the Maxspect bio sphere ? 

All my MP blocks/spheres & 2 bags of Bacteria King are removed & replaced with Maxspect bio sphere.

I still have a couple of bags of Bacteria King media in there. Intend to leave them there since they should be OK.

• SRC Member
All my MP blocks/spheres & 2 bags of Bacteria King are removed & replaced with Maxspect bio sphere.
I still have a couple of bags of Bacteria King media in there. Intend to leave them there since they should be OK.
Changed it because of the Alum leak?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• SRC Supporter
2 hours ago, redsuns said:

Changed it because of the Alum leak?

There is much chatter (though not 100% proven) that marine pure contributes aluminum. I removed them as a precautionary measure since the Maxpect spheres are not that expensive.

Other things done is to remove anything with aluminum bits (eg. John Guest quick fittings)

• SRC Member
There is much chatter (though not 100% proven) that marine pure contributes aluminum. I removed them as a precautionary measure since the Maxpect spheres are not that expensive.

Other things done is to remove anything with aluminum bits (eg. John Guest quick fittings)
Ic, yup the chatter has been ongoing for abit, I do have quite alot of MP still though. Still in 2 minds if I should swap them out. Have you done a pre and post icp test?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Some folks have complained about Ecotech Reeflink & difficulties with connecting to ecosmartlive. Some have commented its related to the ISP (internet service provider) blocking the server which is probably untrue.

Personally, this worked for me. If you can't get the blue light even after powering off/on the Reeflink, try rebooting your router and the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). Works for  me.

P1010034 (Small).jpg

Topping up the kalk reactor.

P1010045 (Small).jpg

This was originally from Larry (Thanks).

P1010052 (Small).jpg

The coral feeding tube tends to get food stuck in inside. Best way to clean it is to stuff a small piece of sponge & push it through with a plastic filament. Mine is from a spool of 3D printing media.

P1010057 (Small).jpg

P1010058 (Small).jpg

Nitrates creeping up a little. Set up a biopellet reactor (FR45 + NP Biopellets).

Tuned up the Vectra S1 to about 85% power