Started a nano tank

Harry H

• SRC Member

f2019dfa8df608ce1b1ced49c1bd1bb9.jpg23722066ed0797f4d630923be0fd078e.jpg

Here are the photos first. It is morning and the corals are already awake.

The Tunze 6040 has this ability to make the waves of the sea. If you dive, you will be familiar with the pattern. It is just not a strong blast of water flow. It causes the water level to go up and down. Think of it like a wavebox and wavemaker combined. You need to adjust the frequency and amplitude of the wave pattern. And tunze 6040 has this auto wave feature but you still have to manually tune it. I have like 6 wavemakers all these years and this is the most amazing product by far. I suppose the gryre (wrong spell) wave thingy can do that as well. Please google and see the video of tunze 6040 in action.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Bro, can share what setting ur tunze 6040 is set at?  

Sorry for the late reply. I use the auto wave function and when the water level starts behaving like an up and down movement I clicked Set. It is zero for pulse power(?) - the last knob. Power of the wave is set to lowest setting.

• SRC Member

Hi (assuming you are asking me.. not very used to the forum interface), it is jebao AK-60. It is a clone of the Kessil blue. But I recalled nearly 1/3 cheaper or even more.

What is your setting like? I set mine blue Max and white about 80%.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

32920fdcdc9073940dad7846b6c4d66c.jpg

Reverse Osmosis water

I should have known better. Ok I am in the water treatment business which explains why this is embarrassing lol. I have often withheld the purchase of a RO unit bec a) takes up space b ) come on! I am in the water biz why buy a machine from another co (mine is more industrial/commercial) c) I like the idea of going to a LFS using buy saltwater as an excuse. Don't we all! And yes I have to combat red, green "algae", bacteria, non performing corals etc. I just got the small RO from FM. Now the tank is incredibly clean and you can feel the fishes and corals are happier. What took me so long despite all the seasoned reefers here recommending RO/DI water? There is a bit of water wastage but I can repurpose the "waste" water for my plants, freshwater tank and other household chores. So if you are a newbie reefer like me, go for RODI. It is not compulsory but it makes your life so much easier. That should be the first few things I got.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Innovative Marine 10g Tank update
1. Took me more than 2 years to figure out how to squeeze in the Tunze skimmer, the IM biopellet reactor, the filter cartridge caddy and the outlet/inlet pipe to my external Fluval 206 canister and chiller into the small IOS.
2. The corals are not full bloomed yet after all the aquascaping.
3. Why canister? Because I love the canister pump. When I relied on a simple pump it jams once a while and the chiller water can’t go in and the tank overheats esp when I am not around. And using a canister ain’t that bad as o see it as an external “sump” for all the filter media.
4. Previously I had 4 hoses. The dreaded ribbed hoses supplied by Fluval canister and I connected it to the Arctica chiller. Bec the hose connection leaked, I submerged the connection point in the IOS itself. This means four hoses in the IOS!!! Today I found the right sized Eheim hose that could replace the Fluval ribbed hose with no leakage. So 4 becomes 2 hoses.

19e5c15713ca68f418a4a483da1ce29a.jpg
e37bbe32a6d909ecb57e04606864c724.jpg

• SRC Member
On 11/24/2017 at 5:31 PM, Harry H said:

Innovative Marine 10g Tank update
1. Took me more than 2 years to figure out how to squeeze in the Tunze skimmer, the IM biopellet reactor, the filter cartridge caddy and the outlet/inlet pipe to my external Fluval 206 canister and chiller into the small IOS.
2. The corals are not full bloomed yet after all the aquascaping.
3. Why canister? Because I love the canister pump. When I relied on a simple pump it jams once a while and the chiller water can’t go in and the tank overheats esp when I am not around. And using a canister ain’t that bad as o see it as an external “sump” for all the filter media.
4. Previously I had 4 hoses. The dreaded ribbed hoses supplied by Fluval canister and I connected it to the Arctica chiller. Bec the hose connection leaked, I submerged the connection point in the IOS itself. This means four hoses in the IOS!!! Today I found the right sized Eheim hose that could replace the Fluval ribbed hose with no leakage. So 4 becomes 2 hoses.

19e5c15713ca68f418a4a483da1ce29a.jpg
e37bbe32a6d909ecb57e04606864c724.jpg

Can you enlighten me how you place your biopellets reactor and skimmer in the compartment? did you replace the divider?

• SRC Member
On 1/14/2017 at 1:00 PM, Harry H said:

6b1f7aae24149d835daf7f852f08b2f2.jpg

I did not remove the glass separator in the tank too much work. All I did is flip the motor unit 180 degree (9001 can do that). Remove the magnet for attaching to the glass. I trim off the black plastic magnet holder. And it fits perfectly. If you don't wish to trim off I think it is fine too.

So apart from the IM desktop ghost skimmer, the Baoyu small cylindrical skimmer, you now can add tunze 9001 skimmer.

Disregard my previous message thank you.

• SRC Member

Tunze skimmer 9001 is in the mid chamber. It perfectly fits so well you would have thought it is made for Innovative Marine. The third chamber is for the IM bio reactor and the two hoses - for the chiller and external Fluval 206 canister. So they do not share the same chamber. There is no need to modify the partitions.