Jo's Little Reef

josephwzr

• SRC Supporter
Picked up this bad boy from reefmarketsg recently and will be setting it up soon!
Image1538794539.971600.thumb.jpg.e27f9eea171945def465604edcb82fe3.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
Good buy since the entry model is more affordable now ...heehee

• SRC Member
Good buy since the entry model is more affordable now ...heehee

Indeed, almost half the price of the 2016 version. But now that I’ve bought the ApexEL, I’ve been looking at several extension modules which will cost me a lot

• SRC Supporter

Good to see fellow Apex users. I'm keen to learn how others are using it & always on a lookout for innovative ideas.

BTW, what modules are you planning to get?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Good to see fellow Apex users. I'm keen to learn how others are using it & always on a lookout for innovative ideas.
BTW, what modules are you planning to get?

Excited to get it hooked up. I’m planning to get the WXM Wireless extension module for my radions and the DOS dosing pump for now. If budget allows, will get trident when it’s released.

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Been 1.5years since I updated my thread. Many things have changed, from equipments to livestocks, and many new problems along the way.

To start off, I swapped out my gyres for 2 mp40s. It was too much of a hassle to maintain the gyre, as cleaning it would mean I have to redo my wiring each time. With the MP40, it’s so much more convenient to just remove the wet side and clean it.

E96A9426.JPG

A problem that I’ve been facing for the past 2months is green cyano. I can’t seem to get rid of it, despite having relatively low nutrients. NO3 10-25, Po4 0.025. At this point, I’m still trying to fight it without having to dose any chemicals. After much consideration, I decided to purchase an Aqua Ultraviolet 25w, in hopes of battling this nuisance algae. I’ve also been doing 10% wc weekly, so I hope to see good results soon. Patience is key!
E96A9420.JPG

• SRC Member

Moving on from the technical stuff, I’ve recently added some new fishes to the tank. I’ve been very fond of leopard wrasses since the start of the hobby, and always wanted to keep multiples of them together.

To start off, I now have a beautiful Vivienne wrasse, slightly skinny but it’s eating all sorts of food well.
E96A9434.JPG

Next up, a jewel wrasse.
E96A9441.JPG

My all time favourite, the splendid leopard wrasse. You may notice that the colouration seems abit weird. I suspect it’s undergoing the process of sequential hermaphroditism, where it turns from a female to male(protogynous). A more commonly known hermaphroditism occurs in clownfishes, where all are born male, and at some point in their life cycle they may turn into females(protandrous).
E96A9442.JPG

If anyone wonder why I have 3 leopard wrasses co-exhibiting, is because I added all 3 roughly at the same time. Otherwise, they are most likely to fight since they are pretty territorial fishes of the same genus. However, I do hope to add a chaoti wrasse in the future.

• SRC Supporter
1 hour ago, josephwzr said:

Been 1.5years since I updated my thread. Many things have changed, from equipments to livestocks, and many new problems along the way.

To start off, I swapped out my gyres for 2 mp40s. It was too much of a hassle to maintain the gyre, as cleaning it would mean I have to redo my wiring each time. With the MP40, it’s so much more convenient to just remove the wet side and clean it.

E96A9426.JPG

A problem that I’ve been facing for the past 2months is green cyano. I can’t seem to get rid of it, despite having relatively low nutrients. NO3 10-25, Po4 0.025. At this point, I’m still trying to fight it without having to dose any chemicals. After much consideration, I decided to purchase an Aqua Ultraviolet 25w, in hopes of battling this nuisance algae. I’ve also been doing 10% wc weekly, so I hope to see good results soon. Patience is key!
E96A9420.JPG

Did you see any improvement after running the UV ?

• SRC Member
Did you see any improvement after running the UV ?

In terms of water clarity, yes there is. Previously my tank water would only be clear in the morning to early afternoon(not sure why), but with the UV, clarity is there throughout the day. But for diatoms and green cyano, not much improvement yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Previously I mentioned that I’m battling against green cyano, and now I’m proud to say that I’ve won 90% of the battle with the help of Fauna Marine’s Red X. I will be making a short review of the product separately on a new thread, as I will keep this one short.

Before
IMG_4544.JPG

After 14days
IMG_4717.JPG

Now that the Red X treatment is over, I’ve also dosed FM rebiotic as recommended, which is meant to repair and restore bacterial stability in the tank.

Mixing the rebiotic into 1litre of water.
IMG_4692.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • SRC Member

It’s been a year since my last update. My “little reef” is no longer little anymore. Upgraded to a Red Sea 750XXL (6ft) earlier this year. Here’s a photo of it when I first got it setup.

E96A9751.JPG

I’ve also DIY-Ed my own plumbing as I’ve read that the stock valve that came with Red Sea tanks were inconsistent, and required constant cleaning and tuning to achieve silent operation. Went ahead to pickup all my plumbing supplies from ReefMarketSG.

IMG_6631.JPG

Tank is now almost 8months old, battling all sorts of algae. Will post a more updated picture soon.

• SRC Member

With plans to introduce wrasses and jawfishes, I’ve decided to add a net top for the tank. Was contemplating between the DD and Red Sea net, and decided to get the Red Sea as I’ve used the DD one before, and would like to give Red Sea a try.

IMG_7057.JPG
Overall, both Brands have its pros and cons. The Red Sea frame was easy to cut with dremel, but incredibly challenging to spline the netting onto the frame. Too much force will cause the net to break.

Compared to DD, the frame was slightly difficult to cut, even with a dremel. However, netting was really easy to add on.

CFD8B7DE-E75F-4E7A-A8A7-FF3395775721.jpg

I’ve also added a 3D printed feeding ring from ReefMarketSG, now I don’t have to constantly remove my netting in order to feed frozen food/seaweed.

• SRC Member

The weekends are here! Time for a little tank maintenance. Will be taking the mp40 wetsides out for a clean.

IMG_8475.JPG

For those who know, vinegar can be a little harsh to the seal, which may result in the wetside to rust. Having seen a review of a product called AE cleanse on another thread, I decided to give it a shot as well.

IMG_8482.JPG

Soaked the wetsides in the ready-to-use solution for about an hour, and true enough, the coralline has soften and can be easily rubbed off with a sponge. IMG_8476.JPG

Clean wetsides back into the tank
IMG_8477.JPG