Cycling

edmund_23

• SRC Member

Need some pointers and advice on wat to do next at this stage of cycling..

Screenshot_2016-11-10-10-54-15.thumb.png current parameter at Day 12 of cycling.

Dun understand why my NO3 is so high where there is still trace of NO2.. Im dosing bacteria everyday.

Anyone masters can advice on wat to do next or just continue dosing bacteria and wait..

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Day 12 is is probable 50%-75% of cycling process.

To speed up cycling, you can buy sea water, use aged water from some reefers, add 2 market prawn and wait.

Dosing Bac without feeding them and if without rocks/ceramic ring for them to colonize is going to be slow.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Day 12 is is probable 50%-75% of cycling process.
To speed up cycling, you can buy sea water, use aged water from some reefers, add 2 market prawn and wait.
Dosing Bac without feeding them and if without rocks/ceramic ring for them to colonize is going to be slow.

I have 1 big bag of coral chips and with rocks.. Market prawn added on day 3 and remove on day 10.. So you mean now buy nsw to add in or wc with nsw?

• SRC Member

Actually I do not remove the market prawn. Make sure it decompose and disappear for ever. That is the purpose of the prawn.

To buy NSW perform water change 50% probably is what I will do now if you want to be fast. Means u spent more. Else just wait it out.

Dun waste money on test kit also at this stage. A Chromis on day 30 will do the job. 

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Actually I do not remove the market prawn. Make sure it decompose and disappear for ever. That is the purpose of the prawn.
To buy NSW perform water change 50% probably is what I will do now if you want to be fast. Means u spent more. Else just wait it out.
Dun waste money on test kit also at this stage. A Chromis on day 30 will do the job. 

I also thought of doing a wc.. But nv see anyone do a wc during cycling process so i find it funny to do so.. Test kits already buy liao..

• SRC Member

As the saying goes there are many ways to skin a cat. Some are costlier while others takes a longer time but cheaper. So really depends on how patient you are. As a matter of principle I will never use a life fish to cycle a tank. And in any case when a tank is cycled that does not mean that there is a full colony of bacteria to handle a full load of livestock. I beleive that the maturing process goes on as we stock the tank.

• SRC Supporter
4 hours ago, edmund_23 said:

Need some pointers and advice on wat to do next at this stage of cycling..

Screenshot_2016-11-10-10-54-15.png current parameter at Day 12 of cycling.

Dun understand why my NO3 is so high where there is still trace of NO2.. Im dosing bacteria everyday.

Anyone masters can advice on wat to do next or just continue dosing bacteria and wait..

IMO, the decomposing market prawn is generating a lot more organic waste than a typical fish load of tank does. Probably more than your new tank can manage.

The system may not be able to process so much at one time quickly & hence nitrites may still be present. Since your market prawn is removed, monitor it after a few days.

Some test kits (eg Salifert) has a phenomenon where a bit of nitrite will show up as a lot of nitrate.  The chemistry of it was explained by Randy Holmes Farley in other forums.  This explains for your 100ppm of nitrate (false reading). Once the nitrite is gone, you will see nitrates in the 'normal' levels.

Hence, don't do a WC. Wait a few days for the nitrites to be converted to nitrates completely then test again.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
IMO, the decomposing market prawn is generating a lot more organic waste than a typical fish load of tank does. Probably more than your new tank can manage.
The system may not be able to process so much at one time quickly & hence nitrites may still be present. Since your market prawn is removed, monitor it after a few days.

Some test kits (eg Salifert) has a phenomenon where a bit of nitrite will show up as a lot of nitrate.  The chemistry of it was explained by Randy Holmes Farley in other forums.  This explains for your 100ppm of nitrate (false reading). Once the nitrite is gone, you will see nitrates in the 'normal' levels.

Hence, don't do a WC. Wait a few days for the nitrites to be converted to nitrates completely then test again.

Ya.. Read up in reefcentral, some ppl are having no2 trace when using salifert test kit.. Will moniter further. Thanks for the info..

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Just continue to monitor till NO2 is convert to NO3.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Usually when I tested my ammonia is zero and Nitrate built up, I usually ignore measuring the Nitrite because I assume it will be zero too.
Only check nitrite when I have ammonia spike due to something died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Hi Edmund, what is the status of ur cycling? Did u add fish already? My tank is in cycling now too..

Done.. I leave it for 1 weeks and test, parameter no change as before.. So a reefer pass me a bottle of bacteria and i just dose it on thurs night and fri night i test and to my surprise nh4-0 no2-0.1 no3-25.. So i sat did a water change and parameter nh4-0 no2-0 no3-10.. I let it run for another week then slowly add 1 to 2 fishes per week..

• SRC Member

Done.. I leave it for 1 weeks and test, parameter no change as before.. So a reefer pass me a bottle of bacteria and i just dose it on thurs night and fri night i test and to my surprise nh4-0 no2-0.1 no3-25.. So i sat did a water change and parameter nh4-0 no2-0 no3-10.. I let it run for another week then slowly add 1 to 2 fishes per week..

Oh ok..good..thank u..

• SRC Member

Hi Edmund, how much bacteria did u dose? Is it written in the bottle dosage rate?