PE

SSC

Many of my sps don't have extended PE. They do have PE for a short period of them when I bought them. However, they stopped after a couple of weeks.

Would really appreciate any advice or reasons why this is happening.

Thanks in advance 

Bro SSC,

How long have your tank been running ?

Have you been keeping up at maintaining a stable parameters ? please share more about how is your tank husbandry so that other experienced reefers could help out  :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Bro Cedric,

my tank is about 3mths old. Parameters are ard 8.5 kh; 1350mg and 415 ca. NO3 is below 3 but PO4 is 0 which is too low. Just to add that the sps does have PE at night after the lights are off. Water change abt 5% weekly 

I think the tank is fairly new imo... my personal observation is that a better matured tank seems to encourage a much better PE even during the day time .

Perhaps once your tank gets more matured by the day , you might see better PE  :)

On 1/2/2017 at 2:12 PM, cedricang said:

No problem.  :)

Hi Cedric,

Need your views whether there are such thing as 'matured water' in 'matured tank'  .

There is definitely 'matured liverocks'  which have many coraline algae and many critters and good algae .There is mature filtration/sump system which after a year or two have lots of bacteria .  I dont think there is 'matured current flow' or 'matured lighting' which needs to be at par from the start else tank wiill not be great ever.

INeed to understand about the waters. Successful reefers generally does 10% WC weekly so the original water and components eg salt,ca,mg,dkh,k,AA, has  already been replaced like  3-8 times after 2 years..  Is there anything  or can be found different  in the water after 2 years ?  

Just getting views from your long successful experience . Should not have a definite right or wrong. answers ...maybe different successful reefers may even have deferring answer to such.

Hi Mike, 

Just like "Qi" in the Chinese medicine, something which the modern medicine is unable to measure and quantify. Likewise imho, matured water is something narrative, describing the ability of the water ( actually its the overall bio-logical system) to sustain the overall livestocks within the enclosed tank system, providing a thriving and healthy environment.

Like you said, there's no right and wrong. It depends on which way you want to look at and attempt to explain it  :)

So any one who ask me the same question if there is such thing call matured water, I would still say...YES.

Cheers !

• Like 1

Maybe a related question on water. The PO4 reading in new tank is almost 0. Sps are looking bleach because of this yet there's algae bloom in the tank. What could be cause of this bloom? I am using artificial rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the missing PE problem. Been watching the tank for a while and also checking on Internet. Guess the main cause is my angels nipping at the sps.

anyone with great ideas to stop this other than removing the angels?