AloysiusMun 38gallon Lagoon (60x60x40cm)

AloysiusMun

• SRC Member

Been a very long time since I decommed, moving back to marine after such a long hiatus. I moved into PRL w Bucephalandra for the whole of last year. Went pretty high end but I still couldn't get the satisfaction. Ultimately got the green light from my Fiancé to go for a small Lagoon tank. Will try my hands at SPS again! (Keeping my fingers crossed)

Intended Equipment list:

60x60x40cm tank (no overflow)

AI Prime x1 (from my existing tank) will get another unit or more when I'm going to start putting SPS in. 

Deltec mce600 (HOB)

Vortech mp10qd 

Healia HS66a (existing chiller, driven using empty Ehiem 2217; chamber just in case I need to use media)

Aquaroche rocks (2 small islands, very sparse is the plan)

Thin layer of Aragonite sand just to cover the bottom  

Bacteria will be Biodigest

For now I will stick to 15% weekly water change till the demands of the Coral are more intensive then Fauna Marin light balling method with a auto doser. 

Livestock will be a pair of designer clownfish. A full helmet picaso clownfish and a gladiator picaso clownfish (currently the breeder is trying to help me pair them up). 

I saw some very enticing photos of colourful sticks from @cedricang. Guess it's a comeback and hopefully a good one! 

Would love to hear everyone's advise!

• SRC Member
7 minutes ago, cedricang said:

Welcome back Aloysius... its been a long time ^_^

Indeed. Was very happy to get the green light. Hahaha 

Looking at setting up a SPS dominated sparse reef to start with. Will probably get some BN or simple to keep SPS to begin with once my tank is up. 

Maybe I should pop over your place one of these days just to have a chat and catch up =)

• Like 1

Looking fwd to ur setup and pics of ur tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Seems like the Deltec mce600 is out of stock and I Guess it's fated. 

Read that Tunze 9012 DC is a good skimmer and I decided to go for that instead. 

Also decided to up my Wavemaker to a Vortech Mp40qd. My braceless tank will need to be 1cm glass at least (which the mp10 can't support, checked the vortech website and realised that mp10 will be under power for a SPS tank Of my volume). So again fated. More flow better for SPS too.

Will keep updating this thread with more news! :D

• SRC Member
Seems like the Deltec mce600 is out of stock and I Guess it's fated. 
Read that Tunze 9012 DC is a good skimmer and I decided to go for that instead. 
Also decided to up my Wavemaker to a Vortech Mp40qd. My braceless tank will need to be 1cm glass at least (which the mp10 can't support, checked the vortech website and realised that mp10 will be under power for a SPS tank Of my volume). So again fated. More flow better for SPS too.
Will keep updating this thread with more news! 

You might want to try Reef Octopus BH1000, quite a good HOB Skimmer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
7 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

You might want to try Reef Octopus BH1000, quite a good HOB Skimmer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a quick look, seems to be a decent skimmer but not as adjustable.

I also like the 9012 for the surface skimming function. Not forgetting that this tank has no overflow to remove the film build up. 

Filtration for this tank is rocks, skimmer and a minimax bioreactor. 

Im still thinking if the bioreactor is overkill as the only bioload in the whole tank is tentatively 2 picaso clowns and if I can find one, a flaming prawn goby.

• SRC Member

Had a nice Long chat with Razali at DE aquatic 2 days back and finalised my purchase list below:

60x60x40cm braceless 10mm, front crystal (clear silicon)
Maxspect xf230 2 pump Set w Controller 
Tunze 9012 DC skimmer 
Aquaillumination Prime HD w Mount 
Tunze 3152 osmolator 
De rocks- 218004+218002+218011+218003
Caribsea Reef grade special soil 
D-D H2Ocean 
Refractometer
Salifert- Nitrate, Ca, Kh
Hana Meter hi736 (phosphorus ULR)+ spare reagents 
Biodigest Start up 
Biodigest maintenance 
TLF C-Balance 
Bubble Magnus T11 (3 channel doser)
Marine Pure Sphere to be used in canister 

Current equipment:
Ehiem 2217
Aquaillumination Prime w mount 
Hailea Hs66a

Wah the damage is really quite painful. Hahha 

That aside. I have news from my Clownfish breeder that the full face helmet and gladiator I chose are pairing quite nicely. Hope all goes well! 

• SRC Member

Hi bro...

nice equipment list so far... glad u changed yr mind about aquaroche rocks... those are an algae magnet. I've been using the ai prime non hd for my office pic (30cm tank) and I find it rather underpowered.. so if you're considering sps then u might wanna think about an upgrade. But I guess since you already have it, there's no harm trying. Also dont forget the magnesium test kit. TLF C-balance is fine. Painful one time is ok... just as long as u start off right...

• Like 2

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

• SRC Member

Yea 2 units AI Prime. One of them HD, one not. I will be keeping mainly SPS  

So you would suggest a Hydra52 HD for this set up? Lagi Painful. Hahhaa 

20 minutes ago, Bunster said:

Hi bro...

nice equipment list so far... glad u changed yr mind about aquaroche rocks... those are an algae magnet. I've been using the ai prime non hd for my office pic (30cm tank) and I find it rather underpowered.. so if you're considering sps then u might wanna think about an upgrade. But I guess since you already have it, there's no harm trying. Also dont forget the magnesium test kit. TLF C-balance is fine. Painful one time is ok... just as long as u start off right...

• SRC Member
50 minutes ago, AloysiusMun said:

Yea 2 units AI Prime. One of them HD, one not. I will be keeping mainly SPS  

So you would suggest a Hydra52 HD for this set up? Lagi Painful. Hahhaa 

ah... sorry... thought u only had one unit... I think it might doable with easier sps like birdsnest and montis, also important is your placement of corals.... good luck with your new tank... will be following

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

• SRC Member
47 minutes ago, Bunster said:

ah... sorry... thought u only had one unit... I think it might doable with easier sps like birdsnest and montis, also important is your placement of corals.... good luck with your new tank... will be following

Hahha spend so much of course slowly will go more exotic corals. Especially with friends like Cedric sure die one la. Birdnest is for lower placement, higher up for exotics :evil:

I could stick to my 2 Primes.

Really insufficient then add one more HD. 3 Primes will definitely be better spread then one Hydra52 HD. 

Sounds like a plan? Hahaha 

Edited by AloysiusMun
Add info

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, quarantasei said:

Good choice on the DE rocks. I actually used them in my established tank to change some scaping and very minimal leeching. So their claim is definitely legit. It is quite porous too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cool. That's good to know! Waiting on my delivery next Sat.

Burn money burn..... Hahaha

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, AloysiusMun said:

Yes I was using AI Prime in my PRL tank with Bucephalandra plants =)

Ai  prime has lights spectrum range even for freshwater plants? I'm using maxspec and they separate lights models for marine and fresh.