Advice needed: Compressor coil setup

• SRC Member

Hi all, looking to make a comeback in my new flat. As I have never tried using compressor titanium coil chilling, can I check if it is feasible for me to do it in my flat's layout? Was told by my contractor that the piping needs to run throughout the whole flat at the North side to get one round to the air-con ledge, not feasible. Or is there no way and I am to resort to using the conventional chiller system instead.. :huh:

-Vincent

IMG-20170102-WA0000.jpg

• SRC Member

Imho, run the shortest way..the pipes can run thru your service yard to kitchen towards your household shelter, follow the wall bendings then to your tank..the pipings will b in ducting which can b hidden by L-box or false ceiling..your interior ID sure can advise more on this..cheers n happy reefing :)

• Like 1

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member
22 minutes ago, kenyee said:

Imho, run the shortest way..the pipes can run thru your service yard to kitchen towards your household shelter, follow the wall bendings then to your tank..the pipings will b in ducting which can b hidden by L-box or false ceiling..your interior ID sure can advise more on this..cheers n happy reefing :)

thanks bro, i was told by my ID that it is not advisable to run the piping vertically upwards into the false ceiling, something about gravity. It puzzles me too.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, vt_snowman87 said:

thanks bro, i was told by my ID that it is not advisable to run the piping vertically upwards into the false ceiling, something about gravity. It puzzles me too.

Hmm..most A/C piping are Run vertically upwards to the blower unit leh..haha..so really dun understand what he/she mean also..

@ 291213

• SRC Member
15 minutes ago, Soleh Joe said:

Actually its true, the piping to drain is normally runs horizontally unless slight angle upwards because air con unit are usually near the ceiling. But then again those people done cooling unit this method can advise you.

Air con unit got draining pipe..to use as chiller coil in tank no need draining pipe..just the coil.. :)

• Like 1

@ 291213

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, Soleh Joe said:

Would like to know how it works as well cause never seen the layout for compressor out in the service yard. Only seen those compressor beside the tank wont be ideal for me though.

It will work as normal air con work..when u set the room temp n the room temp reach, it will cut out..

@ 291213

• SRC Member
It will work as normal air con work..when u set the room temp n the room temp reach, it will cut out..

What i meant is how the piping/coil runs from the tank and out to the service yard cause i've only seen a friend who did the compressor but place it in the living room.

• SRC Member

Not sure what your ID meant. The refrigerant in the pipeing is pressurised and when operating the compressor acts like a pump moving the refrigerant along in the pipe so it does not rely on gravity. So it should be ok to run the pipe up to the ceiling and take the shortest route along the ceiling to your coil/tank position (assuming you have a false ceiling). Otherwise take the shortest route along the wall (at ceiling level). The shorter the pipe the more efficient the installation. Hope this clarifies.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Trust me. Ask your compressor installer. Don't ask your ID. They thought is the conventional one that they need to "catch water level" I know because i installed it like u said. Run straight thru false ceiling.

• SRC Member

Same logic. The normal aircon also need to have a vertical cooling pipe to go up to the fan coil unit.

So no issues mah.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

thanks bros, all were very helpful. running it inside the false ceiling would indeed solve alot of problems for me. i will check again with the aircon contractor. cheers!

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi. Doing some research on drop in coil chiller setup... just want to confirm is there no draining pipe in this setup? And may i ask why normal aircon will have draining pipe and chiller setup dont have one?

No draining pipes will be needed. I think for aircon the draining pipes are for the condensed water from the coils in the aircon unit.....for the drop in coil since the coil will be placed in the sump any condensation with just drip into the sump.

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi snowman87, 

I am planning to move to my new house soon and would also like a similar setup. Would you mind to share on the progress of our tank one year in your new house? Im much more concerned on the wear and tear of the ducting in the false ceiling (I assume you  manged to convince your ID to run it straight from the kitchen wall and twist up to the ceiling and into your false ceiling). Have you noticed any defects? for example, is there any condensate build up on the false ceiling?

Would like to get pointers (better with pictures) from you if possible.