Little ironies of SPS keeping

• SRC Member

The more I read up on SPS keeping, the more I'm confused.

Why is it that higher kH levels (9-11) are recommended for tanks with higher nutrient levels, and lower kH (7-8) is recommended for low-nutrient tanks?

And why is it that we strive for low-nutrient environment for SPS health, and yet recommend heaving feeding to colour them up?

Seems contradictory to me.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Higher KH drives higher rate of calcification, so relatively higher nutrients allow coral tissue to grow at a rate which prevents tip issues. For ULNS systems, having that a high KH typically results in tip issues as the tissue growth rate doesn't match calcification rates brought about by high KH values.

SPS are known to benefit from feeding, but of course with the food being added to the system, excess food should be exported before they break down into excessive nutrients & imbalance the whole system.

It's really a delicate balance the way I see it, hope this helps.

• SRC Member

Nutrients (no3/ po4) are used by the zooxanthellae in the corals for photosynthesis. Too much nutrients would increase the growth of zooxanthellae and mask the colours of the corals. So low nutrients are maintained for coral colours. But low nutrients also means that zooxanthellae are not as prolific and less nutritional compounds are passed to the corals themselves. Nutrients that are too low will also cause corals to fade (probably starving). Feeding is used to supplement this need for nutritional compounds for the coral itself. It's a balance to be maintained. 

If ur calcium level matches ur carbonate level in balanced ion-proportion. Then lower the KH then slower the growth as ur sps consumed less calcium-carbonate for growth. And if u matches lower KH with low nutrients then sps tissues will disperse the brown zooxanellate resulting in brighter colors. If u go beyond that and achieved ulns, colors could look pastel in some or most sps. This is sps natural abitlty to photosynthesize with the symbiotic zooxanellate algae living in its tissues.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

To me, it's not the lower or higher number of a certain dkh level - it's very more to do with the STABILITY of the dkh value than anything else.  

Keep the number tight at a narrow range and SPS corals will have a much better chance to fluorish.  

• Like 1

• SRC Member
On 30/01/2017 at 8:33 PM, Admiraltian said:

If ur calcium level matches ur carbonate level in balanced ion-proportion. Then lower the KH then slower the growth as ur sps consumed less calcium-carbonate for growth. And if u matches lower KH with low nutrients then sps tissues will disperse the brown zooxanellate resulting in brighter colors. If u go beyond that and achieved ulns, colors could look pastel in some or most sps. This is sps natural abitlty to photosynthesize with the symbiotic zooxanellate algae living in its tissues.

Catch no ball... anyone care to paraphrase or explain this again? Paiseh... new to reefing... n fail chemistry... 

Assuming you hv a tank with plenty plenty coralline algae...would the competition for kh from this source help to stabalise kh consumption, ie. If too much dosing then excess kh makan-ded by coralline algae.

Of course if dosing too little than cant be helped but I hv a feeling tt dropping kh is safer than rising kh.

Any thoughts ?

Sent from my F3216 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, littlejack said:

Assuming you hv a tank with plenty plenty coralline algae...would the competition for kh from this source help to stabalise kh consumption, ie. If too much dosing then excess kh makan-ded by coralline algae.

Of course if dosing too little than cant be helped but I hv a feeling tt dropping kh is safer than rising kh.

Any thoughts ?

Hi Littlejack,

My thoughts is that whether plenty of coralline algea or not, it doesn't make me any more comforted if there is too much dosing causing a kh shock. The overshoot of kh is unlikely to be mitigated by the coralline algea consumption to prevent an ill effect on the SPS cause by the high kh level. Btw, one of the visible effect of KH overdose is the burn tip symptom.

Also, I would say that a rising kh could be less damaging then a lowering of kh base on my experience.

• Like 1

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Hi Littlejack,
My thoughts is that whether plenty of coralline algea or not, it doesn't make me any more comforted if there is too much dosing causing a kh shock. The overshoot of kh is unlikely to be mitigated by the coralline algea consumption to prevent an ill effect on the SPS cause by the high kh level. Btw, one of the visible effect of KH overdose is the burn tip symptom.
Also, I would say that a rising kh could be less damaging then a lowering of kh base on my experience.

Thank u brudder cedricang for your inputs

• 3 years later...