Magnesium problems

Seano

Hi Fellow Reefers

Over the past month I have been monitoring my magnesium as have moved from a FOWLR set up to some beginner corals. I cannot get it to get above and stay at 1300, it is always between 1200-1300. I have been dosing repeatedly, there has been several water changes in this time frame but still it won't budge.

Additionally my Calcium is very high, >500 and has not dropped lower than that. dKH seems ok at 8-10. My tank is a IM 10g.

What is the problem? What issues could this cause my lps? Is there a way of fixing because 25% water changes weekly have not done anything.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thanks for your replies. I'm using the Aqua Forest Mg Plus solution and I use the Red Sea coral pro salt.

The corals I have now are: torch coral, BBEB Zoa's, micromussa, goniopora. All corals happy, healthy and full extended. The Goniopora even had a little 'baby'.

I guess I'm just bothered that i can't get it above 1300. Thanks for your help.

Hi Fellow Reefers
Over the past month I have been monitoring my magnesium as have moved from a FOWLR set up to some beginner corals. I cannot get it to get above and stay at 1300, it is always between 1200-1300. I have been dosing repeatedly, there has been several water changes in this time frame but still it won't budge.
Additionally my Calcium is very high, >500 and has not dropped lower than that. dKH seems ok at 8-10. My tank is a IM 10g.
What is the problem? What issues could this cause my lps? Is there a way of fixing because 25% water changes weekly have not done anything.

Mg of 1250-1350 is ok. I think your range is ok. You Ca is high because of your salt, red sea pro. I used in when i started and found Ca too high . Then i change to aqua craft and now the normal red sea salt. I does 20ml Ca from FM daily to maintain 400ppm

Just my 2cents

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
6 hours ago, Seano said:

80c805a46caf724145d6d55e1e2cb8b9.jpg

So I found the problem. Once I started dosing with Kent Marine Magnesium my Mg started to climb. I've nearly finished the bottle of aquaforest and it barley made any impact at all.

It's likely as well that the Magnesium isn't very high in the salt I'm using as well.

What the price for both bottles meaning to say MG plus not effective at all? 

Now it had climb to what range 1200 to 1300 that range is pretty ideal.

To be honest my Magnesium was never terrible when you look at acceptable range, though it did drop below acceptable range from time to time. My calcium is quite high so i'd rather have the Mg on the higher end of the scale. The aquaforest was not able to do that.

Aquaforest is $15 a bottle vs Kent's Mg at $25 a bottle. However there is more than double the volume in the Kent bottle.