How to Lower Temperature without chiller

On 3/19/2017 at 10:52 PM, kenyee said:

1st of all, how big is ur tank n what u r keeping?

my tank is abt 5 gal, it's called ocean free Nano Marine Tank 16 litres, dimensions are 24x24x28 in centimetres. I only keep 2 clownfish inside right now, plus 3 live rocks and about 5 coral skeletons, and 1cm deep of crushed coral skelies as a substrate. I have one hydor centrifugal pump 250 which i suspect is the one generating most of the heat... 

The location of my tank is not in direct sunlight, so it does not cook the fish, haha.

On 3/19/2017 at 4:11 PM, yukok.lim08 said:

Cooling fan but must do a lot top up of di water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one but it didn't even affect the temperature at all... Though I think maybe if I put those portable house fans blowing at my tank it might help?

• SRC Member

Any pump will give out some heat..by having a table fan blowing at the water surface will bring down the temp by 1-3 degC depending on the tank size n location..

Whats ur water temp now?

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

20 hours ago, samuel88 said:

If you current cooling fan doesn't bring down the temperature, you could get a bigger fan, maybe get a fan rated for a tank way bigger than your current one, it is definitely better than no fan.

can i get those kind of house-use portable fans? You know what i mean? They're also called portable industrial fans

On 3/22/2017 at 8:52 PM, Eric Ng Yong Keong said:

U can try aquarium fan too. They are mounted on the surface of tank. Provide more direct cooling. Previously I using both. Manage to bring to 28. Sometime shoot to 30.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

do you have corals? because im trying to lower the temp so i can put in some corals

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, OrangetheClownfish said:

31.5-32

31-32 is very high temp.

if u can post a pic of your tank showing your pump, it would help others better understand your setup.

My guess is your pump generating too much heat.

19 hours ago, OrangetheClownfish said:

can i get those kind of house-use portable fans? You know what i mean? They're also called portable industrial fans

as long as they are blowing across the surface of the fan, i remember buying a 24 dollar fan from Clementi fish shops that was rated for a tank about 100 litres, it brought my 20 gallon tank from 29 to 27. hopefully would work for you.

17 hours ago, DottyClown said:

31-32 is very high temp.

if u can post a pic of your tank showing your pump, it would help others better understand your setup.

My guess is your pump generating too much heat.

if your pump is generating too much heat maybe use a hang on filter instead, can put some filter media to boost your filter system too.

• SRC Member

20170330_175444.jpg

My nano reef tank cooled by a SONA desk fan..its set to run on a timer like blow 1hr rest 2hr n rest at night..my water temp range from 26.5 to 29degC depending on the day n time..ATO ard 900ml daily..cheers n happy reefing :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used a Noctua PC fan, super silent and my temperature is usually stable at 27 Degrees Celsius. on really hot days it will go up to max to 28 degrees. My room temperature is around 29.5 Degrees. In my case an auto top off is a must as the evaporation rate is really fast. I'm still contemplating on whether to get a chiller. For right now 1 PC fan is doing its job very nicely.

• SRC Member

You can float a frozen 500ml rodi-water plastic bottle in the tank on hot days. But its a bandage solution. Long-term, u still need a chiller in year-long hot weather like singapore. Or u can on your aircon in the room where your tank is for a few hours in the afternoon. U can enjoy the chill and so can your fish and corals.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I am using a cooling fan and I need to top up water daily becos of the evaporation. Btw the effectiveness of the cooling fan will depend on the room temperature. In my case, during hot weather, my tank temperature stays at 30 degree despite using the cooling fan. Hence it will be advisable to invest in a chiller if u intend to raise corals:)

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app