My 40 cm cube - First Attempt

mezan

• SRC Member

Hello,

I am starting out a 40cm cube with IOS. This is my first time starting a nano reef setup. Have been wanting to start a reef ever since my early teenage years (That's like 7 - 8 years ago). Haha. After settling down with school and national service, it is now time to live the dream. Haha.

Intend to keep a pair of nemo (clownfish as wife and mom only agree with the setup with this in it), softies and LPS. 

Bought a used equipment from a fellow reefer. 

Here is the list of equipment I have on hand so far:

Equipment:

Tank: 40cm x 40cm x 40cm with IOS
Return: AquaZonic Evo 1300L/h
Wave Maker: Jebao RW-4
Skimmer: AquaC Nano Remora with Aquarium System NJ1200
Lighting: Maxspect Razor 60W 16K
Chiller: Hailea HS-28A

Filtration:

Chamber 1: Filter floss to collect any large particles + any chemical filtration as and when needed.
Chamber 2: Planning to put Siporax here for biological filtration and also skimmer input pump
Chamber 3: Skimmer outlet and return pump

I bought 3DM Reef Rock to replace live rock. The tank is currently is running, however, it is still empty. I am testing the salinity before putting in the sand and rocks. Here how the tank looks at the moment.

IMG_20170319_230044_HHT.jpg
Messy wiring. Slowly making it neater.

IMG_20170319_230058.jpg
My first time doing plumbing works. So far so good.

IMG_20170321_224628.jpg
Current rock scape. 4 rocks glued together to become 2 bigger rocks. Use AF Poly Glue to stick them together. 

What do you guys think?

Planning to get a Refractometer to test the salinity before proceeding to the next step of adding sand, rocks and starting the ammonia cycle. Any idea where I could get it at a decent price?

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, kenyee said:

Ok bro..u using hydrometer for ur salt water now? What salt u using?

Yes. I am using AF Reef Salt. 

So I have added the rocks into the tank. The 3DM reef rocks created a lot of micro bubbles. Can feel the water going into the rock. I assume it is good as that shows there are macro tunnels in the rocks just as stated. It took about 10-15 minutes to slowly clear but then still there are some air bubbles coming out. As of today morning, no more air bubbles coming out from the rocks though.

IMG_20170322_225355.jpg
IMG_20170322_225407.jpg
Micro bubbles coming out from the rocks

Take the opportunity to turn on the light.

IMG_20170322_231302.jpg
Front view

IMG_20170322_231336.jpg
Left

IMG_20170322_231346.jpg
Right

Forget to mention that I also got the 3DM Reef Sand. Will be adding that later tonight or tomorrow. Haha.

• SRC Member

So I spend the weekend rescaping. What do you guys think of it now?

I also started cycling the tank with small portion of prawn and dosing of AF Bio S. Should I wait for the prawn to totally dissolve? It looks cooked now. :D

IMG_20170326_213311_HHT.jpg

Just a quick question, what is the difference between using carbon sponge and carbon beads? 

• SRC Supporter
So I spend the weekend rescaping. What do you guys think of it now?
I also started cycling the tank with small portion of prawn and dosing of AF Bio S. Should I wait for the prawn to totally dissolve? It looks cooked now. 
IMG_20170326_213311_HHT.jpg
Just a quick question, what is the difference between using carbon sponge and carbon beads? 

Maybe can have more opening in the center for flow and fish to hide. Wait for prawn to dissolve fully and test your water parameter again.

Better to use carbon bead then sponge as he absorbing capacity is better imo.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, he said:

Maybe can have more opening in the center for flow and fish to hide. Wait for prawn to dissolve fully and test your water parameter again.

Better to use carbon bead then sponge as he absorbing capacity is better imo.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Hi @he, noted on that. Actually, the hole is quite big, for either fish or invertebrates to hide. It is being blocked by the sand as the sand is quite high at the opening but not inside it. I can't make it bigger as it will be closer to the glass and may block the glass cleaner if any. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Current FTS of the tank. 

IMG_20170409_143432_HDR.jpg

I DIY a light stand to hold the light. The stock stand that comes with the maxspect seems to lean downwards. So better be safe than sorry. 

The red color on the rock is my cleaner shrimp shell. It molted on the second day I introduce it in the tank.

• SRC Member

A quick update on the tank.

Current Livestocks:
3 x Nass snails
1 x Red Fire Shrimp
1 x Maroon Clown

Corals:
A few zoas, don't really care about ID. As long as they are nice. haha.
Palythoa
Red Sea Xenia - has one small baby just popped out
Green Star Polyp
Blastomussa Merletti
Orange Yuma
Green Mushroom

IMG_20170418_WA0046.jpg
IMG_20170418_WA0047.jpg
PHOTO_20170416_161721.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
18 hours ago, Tee said:

That's fast, btw u have a gem of a shroom/yuma under the rocks! Looks pretttyyy colourful :)

haha. yes. saw an offer that I can't resist. so make the move.

Thank you. Those orange are yuma, the green are mushrooms. Bought it from CF. Can't wait to get all of them back. Currently, all LS are at my friend's house.