ChocolateReef

chocolate98

• SRC Member

Unfortunately, last October my tank crashed and I decided to rescape my tank... I was planning to stop going for sps so I scaped to accomodate lps and softies. However, after scaping and placing the scape in my tank, the temptation to keep sps took over.....

Here's a pic of the scape in October 2017

IMG_3453.JPG.6ef81165fdae1cc0266cde686acf5e6a.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Where’s the pic of ur latest set-up! Can share the reason of tank crash? Learning. I’m also very scared my new tank crash cos I load too fast. :evil:

Ammonia spike by my giant clams. Haha no need to be scared as long as u got a proper set up and check ur parameters regularly shd be Okay!

• SRC Member
5 hours ago, chocolate98 said:

Ammonia spike by my giant clams. Haha no need to be scared as long as u got a proper set up and check ur parameters regularly shd be Okay!emoji3.png

I actually wanted to get a clam. Lol maxima clam shipment came in yesterday. I think I will get it after my Long holiday. Thanks for the headsup 

• SRC Member
3 minutes ago, chocolate98 said:

Thanks hahah! I'm currently removing my sand bed, once done I will uploademoji28.pngemoji3.pngemoji39.png

Bro, seems like removing the sandbed is a natural progression for most sps keepers. Lol. Is there any particular reason? Im scared the rocks will scratch the glass.....

• SRC Member
Bro, seems like removing the sandbed is a natural progression for most sps keepers. Lol. Is there any particular reason? Im scared the rocks will scratch the glass.....

Easy to maintain, more flow, no detritus build up, no need to clean sand or move around that would raise up nitrogen..make sure rocks stable to bottom and well glued to each other.

Aesthetically I like sand looks more natural, don’t mind maintaining it, will have nice reflection of light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• SRC Member
I always feel tank without sand seems to be more dusty. Probably more particles flying around where else with sand they could settle down somewhere.

Yeah is there any way to reduce the particles flying around? Like reduce flow rate or have a btr filter system?

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I spent these few months working part time to upgrade/modify my tank as i am enlisting to national service in october. Many reefers are usually worried that their tank will crash in their absence. Thus i chose to invest more money to continue this hobby while spending lesser time to maintain it in the future. Moreover, making it easier for my parents to look after my tank. I will be updating things that i did to prepare myself for NS. Hopefully this will help people thst ard going through the same.

The first thought when it comes to maintenance is changing of filter socks or wool. At first i was using nylon filter socks and it had to be washed every 3 days. Due to the regular washing, i decided to switch to using filter wool. However, the filter wool had to be changed weekly. In the end, i decided to get a drum filter which was the least maintenance. I chose to get the chespest model available, the bubble magus ARF-1. With this, the only down side is that the filter paper cost $15 each. I hope one roll can last for 3 months.
20180703_001630.jpg20180703_001641.jpg

• SRC Member
Down side is also the flow rate has to be reduced by a lot.

What’s your current return pump flow rate and is it maintaining well?

It can’t take 5000lph on mine.

Hmm im running on a 9000lph dc but i turned it to half, seems ok for now. I guess you dont need such a high turn over? I think 3000lph is actually sufficient unless youre using your return pump as a "wavemaker". How long does 1 roll last for you?

• SRC Member
Hmm im running on a 9000lph dc but i turned it to half, seems ok for now. I guess you dot need such a high turn over? I think 3000lph is actually sufficient unless youre using your return pump as a "wavemaker". How long does 1 roll last for you?

Same. Running dc pump duo. Estimated about 3000lph also. So far 6 weeks used up half role.
Should be good for another month. Haha.

• SRC Member

Haha. Yeah. Got pissed of. Changing filters so often. Just that was rated for 6000lph but can’t even handle 4000-5000lph. Sad.

Hahaha well, manufacturers always like to publish their products better than it actually is. But this is the cheapest compared to other brands. However, the build and acrylic is kinda flimsy. Anyway, it still does it job so can close one eye