AIO Marine Tank

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Thanks, I know many feel that an external sump is the way to go but due to many constraints and limitations, this is the only choice I have. I've seen it work and I'm aware of the limitations in the type and amount of livestock I can have.. thanks again. I just want to know which design helps in the overall tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
On 4/28/2017 at 10:55 AM, Kermit13sg said:

Which is a better design?

2d12609da38950b2d1923ca8fd20126a.jpg

I think the 2nd design is better. I assume inlet is left side. Outlet is right side.

Here are some comments. 

Generally, mechanical filtration comes first - i.e. wool then skimmer.

Next comes bio media filtration. This sequence is better as you'd want chunks of dirt be removed else it may clog the bio media pores.

The outlet of the biopellet reactor should come before the skimmer.

I don't think you need so many bubble trap in between. They take up space. Just one just before the last / right compartment would suffice. 

For bio media, try to fit them into rigid baskets for easy removal (can buy from Daiso), so dimension it correctly. Try not to use those soft nylon bags or laundry bags for biomedia as it is hard to pull out or cleaning.

This is just my 2 cents. There are probably alternative views out there.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I think the 2nd design is better. I assume inlet is left side. Outlet is right side.

Here are some comments. 
Generally, mechanical filtration comes first - i.e. wool then skimmer.
Next comes bio media filtration. This sequence is better as you'd want chunks of dirt be removed else it may clog the bio media pores.
The outlet of the biopellet reactor should come before the skimmer.
I don't think you need so many bubble trap in between. They take up space. Just one just before the last / right compartment would suffice. 
For bio media, try to fit them into rigid baskets for easy removal (can buy from Daiso), so dimension it correctly. Try not to use those soft nylon bags or laundry bags for biomedia as it is hard to pull out or cleaning.

This is just my 2 cents. There are probably alternative views out there.

Thanks, I just read this reply... my tank is built and delivered.

• SRC Member

fe496d499dedddd8e116d4d90d627453.jpg

092fdb53341740d45689451e475a519f.jpg

6dd6c59ec7f5d6c851074ae046f9e726.jpg

So the design is the first design that I've posted some time back. Basically one inlet and one outlet.

The inlet leads to a first chamber where I planned to put wool and bio media.

Q1. What bio media should I use fir this 1.6L compartment?

I planned to fill it up with water, run the pump and check for leaks. If there are no leaks, I'll proceed to add salt. Get it to the right salinity then let it run a bit more.

Q2. What salt to use?

After that, I'll get live sand and live rocks to do the landscape.

Q3. If I get cured live rocks, can I get put it in tank since there's no fishes and corals in there?

When I settle this part then I'll get the Tunze 9004 skimmer and the IM max Reactor mid size.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Hi any updates? I am thinking of setting up a similar tank and updates on your tank will really help. Thanks!

Hi,

Tank built and started for almost 2 months already. Got some fishes and corals, so far so good.. just enjoying the current diatom outbreak

hahaha. enjoying diatom outbreak indeed. pictures!

The space I have is exactly 36" x 18" too. But i am considering having the IOS at the side instead of at the back. Did you consider that when you built your tank?

Lastly, pictures please! :D

oh yeah, if it is by the side the display tank will be 24" x 18".

As regards the diatom outbreak, consider chaeto! I had a heavily loaded tank with only a skimmer and chaeto for nutrient export. Diatoms were not a problem.

• 9 months later...