Require help with ich.

Are the fishes new? Sometimes the ich will go away after they get use to the new environment. 

Yup! They are quite new! Sometimes the blue tang appears with white spot, and then it dissapear and then it comes back again. Now theres some white spot on the clownfish but i wonder if they are the same thing. The blue tang has been there for 1 month, and the clownfish about 7 months.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Are the fishes new? Sometimes the ich will go away after they get use to the new environment. 

Yup! They are quite new! Sometimes the blue tang appears with white spot, and then it dissapear and then it comes back again. Now theres some white spot on the clownfish but i wonder if they are the same thing. The blue tang has been there for 1 month, and the clownfish about 7 months.

• SRC Member
8 minutes ago, Keongohana said:

Sounds like your tank is infected with Marine Ich.  You need to solve this as it may become worst.

Usually Tangs are the easiest to get infected.  The Ich may have been in your tank there all along, or it may have been introduced together with the Tang.  When you see the white spots on the Tang, the Ich is in the trophont stage, feeding on the tang.  You would probably see the spots there for maybe 3-7 days, after which it disappears.  This does not mean the Ich is gone.  The Trophont have simply left the fish to proceed to its next phase of its life-cycle.  It will multiply and then "attack" again.  Any fish in your tank, irregardless of how long its been in your tank, is susceptible to the attack.

There are several approach commonly used to rid a tank of Ich.  Some uses medication with fishes still in display tank.  Some isolate all fishes into a separate quarantine tank, treat the fishes irregardles if they show signs of Ich, and leave the display tank void of any fishes for several weeks waiting for the Ich to run its life-cyle without host fish and then it will die off.

Suggest you do some reading and decide your next move.

• SRC Member
5 hours ago, Harry H said:

Fastest solution is to get UV

There has been debates on whether UV helps clear Ich, with no definite conclusion.

Theoretically, for UV to work (if it works), ALL Ich cryptocaryon must pass through the UV lamp.  But consider how much water is being pass through the lamp at any time.  The probability that ALL Ich passes through after a definite amount of time is limited, thus not very effective.  In addition, only when the cryptocaryon is in its free floating stage, would it have a chance to be pumped through the UV.
Also, most UV are sized to kill bacteria and algae spores, not protozoans.  Meaning, the size of the crytocaryon is too large to be killed by a standard UV, unless the UV dosage is very high and flow is very low to allow enough exposure time to high UV.

But then, there's no harm trying.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, DottyClown said:

There has been debates on whether UV helps clear Ich, with no definite conclusion.

Theoretically, for UV to work (if it works), ALL Ich cryptocaryon must pass through the UV lamp.  But consider how much water is being pass through the lamp at any time.  The probability that ALL Ich passes through after a definite amount of time is limited, thus not very effective.  In addition, only when the cryptocaryon is in its free floating stage, would it have a chance to be pumped through the UV.
Also, most UV are sized to kill bacteria and algae spores, not protozoans.  Meaning, the size of the crytocaryon is too large to be killed by a standard UV, unless the UV dosage is very high and flow is very low to allow enough exposure time to high UV.

But then, there's no harm trying.

Very in depth knowledge u got bro. Thumbs up

• SRC Member

Understood the science and of course you are right and a great posting! I think it is nearly impossible to make a tank free of itch cryptocaryon. 1. The idea is to tip the balance. Ultimately the fish must be healthy enough to fight off the itch. So adding the UV light "may" (big may) reduce the itch infestation. In my tank (lol, sample of one, hardly scientific), after introducing the UV in the IOS, my blue and yellow tangs are no longer bothered by itch. Occasionally, you see them scratching their bodies (symptoms of itch) but after a couple of days, they stop doing that. Could it be the UV light help? Perhaps. 2. In my tank filter I also introduced nanosilver ceramic beads (my own company product) to kill bacteria (nanosilver kills bacteria we use it for disaster relief emergency water treatment .. yes we know nanosilver may be bad to the human body after prolonged usage but it is for emergency relief when no power is available and we have a patent so that there is no leakage of silver into the water.) again could it be the silver nano at work? We don't know. And if there are testers out there it will be cool. Using it for aquarium is obviously not our business but hmmmm if it works will be great. As usual, we try and experiment that's why science is fun. Cheers!!!

• SRC Member

u can try ginger, or reef safe medications available. But critical thing i find with "curing" ich is to ensure that whatever stress factors that is causing the ich are removed first. 

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like your tank is infected with Marine Ich.  You need to solve this as it may become worst.
Usually Tangs are the easiest to get infected.  The Ich may have been in your tank there all along, or it may have been introduced together with the Tang.  When you see the white spots on the Tang, the Ich is in the trophont stage, feeding on the tang.  You would probably see the spots there for maybe 3-7 days, after which it disappears.  This does not mean the Ich is gone.  The Trophont have simply left the fish to proceed to its next phase of its life-cycle.  It will multiply and then "attack" again.  Any fish in your tank, irregardless of how long its been in your tank, is susceptible to the attack.
There are several approach commonly used to rid a tank of Ich.  Some uses medication with fishes still in display tank.  Some isolate all fishes into a separate quarantine tank, treat the fishes irregardles if they show signs of Ich, and leave the display tank void of any fishes for several weeks waiting for the Ich to run its life-cyle without host fish and then it will die off.
Suggest you do some reading and decide your next move.

If you are going this route and yours is a fish only tank, you could lower the salinity, i read somewhere that below certain point it either dies or can't reproduce.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I had a painful experience with Cupramine. Not sure what I did wrong but do stand by the Cuprisorb and Cu Test kit ready and monitor carefully.

Waiting for 10 June now before I can start getting fishes now! Its been almost 2 months hopefully the ich is really gone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...