Good marine shops for these creatures?

CPperson

Hi everyone, I am looking for a marine store that sells affordable livestock. I am looking for golden coral banded shrimp, pistol shrimps, nassarius snails and maybe corals like frogspawns. Anyone knows a shop that sells these for an affordable price? Also, can get to via public transport Lol, no car. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member

i guess it depends what "affordable" means to you.. in general reef keeping is not a cheap hobby. 

if you get livestocks from the lfs here the price range are pretty standard and not too much deviation. 

for value deals can check out the pasar malam section :)

you can find all the lfs here in the forum link. 

i guess it depends what "affordable" means to you.. in general reef keeping is not a cheap hobby. 
if you get livestocks from the lfs here the price range are pretty standard and not too much deviation. 
for value deals can check out the pasar malam section

Oh by affordable i mean like standard usual prices. Like a cleaner shrimp being 15 dollars instead of 20 for a small one. Thanks for the link! I'll look through it.

for value deals can check out the pasar malam section

Oh by affordable i mean like standard usual prices. Like a cleaner shrimp being 15 dollars instead of 20 for a small one. Thanks for the link! I'll look through it.

Pasir Ris Farmway is a good place to go. Few marine shops so look and ask for the price then compare.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I've been to the one at farmway 2. Thats where i got my elegance coral for 40 dollars and i saw clownfish being sold for 1 dollar!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I've been to the one at farmway 2. Thats where i got my elegance coral for 40 dollars and i saw clownfish being sold for 1 dollar!!!

Actually i believe there are 3 or 4 shops spread across farmway 2 and 3. I have not been there for awhile now but i am sure there are still more than one eg. Awana, ah beng and the old couple infront of ah beng, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This hobby used to be quite affordable, but after 2 years plus away and now back, the prices for both the fishes and corals penetrate beyond the sky that I've never seen before (what about you???).  

Reefers used to be hobbyist and share their frag at super reasonable prices but now all seems to be part of the commercial LFS slaughtering one another breaking up tiny frags for big $$.  It used to be 1 - 2 guys doing that but not anymore.  Look at the Buy / Sell post, they are exploding everywhere asking for crazy prices.  It's like "Gia Lan Ka Tao" to make it becomes unaffordable for newbies and maybe oldies and finally the hobby just dies off.

Where are the rest of the true blue old reefers.....for e.g I used to give away SPS frags or palm size Monti frags but now people are asking for $25 for a 3 - 4 inch frag...goosh

Yes, the prices of coral and fishes has went up as the old farmers (north and south suppliers) are handling over the trade to the younger generations who are more tech savvy and calculative ($$ talks).  They will haggle for more from the local importers as they get better rate exporting to the US for example.

The usual suspects farm at Pasir Ris used to be very reasonable, but with the young gen running it, every small little tiny frag of about an inch size also asking for $40....what the hell...

Hopefully, there are still some true blue hobbyist sharing their frags around just like before.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
This hobby used to be quite affordable, but after 2 years plus away and now back, the prices for both the fishes and corals penetrate beyond the sky that I've never seen before (what about you???).  
Reefers used to be hobbyist and share their frag at super reasonable prices but now all seems to be part of the commercial LFS slaughtering one another breaking up tiny frags for big $$.  It used to be 1 - 2 guys doing that but not anymore.  Look at the Buy / Sell post, they are exploding everywhere asking for crazy prices.  It's like "Gia Lan Ka Tao" to make it becomes unaffordable for newbies and maybe oldies and finally the hobby just dies off.
Where are the rest of the true blue old reefers.....for e.g I used to give away SPS frags or palm size Monti frags but now people are asking for $25 for a 3 - 4 inch frag...goosh
Yes, the prices of coral and fishes has went up as the old farmers (north and south suppliers) are handling over the trade to the younger generations who are more tech savvy and calculative ($$ talks).  They will haggle for more from the local importers as they get better rate exporting to the US for example.
The usual suspects farm at Pasir Ris used to be very reasonable, but with the young gen running it, every small little tiny frag of about an inch size also asking for $40....what the hell...
Hopefully, there are still some true blue hobbyist sharing their frags around just like before.

I know which LFS u r referring to. I have already stopped buying from them anymore. Soon, they will close shop.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Only time will tell and let the market adjust themselves. 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Moderators
On 7/7/2017 at 6:13 PM, ystad8 said:

There are still some nice reefers who give free frags or selling for a token from time to time.
Unfortunately, these groups of folks are getting smaller as years gone by.

There are cases where free or cheap stuffs are resold for profit which make matters worst.
Also pilot case, where you are already giving someone free stuffs, and they stood up on you on collection.
Time and effort wasted because of such idiots!!!

Guess we just have to Reef on with this new "trend".

• Like 2

Tom

• SRC Member
On 7/9/2017 at 7:25 PM, thomas_lim said:

There are still some nice reefers who give free frags or selling for a token from time to time.

There are cases where free or cheap stuffs are resold for profit which make matters worst.
Also pilot case, where you are already giving someone free stuffs, and they stood up on you on collection.

Yup like you Thomas is a nice reefer who gives me frags to kick start this hobby! 

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Much respect. Its a hobby and i hope more hobbyist would learn to realize that its more than just keeping saltwater tanks. Its about learning and sharing knowledge to help each other out to achieve beautiful aquarium that we all are into this hobby in the first place. I am still new to the saltwater hobby as ive been here for less than a year and i am glad to have met people who are very passionate about helping others ride on the hobby.

Its rather disappointing when people get free or cheap stuff from hobbyist only to see them being resold when it could go to other hobbyist who needs it more.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thank to the true hobbyist who response, I taught I was left alone...lol.  But serious note, a lot are trying to profit from the ill inform or the newbies parting their hard earn Dou to feed the unscrupulous so called hobbyist with those frags at what u know price..

• Like 1

• SRC Member

They are earning high profit because someone willing to pay. 

Just make sure you know the value of the coral, if possible get to see the coral before buying. And don't buy from buyer selling low grade coral at high grade price.

It's like Durian price now, skyrocket into space beyond NASA's reach.  There is no inflation on the fruit trees.  Its people who manipulated the price because some gundoo willing to pay high price for it...and it spiral beyond reach..