Help with Soft Coral Tank

bane

Been having a soft coral tank (4x 2x2.5) for years but can never get my mushrooms to last more than like 6 months.

Maxspect lights , powerful skimmer, calcium reactor and UV lights ... one big pail of water change every 2 weeks ... no fish larger than 3 inches... but a fair amount of them..

Only have mushrooms, leathers, sea whips etc... for some reason they just perish and waste despite me trying to maintain...zoa colonies get withered down really fast as well.

No3 is manageable 40-80, No2 is very low 1, my pH could be on the high side 8.5 to 9 (tried using vinegar to bring down to no avail) and GH is super high at 180.

Looking for advice.... used to dose chemicals like Reef Nutrients, Balling lights... but some reefers say I shouldn't? 

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Mushroom is one of the easiest coral to keep actually , maybe you can share with us more information of your tank?

Are you running chiller? Did you check your salinity ? Are u using hydrometer or reflectometer to check your salinity?

First hand , I suspect is problem with your tank salinity issue.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I have a chiller running at 25.5 Degrees ..

Using a hydrometer and it reads between 1.025 to 1.026. 

Other tank details are in the original post (4x2x2.5) ... and its Bio Pellet Reactor not Calcium... sorry.

• SRC Member

Placement and flow. If the undercurrent gets to them too much they hate it and will fly into the abyss. Yumas will melt eventually is what I've experienced before 

• SRC Supporter

Try get a reflectometer to double check the salinity , most likely is out.. it could be the water is too salty

If you use a hydrometer, make sure there is no bubble inside the water as it will affect the reading.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app