DIY algae scrubber

Harry H

• SRC Member

We know algae scrubber works. Grow some algae in the sump and it competes for nutrients. The sump’s algae grows but your tank is less “algaefied”. But with Nano tanks our choices are limited due to lack of space. You can buy the Innovative Marine (IM) magnet LED light, cut a hole in the backing (not the glass haha) and shine the light into the back IOS to grow algae. Clever solution.

What if there is a simpler and cheaper way? When I got the IM 10g tank I bought the grill guard. It is to prevent small fishes swimming into the back (forgot what is the technical name IOS or something.) You get two grill guards in a package. So I stuffed some chaeto into the grill guard and clipped it on the tank. Algae started to grow because some parts of the led lights reached the chaeto. And every 2 weeks just clear the bad algae. Some chaeto will die off bec lack of light. If someone come up with a transparent guard you can convert the back wall into an algae attractant factory.

Low cost. No need to buy extra light. No need to slice the backing. But in terms of aesthetics maybe the IOS Light is better. Just sharing.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app