How to reduce noisy return pump

• SRC Member

Hi,

i just started a new a new reef tank and wanted to share my experience with noise. I am using a Eden 135 pump. I was told that this was quiet relative to a skimz pump that I bought and returned. Initially, the Eden was quite silent but became noisy after I attached my chiller to it. Reading thru online forums, I realized that DC pumps are a class about AC pumps as far as noise is concerned. Well, too late for me since I already bought my pump. So I started to see how I can improve my setup. By chance, I detached the pump from the 4 silicon black rubber suction cups that were attaching it to my sump floor. The noise immediate went down Very Significantly. The pump is resting on top of the 4 suction cups but not attached. Isolation is the key! Very happy with the quick and simple fix. Hope this may be helpful to others. 

• 3 months later...
hi! have you managed to find a "cure" to the noise? i just bought an IM10 and also find that the return pump that comes with it is a little noisy. 

OP suggested to detach the suction cups so the pump is no longer stuck to the glass. You can try see if this helps you!

I have an IM 20 with a noisy return pump too but I could not find a solution to the noise. Ended up changing to another pump and now it’s silent.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

19 minutes ago, suehwee said:

OP suggested to detach the suction cups so the pump is no longer stuck to the glass. You can try see if this helps you!

I have an IM 20 with a noisy return pump too but I could not find a solution to the noise. Ended up changing to another pump and now it’s silent.

may i know what pump are u using now? i probably need options if this pump dies on me lol!!

may i know if u have a wavemaker in ur IM20? i think the IM10 is too small for a wavemaker. i have read of reefers who trim the blades to make the wavemaker less "powerful". i ordered a spin stream nozzle becos the flow is too weak.

may i know what pump are u using now? i probably need options if this pump dies on me lol!!
may i know if u have a wavemaker in ur IM20? i think the IM10 is too small for a wavemaker. i have read of reefers who trim the blades to make the wavemaker less "powerful". i ordered a spin stream nozzle becos the flow is too weak.

I bought this random cheap pump from Qoo10. JBA brand. Originally wanted to just use it to mix salt but it worked better than I expected

My suggestion is to upgrade to a stronger pump and use with the spin stream nozzle. Note that the spin stream will reduce the flow a bit but I really like the movement. If you are not keeping SPS then you won’t need too high flow ba, just upgrading the pump would be sufficient.

I have a wave maker in my tank to have higher flow for my RBTA. After adding it I feel my other corals happier also. If you want, there are small wave makers, no need to trim the blades haha so troublesome!

17 minutes ago, suehwee said:

I bought this random cheap pump from Qoo10. JBA brand. Originally wanted to just use it to mix salt but it worked better than I expectedemoji23.png

My suggestion is to upgrade to a stronger pump and use with the spin stream nozzle. Note that the spin stream will reduce the flow a bit but I really like the movement. If you are not keeping SPS then you won’t need too high flow ba, just upgrading the pump would be sufficient.

I have a wave maker in my tank to have higher flow for my RBTA. After adding it I feel my other corals happier also. If you want, there are small wave makers, no need to trim the blades haha so troublesome!

thanks for ur advice! currently with my water cycle, i see stuff settling at the bottom and its not being filtered =/ hopefully the spin stream will help.

yah i dont think my nano can hold sps anyways. probably will look for small wavemaker like u said.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice is use the eden pump as a chiller pump and get a new dc pump as a return pump.

Ac pump will make alot of sound when running against large pressure, in ur case it might be the distance from the return to the tank is made too far.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

So far the eden pump is working well as both chiller and return pump combined. And it is perfectly silent. The reason that I’m combining the chiller and return to use a single pump is to cut down on electrical running costs and potential additional noise from an additional pump. My Tank is a 3 footer with sump.