Is shoreline fishing going to become illegal soon?

soggycookies

• SRC Member

I’ve been fishing and collecting marine species from local shores since my childhood years to keep in my marine aquarium and I’ve noticed that it is only recently that there are more and more people(who aren’t even enforcement or NParks officers) around the beaches tell me I’m “not supposed to catch anything here” despite there being no evidence of it being illegal to fish in certain areas(like Changi for e.g. which happens to be one of the few remaining beaches other than East Coast in Singapore where it is still worth fishing and LEGAL as well)

I know Singapore started as a quaint fishing village, but with recent changes in industry and the shift toward conservation efforts(not that that’s a bad thing, I’m sure many of us would rather see nice natural scenery than buildings everyday in this concrete jungle), but it is beginning to look like for the recreational fisherman/collector, things like these are becoming harder and harder to do. Tanah Merah half a decade ago is another example, but that I can understand why(illegal immigrants and suspicious activities o the southern coast etc)

But Changi, Pasir Ris..? I know this might sound like a paranoid concern but too many times have I been disturbed by people who are telling me not to fish in places where there are literally signboards for fishing as a recreational activity rather than a prohibition. Already places like Labrador are getting the “no fishing” sign down on for such activities.

Nah not be such a bad thing considering how many unethical fishing practices are still being done today like large cage-trapping and driftnets, but it’s collateral damage for recreational enthusiasts like us.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app