Is it possible to keep green star polyps/mushroom corals in a tank without protein skimmer?

OrangetheClownfish

• SRC Member
Hi all,

is it possible to keep green star polyps or mushroom corals in an aquarium without protein skimmer?
You need some form of nutrient export, putting an effective ATS is probably enough without skimmer, for GSP or mushroom.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Depends on how frequent your water changes are and general husbandry. If you maintain your tank on a biweekly basis imo the skimmer is only a necessity when you have larger bioloads

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2018 at 1:36 AM, Windfatty said:

Really depends on bioload and your tank size.

tank size: 24x17x26 (LxBxH) cm

Stock: 1 Ocellaris, 1 Blue leg hermit crab

THat's all's in my tank (with a thin substrate of coral sand and some live rocks and some biohome glass/sand things that's supposed to be substitutes for my little amount of live rock)

On 3/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, kakak99 said:

Possible if you don't put any fish. Is all with bioload.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

THat's all's in my tank (with a thin substrate of coral sand and some live rocks and some biohome glass/sand things that's supposed to be substitutes for my little amount of live rock)

well i guess that rules it out

• SRC Member

A skimmer’s main purpose to is to help with nutrient export. If your bioload isn’t high cause of your Low stocking, a Skimmer isn’t even necessary. Especially when you hardly have anything in there and keep up with maintenance

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, OrangetheClownfish said:

Skimmer is very efficient in catching the dirt floating in the water. Without skimmer the dirt will slowly build up in the sump tank. With small bio load as yours, it will look very long to build up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I successfully ran a setup like this for years without a skimmer. Key is to keep up with your water changes to match the fish load. 
Can i have your contact number so i can get professional advice from u on how to do it without skimmer? I don't want to waste money buying things that i don't need as i just started this

On 3/30/2018 at 9:50 PM, weizhi10 said:

Can i have your contact number so i can get professional advice from u on how to do it without skimmer? I don't want to waste money buying things that i don't need as i just started this

PM me.. I'm certainly not a professional but happy to share what i've experienced and learnt over the last 15+ years... still learning! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/03/2018 at 3:18 PM, danialakmal97 said:

running without skimmer for 7 months.

livestock - 9 blue green chromis, 1 maroon clown, 1 coris wrasse, 1 lunar wrasse, 1 snowflake eel, 2 sea cucumber, 2 blue leg hermit, gsp, finger leather, zoas, and palys.

What's yr tank size? How frequent u change water? 

• SRC Member
Hi all,

is it possible to keep green star polyps or mushroom corals in an aquarium without protein skimmer?

Try out small frag and see. Skimming is important if u have high nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk