How do i get rid of aptasia

xIHA

• SRC Member

There are like 5 growing on the frag plugs and rack its more of a qt than a grow out system but i dont want it to spread to any potential coral i might put in my dt

Hey

#ff6f61

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got this from a website. For sharing :lol:

Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.

Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.

Peppermint Shrimp - Perhaps the most popular natural predator option, Peppermint Shrimp are an effective option if you purchase the right species. Make sure you use L. wurdemanni shrimp, as these little guys are crazy about Aiptasia anemones. But sometimes they can damage other soft corals in rare cases when hungry.

Copperband Butterflyfishes - While effective killers, these beautiful fish may also find more non-pest inhabitants a delicious meal. These fish tend to consume sessile invertebrates, beneficial anemones, feather dusters and clams. Another word of caution, these fish take time to develop into Aiptasia killers and are notoriously difficult to keep alive in saltwater aquariums.

Berghia Nudibranch - Classified as a sea slug, the Aiptasia eating nudi is a delightfully interesting creature who has a penchant for pest anemone. Officially known as Berghia verrucicornis, it is a natural predator of Aiptasia and is a safe addition to any reef tank. Unlike other natural predators, the Nudibranch isn’t interested in harming other tank inhabitants or coral. Plus, their shape and design adds a unique aesthetic. You know it’s having its fill on Aiptasia anemone as its gills turn a dark purplish hue as they eat. For optimum control, add four or five Nudibranch’s to your tank and let Mother Nature do her job.

Aiptasia Eating Filefish - Also known as Acreichthys tomentosus, Aiptasia eating filefish come from Indonesia and are ravenous for pesky anemones. It should be noted that the Aiptasia Eating Filefish are shy fish with a tendency to be aggressive toward its own species and other small fish. While these hungry critters aren’t picky eaters, if their food stores dwindle, they’re known to nip on corals. Only introduce Aiptasia Eating Filefish in relatively large tanks. We don’t suggest using this fish in a tank smaller than 30 gallons.

Hermit Crabs - In my opinion, hermit crabs are the safest predatory animal. Not only do they consume Aiptasia anemones, but they also have a taste for algae. But these are like peppermint shrimps, maybe they will never touch them at all. it's a lottery.

• SRC Supporter

Pour hot water over it will also kill it if you can take out the rock.

Or Inject kalkwasser paste over it will also work

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
I am looking for this sea slug
I don't think this nudi is commonly found in lfs here. I explore before. Also I think it is potentially not coral friendly. U r better off with peppermint shrimp. Pacific reef sometimes come in a lot. I have 2 in my tank. 3 down to 2. Never buy just one. At least 2. Survival rate higher.

Never pluck aiptasia, injecting aiptasia X helps, blue legged hermit crabs will also gradually work in them, I added 5 of them, now rarely see aiptasia,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, it was a novice mistake. Injecting seems to work but the chemical gets blown away by my WaveMaker after I place the coral back into the tank

• 1 month later...