Sand algae issue

littlekeong

• SRC Member

Hi, I having algae on my sand issue and is very irritating as is it not going off. I tried sucking the first layer of the sand but the algae still slowly come back.

My nitrate level is at 12 (tested by Nyos nitrate test kit) and phos level is 0 (tested by Hanna)

Keep the reef happy and that is our pride.

• SRC Member
Monitor your feeding, slowly cut down.

Hi, i dont really feed them so much. I have 3 tangs, 1 sand goby, 2 clown and 1 damsel, and i only feed them with 1 cube of mysis only.

I will rinse the mysis with tap water until mysis is melted. Then i will feed the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Might be due to a considerable amount of residual silicates in your tank if they still come back, especially if you shut your lights off for 3 days and they still return just as fast

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Control your feeding or improve your nutrient export.

why? Because its not abt silicates or whatever funky ass stuff. Its about phosphorous.

IFF your tank has consistent, absolutely 0 phosphates. U wont get algae growth. Thats it.

but if phosphate level fluxs, meaning a temporary spike before being exported. The algae still get the nutrients it needs to grow.

Working on one or both of my suggestion is da way. :)

• SRC Member
Might be due to a considerable amount of residual silicates in your tank if they still come back, especially if you shut your lights off for 3 days and they still return just as fast

Hi, i use to have marine pure bacteria and one of the reefer told me that there is aluminium oxide and silicates. But i have remove it a week ago.

• SRC Member
Control your feeding or improve your nutrient export.
why? Because its not abt silicates or whatever funky ass stuff. Its about phosphorous.
IFF your tank has consistent, absolutely 0 phosphates. U wont get algae growth. Thats it.
but if phosphate level fluxs, meaning a temporary spike before being exported. The algae still get the nutrients it needs to grow.
Working on one or both of my suggestion is da way.

Hi, ic. I read on website said that rock and sand can keep nutrient due to the water volume have max nutrient. I not sure if I explain correctly. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

• SRC Member

Hi, i use to have marine pure bacteria and one of the reefer told me that there is aluminium oxide and silicates. But i have remove it a week ago.

By algae on your sand I’m assuming you mean brown diatoms correct? In that case silicates could be the underlying issue, diatoms are fed even further by silicates

• SRC Member

By algae on your sand I’m assuming you mean brown diatoms correct? In that case silicates could be the underlying issue, diatoms are fed even further by silicates

Hi, then how do I recover it? I have removed the marine pure and currently running aqua forest bio fil.

• SRC Member
If controling the food is still not  clearing the algae, maybe get some scavenger to maybe clean up food left in the tank or get some fish or invert that eat the algae.

Hi, I got 8 turbo snail but they are dying one by one. I have no idea why. Trying to find the issue but still couldn't get an answer why my turbo snail are drying

• SRC Member
 Hi, then how do I recover it? I have removed the marine pure and currently running aqua forest bio fil.

Just continue running gfo like rowaphos that helps to reduce both phosphates and silicates. If the brown film of diatoms on the sand starts to look like it’s stringy and forms bubbles, that’s when you should be concerned, because that’s probably dinoflagellates/cyanobacteria which is toxic. Diatoms are unsightly but harmless. Bristletooth tangs like a Kole or tomini Tang love the stuff but they normally don’t eat the algae on the sandbed unless little else around to graze.  

Just for the record I have barely any phosphates in my tank(0-0.05) and I still get diatoms. If you’re getting green hair algae and stringy/hairy brown algae, that’s prolly a good indicator your phosphates are too high.

But like others say, getting a good cleanup/algae grazing crew helps to keep the unsightly algae down.

Sandsifters like sandstars, nassarius snails(the ones that clean sand, turbo snails clean rock), and sand-sifting gobies are your best bet

• SRC Member
Just continue running gfo like rowaphos that helps to reduce both phosphates and silicates. If the brown film of diatoms on the sand starts to look like it’s stringy and forms bubbles, that’s when you should be concerned, because that’s probably dinoflagellates/cyanobacteria which is toxic. Diatoms are unsightly but harmless. Bristletooth tangs like a Kole or tomini Tang love the stuff but they normally don’t eat the algae on the sandbed unless little else around to graze.  Just for the record I have barely any phosphates in my tank(0-0.05) and I still get diatoms. If you’re getting green hair algae and stringy/hairy brown algae, that’s prolly a good indicator your phosphates are too high.

But like others say, getting a good cleanup/algae grazing crew helps to keep the unsightly algae down.

Sandsifters like sandstars, nassarius snails(the ones that clean sand, turbo snails clean rock), and sand-sifting gobies are your best bet

Tomorrow let me do some test on my phos and nitrate. And get back to u. The last time my tank reading is phos 0 (tested by hanna) nitrate 12 (tested by nyos)

• SRC Member
How old is ur tank. New tanks tend to get such stuff. If u r running recommended setups that problem shld go away in about 6 to 9 mths. Flow rate is another possibility. Best to share a pic of ur current tank.

Hi, I have this tank for about 2 years plus.

03334ae712035ea6963aa3b2c41bdd44.jpg

• SRC Member

It's probably just shallow sand soaking and feeding nutrients. I'd try some new cuc that goes for those algae. Or cover the left and middle sides with more rock. It seems more growing on the left. Less on the right. Is ur flow rate higher on the right ? It looks to be that way cos ur power head indicates more current on the right.

• SRC Member
It's probably just shallow sand soaking and feeding nutrients. I'd try some new cuc that goes for those algae. Or cover the left and middle sides with more rock. It seems more growing on the left. Less on the right. Is ur flow rate higher on the right ? It looks to be that way cos ur power head indicates more current on the right.

I suppose the flow is stronger on the right. I feel that left has slow flow.

Any recommendation to cure this?

• SRC Member

U can grow out some corals to the Left to shade the sand so that they remain nice and white. Or try angling the power head downwards. Or bring it lower. It's losing power to all the water volume at the top.point it to the bottom right. If the right clears up then maybe one more power head to hit the bottom left.

• SRC Member
U can grow out some corals to the Left to shade the sand so that they remain nice and white. Or try angling the power head downwards. Or bring it lower. It's losing power to all the water volume at the top.point it to the bottom right. If the right clears up then maybe one more power head to hit the bottom left.

I am planning to change my led light first (have promised my wife to sell away current light before purchase new light.) cause maxspect ethereal not strong enough for sps.

• SRC Member
Btw. Ur flow into the tank clashes with ur wave maker. It shld be side by side or behind one another to complement and `push` water for better flow rate. Id Tilt that left flow head to the right in line with ur wave maker.

So u suggest to either turn the flow head forward together with my wave marker?

• SRC Member
22 hours ago, Komerider said:

I would figure out how come one side seems nicer and less algae basically. I think it's better flow rate on that side.

Yes, I agree, maybe I should take the latest photo of my tank.