Need advise on disease ID

• SRC Member

Need ID advise on the white powdery dot around blue tank tail body.

Was this transmitted from other fish? will it transmit from blue tank to other fishes again.

Anyone can suggest the proper treatment to do?

I had took it out of the main tank do a 2 min flesh water bath and put it in a QT, it look very stress right now.

20180227_183331_s.jpg

• SRC Member

This looks like itch.tangs are prone to this.learned from my reef buddies can be from stress as well.
Some advise to run uv.but when u run uv,it might also kill off ur good bacteria as well...thus unsure this will not create more issues..however the best is to ensure they eat as during this itch period they will might or might not eat well.there is also a write up on itch bro.u might wanna read them up...

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Tomorrow buying treatment solution/tab, just afraid it might die in my QT due to other reason. 
Pls qt all ur other fishes too. Most likely they will have it too. Have to keep your dt fish less for at least 6 weeks to truly eradicate it. If not after copper.. Ur dory will be re infected

• SRC Member

Thanks many for the advises.
My mt have coral, thus not able to do treatment directly on mt.
Dory swimming normal this morning, just that it is still frighten and not eating frozen food. Dory it is well fed before taken out of mt. Other fishes in mt not infected, it be better to leave them in mt tank, as my qt can only cycle small load.
Will go buy medicine today. I try to return dory to mt as soon as treatment allow.
Will take note of water flow in mt.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
Thanks many for the advises.
My mt have coral, thus not able to do treatment directly on mt.
Dory swimming normal this morning, just that it is still frighten and not eating frozen food. Dory it is well fed before taken out of mt. Other fishes in mt not infected, it be better to leave them in mt tank, as my qt can only cycle small load.
Will go buy medicine today. I try to return dory to mt as soon as treatment allow.
Will take note of water flow in mt.

Pls don't medicate main tank.. U have to catch out all the fishes into qt.. Main tank can only leave it fish less and the ich will die. Good luck :)

• SRC Member
Pls don't medicate main tank.. U have to catch out all the fishes into qt.. Main tank can only leave it fish less and the ich will die. Good luck

Thanks, is good idea but my qt currently can only handle small bio load, have difficulty even to hold the big dory. Since others fish have no sign of powdry white dots. I leave them in mt first.

• SRC Member
Thanks, is good idea but my qt currently can only handle small bio load, have difficulty even to hold the big dory. Since others fish have no sign of powdry white dots. I leave them in mt first.

Sure. Observe him in qt and let the qt tank cycle before adding the meds if needed.

• SRC Member
Blue tang new? Will be prone. Give it seaweed . But ultimately good food. Dont feed cheap pellets. Ocean nutrition blue or green is my choice. Fish sick frequently is over crowding or lack of nutrition.

Dory been in my tank for few months already. Very energetic. Just weeks ago i added some new fish, some sick and die.

All of the fish i buying, i will check that it does not have obvious disease and parasite. But few weeks ago at pacific reef, i ask the shop guy to catch me a healthy copperband. Reach home put in tank then saw the copperband is full of parasite. Scared me to hell. I take it out and scrape it and put back. It seem ok, but because reject to eat frozen food, after 3 weeks it become weak, saw many white powdery dot on it, it health deteriorate very fast. I put it on qt and it pass away very soon.

Dory was eating well, occasionally have white dot but will gone itself. But yesterday the white powdery seem to come back despite having soaked foods. I afraid the parasite will spread in the mt. It is not the normal ich that i afraid, but is the powdery one that scary.

• SRC Member
Dory been in my tank for few months already. Very energetic. Just weeks ago i added some new fish, some sick and die.

All of the fish i buying, i will check that it does not have obvious disease and parasite. But few weeks ago at pacific reef, i ask the shop guy to catch me a healthy copperband. Reach home put in tank then saw the copperband is full of parasite. Scared me to hell. I take it out and scrape it and put back. It seem ok, but because reject to eat frozen food, after 3 weeks it become weak, saw many white powdery dot on it, it health deteriorate very fast. I put it on qt and it pass away very soon.

Dory was eating well, occasionally have white dot but will gone itself. But yesterday the white powdery seem to come back despite having soaked foods. I afraid the parasite will spread in the mt. It is not the normal ich that i afraid, but is the powdery one that scary.

Sorry.. Wad do u mean scrape it? U mean u tried to physically remove the parasite for the copperband?

• SRC Member
Sorry.. Wad do u mean scrape it? U mean u tried to physically remove the parasite for the copperband?

Ya .. haha. And put in sump tank after that and see of the skin recover. Those are white dots but not powdery type.

• SRC Member
Omg. Haha.. Okie my first time hearing of physical removal haha.. But best to qt new fishes no matter whether they seem healthy or not. If not catching them out from Mt again will be hell

Unless very tiny fish.. my mt dont have holes for them to hide.. but yesterday when i catching dory.. i got stung by orange yuma. About 1x3cm affected area on 4th left finger. Very pain, finger turn red and swollen, chest also pain. Last for like 5 hrs, before the pain reduce.

• SRC Member
Unless very tiny fish.. my mt dont have holes for them to hide.. but yesterday when i catching dory.. i got stung by orange yuma. About 1x3cm affected area on 4th left finger. Very pain, finger turn red and swollen, chest also pain. Last for like 5 hrs, before the pain reduce.

What??? Yuma stings ppl?? I been handling my yuma without gloves
🤯

• SRC Member
What??? Yuma stings ppl?? I been handling my yuma without gloves
🤯

Yuma is sea anemone type. If you press on it, it will fire for self defence. If contact area is large than gana lot of toxin lor.

I even got stung by super sun coral before, accidentally press on it hard .. hahah. Also very pain.

• SRC Member
Yuma is sea anemone type. If you press on it, it will fire for self defence. If contact area is large than gana lot of toxin lor.

I even got stung by super sun coral before, accidentally press on it hard .. hahah. Also very pain.

Wow ok.. Tats good to know
🤣

• SRC Member

I've experienced these situation in great depth before. When I first started, through "professional advised" and I quote " marine ich will be dominant at some point and your fishes will get immune to it."
This is so untrue and rubbish!!!! I wasted a good 1 year staring at my DT with ich (on and off whenever a new fish was added). I've the risk of New fishes not able to battle the immunity against ich.

Unfortunately your only option is to leave the DT fallow for at least 8 weeks (given you have corals).

Finally, Stripped down my entire tank last year due to marine Ich outbreak and diseases. One must dedicate time and passion. What I've experienced will be there is no short cut in this hobby. The importance of having a quarantine tank is Essential. If you are not able to quarantine the new fishes, at the very least perform a fw dip prior to introducing them into the DT.

Having multiple layers of quarantine and observations will effectively give your livestock a greater chance of survival. The grave mistake I've made was to rush into the hobby and lost a substantial amount of live stocks at great cost without doing greater research.

I'll just treat all fishes going into DT be it disease free or not.

Good luck !

• Like 1

• SRC Member
I've experienced these situation in great depth before. When I first started, through "professional advised" and I quote " marine ich will be dominant at some point and your fishes will get immune to it."
This is so untrue and rubbish!!!! I wasted a good 1 year staring at my DT with ich (on and off whenever a new fish was added). I've the risk of New fishes not able to battle the immunity against ich.

Unfortunately your only option is to leave the DT fallow for at least 8 weeks (given you have corals).

Finally, Stripped down my entire tank last year due to marine Ich outbreak and diseases. One must dedicate time and passion. What I've experienced will be there is no short cut in this hobby. The importance of having a quarantine tank is Essential. If you are not able to quarantine the new fishes, at the very least perform a fw dip prior to introducing them into the DT.

Having multiple layers of quarantine and observations will effectively give your livestock a greater chance of survival. The grave mistake I've made was to rush into the hobby and lost a substantial amount of live stocks at great cost without doing greater research.

I'll just treat all fishes going into DT be it disease free or not.

Good luck !

Yup. Ich isn't Smth the fishes deserve to live with. I wouldn't want a parasite endangering my beloved pet fishes like a time bomb. So yup. Qt all new fishes extremely important

• SRC Member

I read that some fish are carrier, the parasite was either dormant in the substrate or imbedded on fish tissue with no outward signs of infection. The parasite will embed and begin feeding, but the fish’s body produces something that nullifies the parasite. While in mt, there is chance of parasitic reoccurrence.

I think is hard to have a parasite free mt.

• SRC Member

I will probably disagree with that.
Just quarantine every single specimen. There are probably 2 school of thoughts.

1) let the fishes fight it out and they will be immune to it!

2) treat it completely in QT regardless of any symptoms and you will not deal with it eventually!

What you are implying is point 1.
Marine ich will always be in the system once being introduced. Fishes showing no symptoms of MI will not indicate that your system/fishes are free of MI. They are probably just resistant to MI. However, once stress (by adding new livestock or re scraping) is induced into the system, the fishes will probably lose its resistant to MI, hence an outbreak. All it take is just a small speck! By Performing A quarantine procedure, it will ensure that MI lifecycle will be totally breeched "it's just the nature of science and their lifecycle that you're battling".

I have zebrasome tangs who used to be living in a tank full of MI which never showed any symptoms of MI while other fishes did continuously. I restarted the entire system, did a proper quarantine procedure and they are all good now. No matter how much my angels and the tangs hates one another and the amount of stress they created between themselves, they are currently still free of MI I've still yet to medicate my DT, however if there's a need I'll recapture all and dump all back to QTs.

• Like 2