Your tank is too young and small to have these two fish.. Copepods hard to find and not sustainable to keep buying to feed your fish. If you want to keep these fish you can set up a chaeto refugium at the same time try to train them to eat frozen.

If you are not willing to go through all that trouble, I suggest returning the fish to the store before they both starve:/ No need to let these poor fish suffer

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Your tank is too young and small to have these two fish.. Copepods hard to find and not sustainable to keep buying to feed your fish. If you want to keep these fish you can set up a chaeto refugium at the same time try to train them to eat frozen.

If you are not willing to go through all that trouble, I suggest returning the fish to the store before they both starve:/ No need to let these poor fish suffer

Agree, buying those pods will not be able to sustain mandarins.... they eat live pods and they eat a lot...

I hear some LFs have tank bred mandarins that feeds on pellets.. maybe we’ll have more success then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

If don’t have to go through the hassle of feeding it live foods then I think it’s worth it. Unless it’s above $100 then forgettaboutit

Totally agree, after all if we buy 3 at $10 and they keep starving... we can buy one tank bred at $30 too.. let’s wait for jt

• SRC Member
44 minutes ago, Kermit13sg said:

Totally agree, after all if we buy 3 at $10 and they keep starving... we can buy one tank bred at $30 too.. let’s wait for jt

If you guys manage to find any, please let me know, we can "group buy"! LOL

• SRC Supporter

I understand that the captive bred mandarins from Biota are ~ US$80 in USA. Not sure how much they will be in Singapore. I doubt it'll be in the S$30 range.

Anyway, one option you have is to breed baby brine shrimps and feed them to your mandarins in the interim until you have sufficient pods.  Baby brine shrimps hatch very quickly within 24hrs.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
On 4/12/2018 at 11:56 PM, Kermit13sg said:

I believe coral farm may be doing this. Call and check? I also want but it will not be in the $10-$12 range

I bought my mandarin from coral farm last oct/nov. tank is a nano tank n somehow its been surviving till now. i feed the clownfish frozen mysis shrimps but i dont think there are any left overs for the mandarin so i believe my tank should have copepods but a new addition of a 2nd mandarin from pinnacle did not survive into his 2nd month. so it still puzzles me as till today whether i have copepods in my tank. 

anyway, the mandarin from coral farm was $9 cause this is my mandarin's name. 9 dollars...