Sirius' Rimless Shallow Mixed Reef

nuclear_fibre

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

rediscovered my old profile here in sgreefclub, got back to the hobby in Aug last year, and am now setting up a new tank.

It will be a 48" by 24" by 18" rimless display tank. Am going for the shallow look, and this will be primarily filled with my traditional favourite of SPS, Acans and Zoas. 

Glad to see that many reefers i have known for so many years are still around and willing to help and offer advice when required.

Hope to learn as much as i can while documenting this journey and life of my mixed reef tank! :)

Regards,

Sirius

• SRC Member

Got the carpenter from my ID to build the cabinet i had envisioned for my tank. It was kinda complicated considering i had many ideas and wanted to incorporate everything i needed (sump, equipment, wiring, controller display box etc) into one. 

Glad the idea i had came to fruition and that the carpenter was willing to work with me on my demands. 

Here's a picture of the cabinet being delivered to my place, last month. Cabinet measured 53" (L) by 34" (W) by 36" (H)

5ad5b312072d4_cabinetdelivery.thumb.jpg.3de9677ea2ecbeb4d63740b1ffbeeb8a.jpg

• SRC Member

Here’s a picture of the cabinet when it was still being finished up. I chose laminates that were used in my house so that they would blend in as part of the interior design.

a9615d5c-dc79-400e-adae-e8fe12bde216.jpg

Seeing that photo just got me excited. It feels different when u r more involved in the design and set up of your own reef.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I forgot to measure the width of my house main entrance when i decided to order a 34" wide cabinet. :angel:

Only occurred to me the night before delivery was due. Luckily, my lift allowed 36" and my main door was exactly 35". The shoe cabinet doors and my main door handle had to be removed before it fit right through. *phew* My carpenter commented on how lucky i was as it would have been game over if the cabinet could not go through. So here's something to learn from for those who wish to embark on such projects themselves in future!

Anyway the tank will be situated in the balcony, the only space i have for a reef tank!

5ad5b5b9da4c2_cabinetdelivery2.thumb.jpg.73d6b47c63f2eb2a60fcab96f2668d01.jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Now back to the cabinet!

Haha u will notice how my main door handles had to be removed to accommodate the cabinet. I really had to thank the gods for such fine margins that allowed the cabinet to come through without prior planning.

IMG_0031.JPG

My cabinet will hide and integrate the water tap outlet and electrical point, which will be the source of energy for this reef.

IMG_0036.JPG

• SRC Member

Fast forward three weeks after the delivery of my cabinet, it was time to welcome my display tank and sump!

Had to wait that long as I was overseas over that duration. Anyway the display was a rimless 12mm crystal glass with clear silicon. I had to say the workmanship was good and I was pleased overall!

Here're pictures of them arriving!

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

The tap water outlet will be hooked up to a RODI unit for auto topup as well as for water changes.

Still am always impressed by the fine black lines from the silicon which make it look so sleek n sophisticated. The sump with its many compartments and glass panels make the silicon lines stand out.

IMG_0047.JPG

• SRC Member

Now here comes my beauty.

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

Three men to lift this beast! Heavy heavy I must say

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

I was contemplating between an external overflow or an internal one. Decided on the latter in the end, and thus the main consideration was to make its footprint as less intrusive as possible in the tank.

IMG_0060.JPG

Haha the cabinet has yet to achieve anything... hardly a legend yet. I hope the reef will turn out nicely tho!

Thanks for following bro

Really happy to be back in this poisonous hobby

Keke... who’s the maker of your setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Keke... who’s the maker of your setup?

I got my cabinet done by my ID’s Carpenter, based off my design and with inputs for feasibility from him. Chose him as I liked the carpentry work done for my house and his workmanship. Would say I wasn’t disappointed at all!

I placed a separate order for my tank with a glass maker. So I would say a few makers are involved in my set up.

As for the piping, i will reveal the works soon! Suspense first.

• SRC Member
Wah. Nice project. 
From the pictures, I see that you have no easy access to the tap once the sump is up and running. What if it leaks?

Hi bro it is actually still easily accessible. I have a 5 inch gap between the back of the sump and the tap so it's reachable. I will try to show some pictures next time!

• SRC Member
Nice looking set up.. how do u fight humidity outside bro.. doesn’t it fog the glass

Nope it's good! No fogging... but I'm just worried about natural sunlight giving rise to nuisance algae problems. So therefore I installed outdoor blinds to combat this