Sirius' Rimless Shallow Mixed Reef

nuclear_fibre

• SRC Member
13 hours ago, nuclear_fibre said:

I like this stag as well. It is a very rich red, the base is green and it’s polyps look like pink with yellow center gonios when up-close... interesting piece.

Snapseed.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

omg!! impressive color!

• Like 1

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member
On 03/07/2018 at 10:34 PM, nuclear_fibre said:

I like this stag as well. It is a very rich red, the base is green and it’s polyps look like pink with yellow center gonios when up-close... interesting piece.

Snapseed.jpg

This is really nice! May i know the name of this variant? 

• SRC Member

Tank update:

Been busy the last week to post updates. But here’s one: I came back home past midnight on Monday night (10 Jul 0100H) to see that my tank had stopped running.

Turns out that the adapters I had used to plug for power from had burnt through, and as all my devices were connected to one single power socket, there was no electrical supply to the tank.

392C50B7-8200-483F-B20C-0C62C44D6606.jpg

048600DF-AE9E-49E1-B41D-B8A6A0D9F469.jpg

I found out through one of the timer switches that the power supply had stopped since 2100H, which meant a blackout period of about 4H. This was luckily a fortunate incident as it happened at night when the weather was not so hot here, and that not too long a time lapsed before I noticed the impending catastrophe. After I restored power to the tank, the temp was 27.2°c and I was lucky that no major coral or fish died (less one Sps that STN-ed) the next day.

This was a wake up call for proper electrical management and contingencies against all the valuable livestock we have. Hope no reefers follow my same foolish footsteps.

• SRC Member

Thanks for sharing, glad to know no major casualties or disasters. Agree electrical management is extremely important for us as we run so many gadgets.

So how do we mitigate repeats? Split the appliances into different wall sockets which feed several power bars, so that the total amperage doesn’t exceed safety limits, I guess?

• SRC Member
oh gosh.. Luckily you were still in singapore.

Yes, I count my lucky stars that also the power supply only stopped at 9pm... and not like 1pm when I was not at home. If the outage had lasted 12 hours in the afternoon and with my tank in the balcony... I would have come home to a tank filled with 400litres of Meiji milk (and suffered from depression for the next 30 days). 🤨

• SRC Member
Thanks for sharing, glad to know no major casualties or disasters. Agree electrical management is extremely important for us as we run so many gadgets.
So how do we mitigate repeats? Split the appliances into different wall sockets which feed several power bars, so that the total amperage doesn’t exceed safety limits, I guess?

Yeah hope this sharing also serves as a wake up call for those reefers testing the limits like me.

Since u asked let me share a little more. I had spent a fortune on my livestock and some hairs within me had alrdy started to stand when I occasionally heard electrical surging sounds coming from my socket. So I decided to call an electrician to my place. The plan was to install two separate power points that would be linked to its own CB. I had also wanted these two CBs to be housed in a separate ELCB so that if anything trips in the house my tank would still be running, so these thoughts would provide a double contingency.

However the electrician said it wasn’t possible as my house wiring is all concealed, and they have no way to run a new wiring to the balcony except to only tap from the existing powerpoint to split 13A outlets. And I could not set up an ELCB that was separate from the one for my home as it would compromise regulations and put my home at more risk from fire. So I just skipped the idea altogether.

To answer your question, only power was not available to my tank as the socket had burnt through. But actually power was still available at the socket. So my CB did not trip. There was no overload as my total power consumption did not exceed 13A.

Now to solve this, I actually got the electrician to come the next day evening to install 4 x 13A powerpoints at that affected outlet. Good thing was that the power socket was connected solely to a 20A CB that wasn’t split anywhere else in the house. So now I can effectively have 4 power sockets that combined cannot exceed 20A but individually up to 13A.

Sorry for the long write up

Glad everything ok.

• Like 1

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

When I read your observstion:

'There was no overload as my total power consumption did not exceed 13A'

This may also be the reason of poor quality sockets / power adapters . The material or the quality is not be good enough.

I did had similar experience, not in my tank but other heavy load equipment like washing machine.

Good that you are able to respond in time.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
When I read your observstion:

'There was no overload as my total power consumption did not exceed 13A'

This may also be the reason of poor quality sockets / power adapters . The material or the quality is not be good enough.

I did had similar experience, not in my tank but other heavy load equipment like washing machine.

Good that you are able to respond in time.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Hi bro yes u are correct. I plugged these two adapters onto each other before plugging in the multi-plugs which power my equipment. Reason being I connected 2 x multi plugs to this single socket and I needed the lateral displacement from the socket to fit in two plugs. They are not good quality and should not be “stacked” like this. To think that we usually spend thousands and thousands on top-quality equipment but hinge the life of the system on $5 plugs.

• SRC Member
Tank update:

Been busy the last week to post updates. But here’s one: I came back home past midnight on Monday night (10 Jul 0100H) to see that my tank had stopped running.

Turns out that the adapters I had used to plug for power from had burnt through, and as all my devices were connected to one single power socket, there was no electrical supply to the tank.

392C50B7-8200-483F-B20C-0C62C44D6606.thumb.jpg.28d67e716c2ef2156bb2cbac39c94304.jpg

048600DF-AE9E-49E1-B41D-B8A6A0D9F469.thumb.jpg.fd36cbafbc39d1d305f72cee680bef14.jpg

I found out through one of the timer switches that the power supply had stopped since 2100H, which meant a blackout period of about 4H. This was luckily a fortunate incident as it happened at night when the weather was not so hot here, and that not too long a time lapsed before I noticed the impending catastrophe. After I restored power to the tank, the temp was 27.2°c and I was lucky that no major coral or fish died (less one Sps that STN-ed) the next day.

This was a wake up call for proper electrical management and contingencies against all the valuable livestock we have. Hope no reefers follow my same foolish footsteps.

Omg. Bro dont connect all tgt. The heat frm all e equipment not funny one.

• Like 1

When my tank more ready...will come...lol.

Few pointers:

1. Multi - socket is generally not approved, hence you seldom see the CE safety logo.

2. Loading is one point, got to look at surge also.

3. Buying equipment, those non 3 pins, may not be designed for sg use and hence risk involved in using. 

4. Have those extension cord standby for emergency. 

5. For equipment with high risk failure, use elcb socket to minimize main breaker tripping.

6. Warning device... those aquarium controller or isocket or those device for intelligent home setup. 

Good sharing exp. see you soon. 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler