Sirius' Rimless Shallow Mixed Reef

nuclear_fibre

• SRC Supporter

So sad to hear this. I feel your pain :(

Better cover all bases - gaps in net, battery backup, potential leaks etc.  Remember to enable the 'heartbeat' feature on your Apex if not already done. 

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
So sad to hear this. I feel your pain
Better cover all bases - gaps in net, battery backup, potential leaks etc.  Remember to enable the 'heartbeat' feature on your Apex if not already done. 

Yes, it’s like my tank is trying to show me issues I have to settle one after the other. Such a coincidence that this happens within 24 hours of u asking me about the security of the netting in the way I run the lines.

Ok I’m gonna try to enable heartbeat on the apex now. Will see when i have the spare cash and time to buy the backup battery.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Did you just run the lines of ur cover in only  direction? 

Unfortunately yes... I had thought that was sufficient. But I was wrong and had to pay a heavy price for it. Think I’ll stay off fairy wrasses for the time being and just let the roseafascia be the king.

69D23852-9F21-4C29-BCCF-B337EEE4CD96.jpg

• SRC Member
5 hours ago, nuclear_fibre said:

Unfortunately yes... I had thought that was sufficient. But I was wrong and had to pay a heavy price for it. Think I’ll stay off fairy wrasses for the time being and just let the roseafascia be the king.

69D23852-9F21-4C29-BCCF-B337EEE4CD96.jpg

U do hv holes pre drilled the other sides? Wld be gd to also run the other direction but think very time consuming to go over n under lines. I was fortunate to hv a netting over given by very generous Iceman. My yellow coris jumped so many times wetting my floor hahahh

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Best thing I found out today was that the SRC app is working again. Thus I’m back! Been neglecting updates as I found it troublesome to post from a web browser

Stay tuned for changes/updates to my reef!

Hahaha!!! Never thank me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
U do hv holes pre drilled the other sides? Wld be gd to also run the other direction but think very time consuming to go over n under lines. I was fortunate to hv a netting over given by very generous Iceman. My yellow coris jumped so many times wetting my floor hahahh

Hi Marcal I realised I forgot to reply you on your questions! Yes I have holes pre drilled in the other direction! Actually I have completed running the lines across as of last weekend (I know I took so long!!) so it should be secure now.

Will try and update w a picture soon!

• SRC Member

Ok time to catch up on updates on the equipment end for now.

I had to re-position the doser into my sump compartment following the purchase of my apex. Got my carpenter to help modify and install a rack above my sump to do this.

Here’s the intended position.
3B02FBD8-08A6-48E1-99F6-143C16020281.jpg

Carpenter came on the same day of my request and helped me install the rack.
c3fe1443-d893-450a-9f35-03600e747385.jpg

Decided to conceal and arrange the cabling nicely to accommodate the apex and all the equipment. I also bought an additional EB-6 powerbar to run all my gadgets on the Apex.

Here’s a 80% re-wiring completion picture.
B9665BF5-1CA8-4076-8BE4-63F99EF2935F.jpg

When all the job is done:
67B97692-FF5A-4A08-830B-B524A158C53D.jpg
69E29CC4-15D3-47FD-B20B-A50CF5DA5B14.jpg

I bought an IP webcam as well back in July along with the Apex. This way I can now remotely monitor my reef. Just a simple one from Challenger store.
C8AE6F87-F0F7-4FFB-A668-3E8EDD9CE4EF.jpg

• SRC Member

In addition, I started getting excited and ordered additional gadgets. One of the main things from this purchase was the addition of a wave maker to create more flow in my tank.

IMG_2378.JPG

The magnetic probe rack from Apex was also quite a cool gadget that impressed me.
4C3AB69F-5305-4B67-A876-D74509078F20.jpg

D78FA257-15B6-4E39-A925-15D77265AED6.jpg

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, nuclear_fibre said:

Ok time to catch up on updates on the equipment end for now.

I had to re-position the doser into my sump compartment following the purchase of my apex. Got my carpenter to help modify and install a rack above my sump to do this.

Here’s the intended position.
3B02FBD8-08A6-48E1-99F6-143C16020281.jpg

Carpenter came on the same day of my request and helped me install the rack.
c3fe1443-d893-450a-9f35-03600e747385.jpg

Decided to conceal and arrange the cabling nicely to accommodate the apex and all the equipment. I also bought an additional EB-6 powerbar to run all my gadgets on the Apex.

Here’s a 80% re-wiring completion picture.
B9665BF5-1CA8-4076-8BE4-63F99EF2935F.jpg

When all the job is done:
67B97692-FF5A-4A08-830B-B524A158C53D.jpg
69E29CC4-15D3-47FD-B20B-A50CF5DA5B14.jpg

I bought an IP webcam as well back in July along with the Apex. This way I can now remotely monitor my reef. Just a simple one from Challenger store. emoji28.png
C8AE6F87-F0F7-4FFB-A668-3E8EDD9CE4EF.jpg

Very nice!! Those cable organizers are so neat man.. also, can share some pictures of the webcam? Is the resolution clear? Been looking for one reliable one which provides clear images 

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, nuclear_fibre said:

Hi Marcal I realised I forgot to reply you on your questions! Yes I have holes pre drilled in the other direction! Actually I have completed running the lines across as of last weekend (I know I took so long!!emoji28.png) so it should be secure now.

Will try and update w a picture soon! emoji38.png

Hahaha...no worries n thanks for reply. It is gd to know that ur livestocks are secured. And it is always interesting to read ur updates.

• SRC Member

Just took this photo. Decided to buy this Frag station from DE last month and put 10 different zoas on it. They have grown a few polyps now on each frag plug as they only started with between 1-3 polyps initially.

Hopefully I can see a full garden in a few months time and can have a comparison photo.

Snapseed.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

With the new promotion by Reef Depot, I decided to take the plunge and invest in a few new toys too.

Got them all over the last weekend.

IMG_8744.JPG

IMG_8745.JPG

I also decided to change out my 3 marine pure blocks and try out this product from Maxspect. Have read some good reviews about it and I hope I get good results as well!

IMG_8752.JPG

The Nero5 is also one really cool toy. Plug and play all so easy with My AI app running the Hydra52HDs.

IMG_8756.JPG

• SRC Member

Now on to the topic most reefers are interested in: the livestock.

I’ve had to battle with several issues over the last couple of months which were quite demoralising.

Firstly, on livestock, I lost my Gem Tang about 2 months after I got it. Bought the beauty in the first week of August and it was one day in early October when I realised something was wrong when it wasn’t able to eat properly. The gem tang could not “catch” the food that it was aiming to eat, I realised its stomach looked a little shrunken and by the next day I could not find it anywhere in my tank.

Here’s a remembrance shot. I realised I never really took pictures of him while he was with me and u only get to regret it after they are gone.

AC81F289-A720-433A-A315-ECFFA8E35D55.jpg

I also lost a lineatus fairy wrasse after a month of constant bullying by my powder blue tang. The PBT has slowly but surely established itself as the biggest bully on the block and I also attribute the Gem Tang’s demise to constant harassment by the PBT as well.

On the coral front, I had worse ordeals with acropora. While it is embarrassing for most reefers to admit, and without revealing it yet, I reckon most of you will be able to hazard a guess what happened?

• SRC Member

I’ve had to battle with several issues over the last couple of months which were quite demoralising.

Firstly, on livestock, I lost my Gem Tang about 2 months after I got it. Bought the beauty in the first week of August and it was one day in early October when I realised something was wrong when it wasn’t able to eat properly. The gem tang could not “catch” the food that it was aiming to eat, I realised its stomach looked a little shrunken and by the next day I could not find it anywhere in my tank.

Here’s a remembrance shot. I realised I never really took pictures of him while he was with me and u only get to regret it after they are gone.

AC81F289-A720-433A-A315-ECFFA8E35D55.thumb.jpg.d7c694ab010c7a355da7d09113deceb0.jpg

I also lost a lineatus fairy wrasse after a month of constant bullying by my powder blue tang. The PBT has slowly but surely established itself as the biggest bully on the block and I also attribute the Gem Tang’s demise to constant harassment by the PBT as well.

On the coral front, I had worse ordeals with acropora. While it is embarrassing for most reefers to admit, and without revealing it yet, I reckon most of you will be able to hazard a guess what happened?

Nothing else more worst to face with is AEFW...??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
23 hours ago, nuclear_fibre said:

AC81F289-A720-433A-A315-ECFFA8E35D55.jpg

On the coral front, I had worse ordeals with acropora. While it is embarrassing for most reefers to admit, and without revealing it yet, I reckon most of you will be able to hazard a guess what happened? emoji28.png

Sad to hear about the fish situation.

I really wonder if there are ways to prevent it. Feed some supplements to boost immunity or provide the necessary pro-biotic bacteria needed?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Nothing else more worst to face with is AEFW...??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes bro haha u already know... my acropora were all infected with aefw and also another dreaded pest... apparently known as black bugs

1CAA4A30-7F1A-49DE-83CC-353D79E5A9BE.jpg

These pests decimated my Acro week after week before I decided I had enough and removed all acropora from my tank. Fortunately I had the privilege of being able to hold all the surviving ones in a fellow Reefer friend’s QT and have been doing weekly dips to remove these pests.

The plan is to do this for about 5 weeks or so. The hope is that leaving my tank barren of acro would starve and kill these aefw and black bugs while the weekly dips would also kill any aefw eggs that were not removed and have hatched. Gotta start from scratch and suffer the losses from this weekly stressing.

Stark reminder on the importance of proper quarantine, inspection and dipping whenever introducing new corals into the tank.