my first nano tank

ladynano

• SRC Member

I'm sharing my tank journey because I'm new to this hobby and would like to get feedback and lessons along the way.

i bought an IM10 from FnM and a 2nd hand ghost skimmer. still waiting for my AI Prime HD shipment to arrive... 

have been cycling with a live rock and shrimp for about 10 days now. really cannot wait till the water cycling process ends. 

hoping to learn more from you reefers, so do share some tips with me! thank you! :yahoo:

20180426_231140.thumb.jpg.19ae4264406a9fbc1309c4c127aeaa7d.jpg

• SRC Member
On 05/05/2018 at 7:26 PM, Patrick said:

You can use natural seawater don’t have to cycle water. Get a clean liverock from LFS and you can put in livestocks.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

where can I collect natural seawater and how to ensure that its able to be used in my nano tank? 

• SRC Member

Are you adding bacteria to seed your rock? It drastically shortens the length of the cycle(less than a week in some cases). Getting live rock from an LFS will also help to speed up the process. Be sure to have test kits on hand too. Once you test for 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, you’re good to put fish in.

• SRC Member

did a water change and turned on the ghost skimmer. Will test water parameters tomorrow! 

the ghost skimmer fits so neatly in the 2nd compartment that I doubt any other skimmer would work for this tank. anyone tried other skimmers? I need another option if this dies on me. haha. 

20180509_001228.thumb.jpg.0620fa77928ced51552302de04151b98.jpg

• SRC Member

Not sure if your cycle is complete so it is indeed a gamble, especially for the sun coral. They fall under the classification of non-synthetic coral, meaning to say they derive most of their nutrition from feeding. And so comes the questions of balancing water quality & heavier feeding to sustain the coral. One might therefore find them in more established systems.

why not stick to photosynthetic corals at the start, once you stabilize your system & get more reefing experience, progress to livestock with more specialized care needs?

some starter livestock include GSP, regular zoas, photosynthetic gorgonians, leathers

• Like 1

• SRC Member
17 hours ago, JMW said:

Not sure if your cycle is complete so it is indeed a gamble, especially for the sun coral. They fall under the classification of non-synthetic coral, meaning to say they derive most of their nutrition from feeding. And so comes the questions of balancing water quality & heavier feeding to sustain the coral. One might therefore find them in more established systems.

why not stick to photosynthetic corals at the start, once you stabilize your system & get more reefing experience, progress to livestock with more specialized care needs?

some starter livestock include GSP, regular zoas, photosynthetic gorgonians, leathers

Hi! 

actually I planned to keep zoas to start but the thing is, I'm still waiting for my lights =/ it's been 3 weeks already so there's really nth much I can do other then waiting.. 

anyways, the little clown is alive and happily swimming. I wish I can get something for it to host soon. 

• SRC Member
ya I could, but I'm just afraid it'll be even more high maintenance for the already high maintenance 10G nano tank. :angel: 

Eventually you’ll get algae growth, the difference between going bare-bottom vs sand is algae is more likely to grow all over the base of the tank that isn’t covered by live rock or sand. In the long-term some people like that cause you can practically get a bottom that is purple with coralline algae, but in the short-term it may look like the worst thing ever when there’s undesirable algaes or diatoms taking up real estate on the bottom of your tank. (Though imo diatoms on white sand look worse)

As Long as you’re not overstocked with fish and have some manner of a clean-up crew a sandbed isn’t much maintenance at all, dare I say vacuuming isn’t even necessary in those cases.

• SRC Member
5 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

Eventually you’ll get algae growth, the difference between going bare-bottom vs sand is algae is more likely to grow all over the base of the tank that isn’t covered by live rock or sand. In the long-term some people like that cause you can practically get a bottom that is purple with coralline algae, but in the short-term it may look like the worst thing ever when there’s undesirable algaes or diatoms taking up real estate on the bottom of your tank. (Though imo diatoms on white sand look worse)

As Long as you’re not overstocked with fish and have some manner of a clean-up crew a sandbed isn’t much maintenance at all, dare I say vacuuming isn’t even necessary in those cases.

your reply is so informative! and I agree, diatoms on sands is seriously one pain to look at. 

i have intentions to have a zoas garden so I think once the bottom is covered with more rocks and zoas, it'll be less unsightly than barebottom. (or at least the attention will be diverted to the zoas) 

may I seek your advice on lights. i still don't have any lights for my tank becos I'm still waiting for my AI Prime HD to arrive..... do u suggest I just wait till it arrives eventually, or buy a cheap spare lights first and slowly grow the zoas garden and change when my lights arrive? 

• SRC Member
your reply is so informative! and I agree, diatoms on sands is seriously one pain to look at. 
i have intentions to have a zoas garden so I think once the bottom is covered with more rocks and zoas, it'll be less unsightly than barebottom. (or at least the attention will be diverted to the zoas) 
may I seek your advice on lights. i still don't have any lights for my tank becos I'm still waiting for my AI Prime HD to arrive..... do u suggest I just wait till it arrives eventually, or buy a cheap spare lights first and slowly grow the zoas garden and change when my lights arrive? 

I think it’s a better idea to wait for your AI Prime to arrive. Reason being that if you get cheap lighting, while only temporary- may allow algae to get a head start and potentially by the time you want to start growing your zoas, pest algaes may have gained a foothold in your tank because lights will no doubt grow algae sooner or later. Especially if it’s not a suitable spectrum for reeftanks.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, soggycookies said:

I think it’s a better idea to wait for your AI Prime to arrive. Reason being that if you get cheap lighting, while only temporary- may allow algae to get a head start and potentially by the time you want to start growing your zoas, pest algaes may have gained a foothold in your tank because lights will no doubt grow algae sooner or later. Especially if it’s not a suitable spectrum for reeftanks.

Thanks for the valuable advice! I will just wait patiently for the AI Prime. :score:

• SRC Member
On 09/05/2018 at 1:03 PM, Zhi Long Oh said:

nice. keep the updates going. probaby can update us on the list of livestocks?

missed out your reply! currently have a young clown and sun coral. no lights so I'm super handicap now. :(

• SRC Member

Im also a Nano tank but with sump. Only got live rocks n 2 clownfish n 2 goby. Awaiting to buy coral but don't know yet what coral to put. Still a newbie here8aac482a4e64da4adb7108ca46e00ffc.jpg709fb4ef5ddc4a6d87df30793ae3ab2f.jpg

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, Tabungrahim said:

Im also a Nano tank but with sump. Only got live rocks n 2 clownfish n 2 goby. Awaiting to buy coral but don't know yet what coral to put. Still a newbie here8aac482a4e64da4adb7108ca46e00ffc.jpg709fb4ef5ddc4a6d87df30793ae3ab2f.jpg

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

Hello! i have been reading your past threads!

are you using an IM tank? what made you decide on getting a sump for your nano tank? my IM10's evaporation rate is driving me crazy!

maybe you can consider zoas and softies? I'm going to make a zoas garden!