my first nano tank

ladynano

• SRC Member

upgraded the pump that came with my IM10 with a Eheim compactON 1000. seriously now..... I should have done it when I first bought the tank.

its tuned to slightly lower than the half mark, so I guess 500l/h? but boy am I finally seeing water movement in the tank! I suppose u can make do with a Eheim 600 if you're using an IM10. 

here's a photo of the pump and hose for anyone who's interested to know. 

20180512_224552.thumb.jpg.25a342cbcf79c36e4d12db89b5bbecf0.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Do share more pics & updates :)

Its just easier to make your own salt mix. You can use your old pump to help with the mixing. I would not collect water from the shores around Singapore. Don't think its very clean. Also, natural sea water has the issue of inconsistent salinity (eg. if collected shortly after rain)

The white stuff on the glass bottom could be precipitated salt. Possibly due to lack of sufficient water movement over extended periods?

That's a good choice of pump. The pump will slow down over time as it gets dirty. I have a Eheim 600 for my 10 gallon & feel its under powered after a while.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
3 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Do share more pics & updates :)

Its just easier to make your own salt mix. You can use your old pump to help with the mixing. I would not collect water from the shores around Singapore. Don't think its very clean. Also, natural sea water has the issue of inconsistent salinity (eg. if collected shortly after rain)

The white stuff on the glass bottom could be precipitated salt. Possibly due to lack of sufficient water movement over extended periods?

That's a good choice of pump. The pump will slow down over time as it gets dirty. I have a Eheim 600 for my 10 gallon & feel its under powered after a while.

Hi!

thanks for the reassurance of getting the Eheim 1000. hopefully with the new pump, I will experience less precipitated salt at the bottom. took me so long to scrub them off...

is your 10G tank for your zoas? I'm thinking of having a zoas garden in mine. 

• SRC Member
6 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I’m thinking of upgrading 600 to this. I found the price. But was told footprint of pump too big to fit into the return chamber of IM 10 gal. Do you intend to run it outside the tank. Please share pics emoji847.png

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I paid $70 for mine, and seems like there's no diff from a Eheim 600 hahaha.

are you using a IM10? my 1000 fits perfectly in the last chamber. I'm trying to avoid having equipments running outside the tank if possible. 

• SRC Supporter
1 hour ago, ladynano said:

Hi!

thanks for the reassurance of getting the Eheim 1000. hopefully with the new pump, I will experience less precipitated salt at the bottom. took me so long to scrub them off...

is your 10G tank for your zoas? I'm thinking of having a zoas garden in mine. 

Yes, it was for Zoas. Some pics here : 

I've decommed it for the moment.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
I paid $70 for mine, and seems like there's no diff from a Eheim 600 hahaha.

are you using a IM10? my 1000 fits perfectly in the last chamber. I'm trying to avoid having equipments running outside the tank if possible. 

Yes Im using IM10. Oh no diff from 600? Thanks for sharing I’ll probably go for the old model 1000. Yes I too like to have less clutter outside the tank.

• SRC Member

Ladynano

I highly suggest u follow and attached yourself to an experienced mentor so that your journey will be much easier.

Sun coral is not a good buy for small setup.

Nano tank is best to go with softies - zoas, mushroom, xenia, leather

Follow my instagram at https://www.instagram.com/reefparadisez

• SRC Member

Home made saltwater with tapwater is still alot better than the seawater collected from the beach. I once accidentally poured in some from a fish i caught from fishing trip and few weeks later i had dinoflagellates which wasnt there before. I may have high nutrients in my tank but probably accidental introduction of sea water from our local shores made the dino feel at home. Took about a week of blackout and hydrogen peroxide to get red of it.

• SRC Member
7 hours ago, equiox said:

Ladynano

I highly suggest u follow and attached yourself to an experienced mentor so that your journey will be much easier.

Sun coral is not a good buy for small setup.

Nano tank is best to go with softies - zoas, mushroom, xenia, leather

Hi! can you be my mentor please?! :angel:

I ordered my lights 3 weeks ago but its still not here!! so I cannot keep anything till I get my lights :( I was given the sun coral to test out but I think I will be returning it back soon. it's not opening even though I hand feed them every night.

actually, may I know why sun coral is not ideal for nano tank? I think i need to understand more so I can be wiser in picking livestock for my tank. I've seen many nano with sps! :huh:

• SRC Member
4 minutes ago, kapemasarap said:

Home made saltwater with tapwater is still alot better than the seawater collected from the beach. I once accidentally poured in some from a fish i caught from fishing trip and few weeks later i had dinoflagellates which wasnt there before. I may have high nutrients in my tank but probably accidental introduction of sea water from our local shores made the dino feel at home. Took about a week of blackout and hydrogen peroxide to get red of it.

:shock: oh no... that sounds terrible! were there any casualties becos of that? I bought the coral dip solution and I'll ensure that I disinfect all corals bought from others before introducing into my tank. 

• SRC Member
:shock: oh no... that sounds terrible! were there any casualties becos of that? I bought the coral dip solution and I'll ensure that I disinfect all corals bought from others before introducing into my tank. 

Fortunately none, snails were still alive. Im pretty sure i did overdose on hydrogen peroxide but not by miles too many. Its a good practice to dip the corals before putting them into your main tank. I learned the hard way of getting rid of nudibranches that came with the zoa colony that i bought. I had to introduce yellow wrasse to get rid of them. In any case, i think nano tank are fun and a good learning curve of saltwater tank husbandry as water changes is much easier to do in case of any undesirable outcome.

• SRC Member
31 minutes ago, kapemasarap said:

Fortunately none, snails were still alive. Im pretty sure i did overdose on hydrogen peroxide but not by miles too many. Its a good practice to dip the corals before putting them into your main tank. I learned the hard way of getting rid of nudibranches that came with the zoa colony that i bought. I had to introduce yellow wrasse to get rid of them. In any case, i think nano tank are fun and a good learning curve of saltwater tank husbandry as water changes is much easier to do in case of any undesirable outcome.

Ohh thank goodness then! what size tank do u have? any thread on your tank? 

actually I'm not sure if I made the right decision to get a 10G tank for starter because it takes a lot of discipline to maintain. the evaporation rate is crazy.... 

• SRC Member

Just to chip in, I started with a 2 feet and I felt it’s pretty hard to maintain water parameters. Changed to 3 feet only after 2 weeks....lol. I think for nano, have to really go slow. (Actually for marine tanks. Lol). My 2 cents. 

Ohh thank goodness then! what size tank do u have? any thread on your tank? 
actually I'm not sure if I made the right decision to get a 10G tank for starter because it takes a lot of discipline to maintain. the evaporation rate is crazy.... 

For the evaporation you can get an ATO. I’m using a gravity fed canister that you hang on the back of the tank. It does look a bit messy but the amount of work you save is SO worth it. Plus it will be more stable than manually topping up everyday.

• SRC Member
Just now, suehwee said:

For the evaporation you can get an ATO. I’m using a gravity fed canister that you hang on the back of the tank. It does look a bit messy but the amount of work you save is SO worth it. Plus it will be more stable than manually topping up everyday.

Agree on the ATO, pretty critical, given the high temp in SG. Salinity swings can get pretty high for 10G. Alternatively, you can consider the Tunze 3152. Buy a jerry can to store water and just top up from there. Depending on the size of your jerry can, should last a few days.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, suehwee said:

how do you attach the canister? to the wall? I'm thinking of inverting a bottle of water at the last chamber and let the tank slowly "drink" haha. but then idk what will happen once I go on long holiday. 

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, Jeebusai said:

Just to chip in, I started with a 2 feet and I felt it’s pretty hard to maintain water parameters. Changed to 3 feet only after 2 weeks....lol. I think for nano, have to really go slow. (Actually for marine tanks. Lol). My 2 cents. 

huh 2 weeks! that's so fast. I think now that I only have clownfishes (and a sun coral that I will return soon) in the tank, I don't see any damage to fluctuations in water parameters. but i think once I start adding corals.... hahaha maybe I'll be replying this post again and telling u I have upgraded my tank :lol:

1 hour ago, Jeebusai said:

Agree on the ATO, pretty critical, given the high temp in SG. Salinity swings can get pretty high for 10G. Alternatively, you can consider the Tunze 3152. Buy a jerry can to store water and just top up from there. Depending on the size of your jerry can, should last a few days.

I'm still trying to avoid getting a chiller.

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, ladynano said:

huh 2 weeks! that's so fast. I think now that I only have clownfishes (and a sun coral that I will return soon) in the tank, I don't see any damage to fluctuations in water parameters. but i think once I start adding corals.... hahaha maybe I'll be replying this post again and telling u I have upgraded my tank :lol:

I'm still trying to avoid getting a chiller.

I was in the same dilemma as u. Didn’t want the hassle of a chiller. I’m the end I succumbed. Lol. Without a chiller, the type of corals u can keep may be limited. Depending on ur tank placement. Ambient temperature can hit as high as 30 degrees indoors. My place has evening sun and it makes it worse

Another alternative is cooling fan, but the evaporation will be worse. 

• SRC Member
16 minutes ago, Jeebusai said:

I was in the same dilemma as u. Didn’t want the hassle of a chiller. I’m the end I succumbed. Lol. Without a chiller, the type of corals u can keep may be limited. Depending on ur tank placement. Ambient temperature can hit as high as 30 degrees indoors. My place has evening sun and it makes it worse

Another alternative is cooling fan, but the evaporation will be worse. 

the temp of my tank is quite high now, even more so after switching pump. am thinking of switching placement to under the aircon. 

• SRC Member
23 hours ago, ladynano said:

the temp of my tank is quite high now, even more so after switching pump. am thinking of switching placement to under the aircon. 

hi sis...

welcome to reefing.. is your tank place in a aircon room? if not would really advice you to get a chiller for your tank.  like one of the bros have said, without chiller, you have been restricted with lesser choice of corals to keep.

there is quite a few reefer keeping a beautiful mix reef IM10, but they do have a chiller attach on.

Lots of reefer is willing to teach, you just need to be able to accept our advice. 

Trust me, "Equinox aka ben" is not the right person to be a mentor.. :evil: he himself also very stubborn almost everytime. Lol!

Regards, 
Lorenzo

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png