Quarantine invertebrates?

• SRC Member

Hi guys, invertebrates need to be quarantine? If yes, normally how is done?

I done some read up and generally is 50% Yes 50% No kind of review

Can give me some advice as i'm a newbie...

xie xie

• SRC Supporter

I don't quarantine invertebrates as they are not carriers of the commonly feared fish parasites (eg. Ich, Brooke etc)

However, 2 things I do when it comes to invertebrates:

1) A longer acclimatization period as invertebrates tend to be more sensitive to water parameter changes. About 4 hour acclimatization (as compared to 30min to 1hr for fishes)

2) Minimize chances of adding LFS water to your display tank. After acclimatization, I transfer the invertebrate to another container with tank water for several minutes. ...then introduce to tank. Its like an extra rinse process.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
I’ve read that Ich and Brook can latch onto any hard surfaces (Corals,Snail Shells,nets etc) or anything that’s wet. I don’t quarantine anything other than fish,but each to their own I guess.:dunno:

While very unlikely, there is a chance that their cysts settle on any hard surface like the shells of inverts. The same can be said for velvet. It all comes down to how lucky(or unlucky) you are I guess , though I’m certain the chances of it coming from LFS water or a healthy-looking fish that can still carry these parasites are much, much higher.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

I don't quarantine invertebrates as they are not carriers of the commonly feared fish parasites (eg. Ich, Brooke etc)

However, 2 things I do when it comes to invertebrates:

1) A longer acclimatization period as invertebrates tend to be more sensitive to water parameter changes. About 4 hour acclimatization (as compared to 30min to 1hr for fishes)

2) Minimize chances of adding LFS water to your display tank. After acclimatization, I transfer the invertebrate to another container with tank water for several minutes. ...then introduce to tank. Its like an extra rinse process.

Bro, thx for the sharing.

I guess i will follow your way too when doing acclimate with my invertebrates...

For soft & LPS coral also the same? dont really need to quarantine, i do understand SPS coral required quarantine.