Tank Maker and equipments

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Planning to get back into the hobby after a 10 yrs break. :)

Lost touch with all the suppliers and equipment so hope you guys can assist.

Firstly I plan to get a 36" x 24" x 24" custom tank with cabinet. Need advise on who are the good tank maker currently around. Also what is the current market price for the tank and cabinet, so that i don't get chop carrot head. :D

Thank you!

Rick

• SRC Member

Depends whether u looking for old or new tank setup.....AquaMarin has the tank u need which New and come with all equipment needed also setting up with sand and rocks

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, for the tank and cabinet will be getting brand new. 

I went down to qian hu to take a look at the the Red Sea Reefer 250. Not in stock, but they have a smaller unit on display.

Looks absolutely beautiful, without water inside. But i would imagine it will be a maintenance headache with all the salt water spilling all over when using the magnet cleaner / general maintenance or when adjusting the wave maker. Another minus point is the 20" height and  width of the tank. I like to do a bit of DIY so a plug and play set takes a bit of fun away.

Price seems to be on the high side, but this is relative as I am not sure what is the market price for a 36" custom tank set at the moment. Can any kind reefer who recently purchase a custom tank set drop me a PM with the pricing.

I was reading up on the glass type available for fish tank and there is a normal glass vs low iron glass. Is the really a difference in the 2 type?

Price wise any huge difference between normal vs low iron glass?

Thanks man!

• SRC Member
7 minutes ago, rickster88888 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, for the tank and cabinet will be getting brand new. 

I went down to qian hu to take a look at the the Red Sea Reefer 250. Not in stock, but they have a smaller unit on display.

Looks absolutely beautiful, without water inside. But i would imagine it will be a maintenance headache with all the salt water spilling all over when using the magnet cleaner / general maintenance or when adjusting the wave maker. Another minus point is the 20" height and  width of the tank. I like to do a bit of DIY so a plug and play set takes a bit of fun away.

Price seems to be on the high side, but this is relative as I am not sure what is the market price for a 36" custom tank set at the moment. Can any kind reefer who recently purchase a custom tank set drop me a PM with the pricing.

I was reading up on the glass type available for fish tank and there is a normal glass vs low iron glass. Is the really a difference in the 2 type?

Price wise any huge difference between normal vs low iron glass?

Thanks man!

Hi Bro, went through the same headache as you recently. LOL. In the end settled for a Red Sea 250. I went around asking for quotes and custom is actually more expensive then the red sea 250. A few custom makers even asked me to use normal glass for the sides lol.

to summarise for you the pros and cons :

Pros :

-Red Sea 250 (correct me if im wrong) offers you damn good value in terms of price to quality/worksmanship which is very hard to beat. After all, they are mass produced and custom tanks are hand assembled. 

-Good for beginners like me. Basically plug and play.

Cons :

If your a an experienced reefer, the layout of the sump may no be what you desire. Only after a month, i fee that the sump could have been designed better. They are trying to squeeze everything into the small sump (mine comes with mini refugium).

They are getting very common and shipping takes about 1-2 months and they are pre-sold. Pretty hard to get your hands on a white one (yes, white is more expensive than black! Damn!)

Other than that, you cant really complain. Trying to ask a round for a quote with 12mm crystal clear/low iron (whatever you call it) and you will know what I mean.

Happy reefing! my 2 cents.

• SRC Member

Hi Jeebusai,

Thanks for the reply. Spot on with your comments, waiting time for Reefer 250 is 2 months. And i prefer to have the sump and piping made to my design. Again the Reefer tanks are beautiful with the rimless design, but i may not be able to spare the time needed to maintain the look. Cabinet wise, with a 24" width, hopefully i can squeeze more things inside!

I have emailed a few makers in Singapore and a JB maker from facebook for quotes but all no reply yet. I don't mind paying for quality work but I hope not to kena chop carrot head. Let's see how things goes.  

Cheers

• SRC Member
2 minutes ago, rickster88888 said:

Hi Jeebusai,

Thanks for the reply. Spot on with your comments, waiting time for Reefer 250 is 2 months. And i prefer to have the sump and piping made to my design. Again the Reefer tanks are beautiful with the rimless design, but i may not be able to spare the time needed to maintain the look. Cabinet wise, with a 24" width, hopefully i can squeeze more things inside!

I have emailed a few makers in Singapore and a JB maker from facebook for quotes but all no reply yet. I don't mind paying for quality work but I hope not to kena chop carrot head. Let's see how things goes.  

Cheers

IMHO, the sump and piping doesn't cost that much vs the tank. I may change to a acrylic sump and piping 6 months later. Other than cleaning the glass of algae daily and checking water level etc. Nothing much to maintain after the initial crazy WC and constant tinkering of my skimmer. When u have the quotes please share with me too. Thanks!

• SRC Member
20 minutes ago, rickster88888 said:

Hi Jeebusai,

Cheers

Hi bro.

Not sure which maker you have send or visit, i think personally that is better you drop by their shop to discuss and much faster.

As for low iron glass, the price is much higher and clearer ( depends on individual viewing perspective ) and is also earlier get scratch during maintenance.

For customs made, you can select choice of silicon glue color and brands which wont add up any additional cost.

You may try talk to Sandra but I get from his brother as I only get the tank done.

Now what i have is my own acrylic tank.

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• SRC Member
Hi Bro, went through the same headache as you recently. LOL. In the end settled for a Red Sea 250. I went around asking for quotes and custom is actually more expensive then the red sea 250. A few custom makers even asked me to use normal glass for the sides lol.

to summarise for you the pros and cons :

Pros :

-Red Sea 250 (correct me if im wrong) offers you damn good value in terms of price to quality/worksmanship which is very hard to beat. After all, they are mass produced and custom tanks are hand assembled. 

-Good for beginners like me. Basically plug and play.

Cons :

If your a an experienced reefer, the layout of the sump may no be what you desire. Only after a month, i fee that the sump could have been designed better. They are trying to squeeze everything into the small sump (mine comes with mini refugium).

They are getting very common and shipping takes about 1-2 months and they are pre-sold. Pretty hard to get your hands on a white one (yes, white is more expensive than black! Damn!)

Other than that, you cant really complain. Trying to ask a round for a quote with 12mm crystal clear/low iron (whatever you call it) and you will know what I mean.

Happy reefing! my 2 cents.

Agree with jeebusai, that redsea sump system is small. Only reason I see smaller sump from redsea could be industry shifting towards dosing trace elements, triton less water management etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

If you’re ok with an AIO tank check out Innovative Marine SR60. It’s the size you’re interested in, but despite manufacturer claims of 60gal capacity, the actual usable capacity is closer to 50gal.
I bought one and a black stand back in January and love it. Check Fresh n Marine. The website still shows good Sale prices, but doesn’t reflect out of stock items.
PM me if you want more info or pics of my tank.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

Hi,  for the different glasses, is about color distortion. If u know what you want, go for customized made. For quality, few tank makers have been around for some times, coral reef, n30, etc. u can go see their silicon workmanship. For diy, there are few shops that are cheap but u need to give them the dimensions, etc. There are few free lance setup reefers around also. U can also approach them or they might start pming u. 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

On ‎17‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, rickster88888 said:

Hi All,

Planning to get back into the hobby after a 10 yrs break. :)

Lost touch with all the suppliers and equipment so hope you guys can assist.

Firstly I plan to get a 36" x 24" x 24" custom tank with cabinet. Need advise on who are the good tank maker currently around. Also what is the current market price for the tank and cabinet, so that i don't get chop carrot head. :D

Thank you!

Rick

Hi rickster88888 , I'm keen too, if possible PM me the tank maker info if you have it or from other reefer. 

Camp here and thanks.

• SRC Member

Good day!

Thanks for the replies. Paid the deposit to CRA for the tank. :evil:  But i have not confirm the final size and design yet.

Not the cheapest but I think wont go wrong with them. Again I am a DIY person, so i only need a good basic tank and cabinet. The rest of the setup I will do myself. I guess different makers cater to different requirements. So pay them a visit at the shop and understand what services if they can provide!   

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Good day everyone.

Currently planning for the most difficult part of the tank.... aquascaping.

Check with you guys, which LFS currently got a good selection of dry rocks? Those man-made ceramic rocks also can.

Not planning to use live rock as it has too many unknowns. With dry rocks can plan the scape outside the tank and then slowly move into the tank itself. After cycling of the tank, just thown in a small piece of live rock for seeding.

Thanks in advance!

De aquatic. 

• Like 1

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
On 6/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, Solo77 said:

De aquatic. 

Hi Solo, thanks for the info!

No time to drop by the shop yet so just browse through their website to take a look..

Are you referring to the DE rocks? Are these also similar to the ceramic rock from Germany? Any chance you are also using them?

Cheers

Rick

Using partial. 

Algae Scrubbler