Octopus not eating

NubReefer

• SRC Member

Okay so i got an octopus two days ago from pinnacle aquatics which is about 1.6 inch and its not eating at all? The uncle there told me that they dont feed it at all so they also dont know what they eat. I tried catching purple pincer crab, proceline crab and small sized stone crab. He is not only not intrested but seems to be scared of it..

But he did take two broken crab leg with meat exposed but im not sure if its eating it. Ive also tried frozen mysis. What strategy can i adopt to get it eating? Thanks! (By the way the octo looks like a sydney octopus? The colour and shape kinda matched.)

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
I dunno but i think its a sydney octo

Standard Common Name
Common Sydney Octopus

Alternative Name/s
Gloomy Octopus

Identification
The undersides of the arms of the Common Sydney Octopus are rust red in colour, tapering to a tip, which may be the first thing you spot emerging from under a rock ledge.

Size range
80 cm

Distribution
The Common Sydney Octopus is found in New South Wales.

Habitat
The Common Sydney Octopus is found on intertidal rocky shores and in the ocean.

Feeding and Diet
At night the Common Sydney Octopus hunts using its sharp beak to feed on crabs and molluscs, such as snails and bivalves. It can change the colour of its skin (normally mottled brown) and shape to imitate seaweed.

Other behaviours and adaptations
The Common Sydney Octopus is territorial and sits in its lair during the day surrounded by rocks and rubble that it has collected to defend its home.

The octopuses' fleshy mantle can be used for jet propulsion by sucking in water and squirting it out through the siphon above. Most of the time though, they use their eight suckered arms to creep about over rock surfaces in search of food.

Octopuses are protected and cannot be taken from ocean rock platforms or Sydney Harbour.

• SRC Member

Standard Common Name
Common Sydney Octopus

Alternative Name/s
Gloomy Octopus

Identification
The undersides of the arms of the Common Sydney Octopus are rust red in colour, tapering to a tip, which may be the first thing you spot emerging from under a rock ledge.

Size range
80 cm

Distribution

Habitat

Feeding and Diet
At night the Common Sydney Octopus hunts using its sharp beak to feed on crabs and molluscs, such as snails and bivalves. It can change the colour of its skin (normally mottled brown) and shape to imitate seaweed.

The Common Sydney Octopus is territorial and sits in its lair during the day surrounded by rocks and rubble that it has collected to defend its home.

The octopuses' fleshy mantle can be used for jet propulsion by sucking in water and squirting it out through the siphon above. Most of the time though, they use their eight suckered arms to creep about over rock surfaces in search of food.

Octopuses are protected and cannot be taken from ocean rock platforms or Sydney Harbour.

Uhh thanks ..

• SRC Member

Standard Common Name
Common Sydney Octopus

Alternative Name/s
Gloomy Octopus

Identification

Size range
80 cm

Distribution

Habitat

Feeding and Diet

Uhh thanks ..

• SRC Member
Im not sure if cuttlefish and octopus are the same (i see them both as sotong anyways) but the last time i had one (caught off punggol end jetty), it went for my clowns. You may want to try damsels.  

Bro, u watching finding dory?mm octopus in the movie is good guy helping nemo. But in relarity, octopus is predator at the top of food chain. Every moving things except coral is in its food menu. Exclude poison creature.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...