Yellow spotted boxfish with clear cleaner shrimp, okay?

NubReefer

Generally, boxfishes do well with cleaner shrimps. Look out for distressed behaviors. If the box fish appears to allow cleaner shrimp to clean, which is suppose to be the case, then it’s all good. It happens in nature all the time, it is symbiotic.

The only time that boxfish will really poison the whole tank is when it dies, otherwise, a good pack of carbon should be able to absorb the mucus it secrets when stressed.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I recently got a baby boxfish.and put it in the shrimps tank and then they started cleaning him, the baby boxfish is about a inch long and the shrimp is about his size,
Is it going to stress him out as i do not want the boxfish to poison the whole tank

Before I kept my 2ft saltwater tank, I had a nano 10g which was my first marine tank. Being an amateur, I bought a boxfish on impulse. It did well for a few days and ate a lot, esp mysis. However, I noticed it on a rock motionless one morning. I then did a stupid move and left it there as I was rushing off for class. About 12 hours pass and I get home, i noticed that my clownfish were twitching, and the water was cloudy.
In essence, as long as you remove the fish immediately, it should be fine, as I'm pretty sure it was stressed out in the process of dying overnight, but my clownfish were fine in the morning, meaning the toxin either wasn't released or only trace amounts when stressed and was very easily cleaned up by my activated carbon.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT to throw away the rocks and sand in the tank, and to properly wash the tank down. One clownfish survived and I placed it in a bucket, and it was fine after a day or two. However, when I placed the live rock in from the tank, the clownfish started acting weird and died. Needless to say I threw away everything in the tank. This may not be necessary for you, as I mentioned this happened in my very first saltwater tank, when I knew not much about it. Also, I was very badly pushing the bio load of a nano 10 gallon tank.

• 1 month later...