Noob here

Hi guys,need ur advice.I have started a 90 litre nano tank with some live rock,live sand and some artificial rock.Im doing a fishless cycle n threw in a piece of raw market shrimp.

The tank has been cycling for 3 weeks now.i have not run the skimmer n chiller.I have been testing for ammonia and nitrites almost daily.Have been using salifert test kits and no ammonia or nitrites have been detected for the past 3 weeks.Today,i did the test again n out of sudden nitrites was picked up at 1ppm n ammonia 0.

1)Is it possible that i missed out the ammonia spike phase?

2)Theres a tiny bit of die offs on the live rocks n diatoms are starting to show up.is the cycle almost gonna complete?

Thanks in advance5b665e3ea0eea_20180726_0927512.thumb.jpg.7a50790fa037d6d4a12771122a5309e7.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Hi Thanos,

Tank should have ammonia spikes follow by nitrite. Nitrate should increase gradually after cycling.

If the tank doesn't have this reading, it seems to me that it had not done cycling. Since you had added some live rocks, Cycling period might had been shorten.

What type water are you using? Natural Sea Water or Salt mix? Natural sea water will also help to shorten cycling period. From my experience, one week should be sufficient to complete cycling with NSW. Salt mix will take much longer.

Hi bro thanks for ur reply.i used ro/di water i bought from irwana.The thing is ammonia should have appeared before nitrite.Yesterday's test readings was 0 ammonia n 0 nitrite.

Today i tested again nitrite hit 1ppm n ammonia is 0.

Could ammonia spike while i
was asleep last night n turned to nitrite overnight?

Hi bro thanks for ur reply.i used ro/di water i bought from irwana.The thing is ammonia should have appeared before nitrite.Yesterday's test readings was 0 ammonia n 0 nitrite.

Today i tested again nitrite hit 1ppm n ammonia is 0.

Could ammonia spike while i
was asleep last night n turned to nitrite overnight?

*ro/di water mixed with red sea salt myself.salinity is at 1.025

If nitrite is detected, it is going through cycling. 

Suggest you wait for a bit longer, 1-2 weeks more with some sample testing. After tank was cycled, I understood it will follow with diatom booming on your rocks.

By then adding 1-2 hardy fish will tell you if the tank is stable...and welcome to this hobby :)

If nitrite is detected, it is going through cycling. 
Suggest you wait for a bit longer, 1-2 weeks more with some sample testing. After tank was cycled, I understood it will follow with diatom booming on your rocks.
By then adding 1-2 hardy fish will tell you if the tank is stable...and welcome to this hobby
Haha..thanks bro.happy reefing

• SRC Supporter

You may be detecting the nitrites from the dead prawn (if its still in the tank).

Can probably remove it by now. Then cycle for another week.

3-4 weeks total should be sufficient based on what you have described.

BTW, very nice rockscape you have there :)

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

You may be detecting the nitrites from the dead prawn (if its still in the tank).
Can probably remove it by now. Then cycle for another week.
3-4 weeks total should be sufficient based on what you have described.

BTW, very nice rockscape you have there
The prawn disintegrate already haha,thanks for the compliment on my rock scape.Mine is nothing compared to urs haha..im still a newbie.hope to learn more from all the pros here