Tesla Green Lab Tank - Enzyme powered

Harry H

• SRC Member

Tank update. The Bubble coral grew again and i have to shift it to the sharp corner of the base live rock so that the bubbles can wrap around it. It feels good things are growing big but at some point it becomes TOO BIG and I dont want to change a tank again! 

Added the old Minimax Desktop Innovative Marine Reactor - runs Zeolites and because I have some Skimz biopellets, threw a few in as well. Nitrate is 0.2 mg/l or 0.2 ppm.

My fluval 206 canistor is now a Denitrator (one senior reefer explained to me) - marine pure cubes, deNitrate, Phosguard (Seachem I think), and 2 large packs of activated carbon. No filter floss in it. So goodbye Nitrate Factory.

Added 1 ml enzyme into the tank last night. I do it weekly. 

Added NOPOX 2ml nightly.

So here is a scientific issue.. by putting all these in, I cant tell if it is the enzyme working solely or a combination of so many parameters. If i have time, will set up multiple tanks to test. For the fun and love of it.

AND NOTE TO SELF - DO NOT BUY ANY FISH!

20180904_134922.jpg

• SRC Member

Dear Sir, will do. It is used as an animal feed in Indonesia. The FCR (food conversion ratio) is 1.9 vs the convention 2.8 for the animals. Meaning you feed 1.9 kg of food and the animal put on 1 kg of extra meat. So the lower the FCR the better for the farmers. It is experimental stage and by no means statistically proven but the results are stellar by farming standards. No magic, just science as the enzyme is a form of natural protein. The closest approximation perhaps is the protein powder shake taken by body builders. How it affect marine life is another story and more tests should be conducted. The thing I really need to test on this lab tank is how do I isolate the effect of the enzyme? For example, it can be NOPOX, Phosguard, DeNitrate that did the trick and not the enzyme although in my previous IM 10G tank, it exhibited similar results without NOPOX, Phosguard, DeNitrate etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

It looks like that now. Zero phosphate, zero nitrate (I suspect the API test is "low res"). Dozing NOPOX daily. 10-20% change per week. By converting the canister filter to denitrator, it is amazingly low maintenance now. Surprisingly the Chaeto did not grow much despite having the awesome Innovative Marine Chaeto Max (right spectrum for algae grow. Perhaps it is lack of nitrate and phosphate. Next challenge. Convert the RODI pump into a water changing device. 20180914_175417.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Thanks bro for the feedback. It is tempting. The scientist I am working with is thinking of setting up a pure enzyme tank and let's be more ambitious and use the enzyme to cycle tank. Problem with my tank it is a display tank doubling up with some light product testing. I have tried even nano silver beads (another tech startup product for water putification) in the past. So the quick answer is yes I am as curious as you to find out what I can do with the enzyme and not likely this tank as it is SO HARD to reach zero for both nitrate and phosphate. First time after 4 years of reading. The good news is we are building a plant in batam to produce industrial ptoducts/RD Center. And yes, I want a test tank there. Cant wait.

• SRC Member

My readings are 0 nitrate (even on high resolution kit red sea), 0 phosphate, alkalinity is 7, calcium is way too high at 600 but it could be an old test kit. So it is a low nutrient tank. I dosed redsea Nopox 2 ml daily now reducing to 1 ml daily. Has a micro refugium powered by chaetomax led, the chaeto is alive but not growing due to the low nutrients, and the minimax reactor is 80% zeolites and 20% biopellet. I pump the minimax reactor daily like the zeovit method. Weekly I dosed ATM Outbreak which is a bacterial source. In the canister I have 3 packets of activated carbon, deNitrate and Phosguard or phosban (can't remember). Plus my every 3 days dosing of 0.5ml proprietary enzyme. Yesterday added Redsea Reef Energy A+B. Water change 15-20% per week. Result is a low nutrient tank.

Despite that a few micro thin strands of algae in my super thin sand bed which can be siphoned off easily. The next thing is how to do a low maintenance low nutrient tank. Auto water change. The challenge is not getting too many pipes and tanks and accessories as this is a Soho tank. I have a Rodi pump and using the thin hoses I can set up an auto change gig. Just have to unplug and change the direction of the hoses. Let's see if it is worth the effort.

20180916_095029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...