my 1st nano reef tank

louisfjh

• SRC Member

Is something blocking the outlet or inlet? One thing is do is check the pump to ensure is running fine. If the vibration continues, can place some kind of vibration damping pad or cloth between the DT & HOF contact surfaces 

the old HOF was even louder and vibrate more, cleaned and checked but still the same. so i bought a brand new HOF yesterday, quieter but still vibrates. so i wonder if this is normal. nv use HOF before. will try to dampen the vibration. looking for external mini canister also to replace that HOF.

From the pictures, I think what’s good about this setup is: should the pump malfunction, the supply to this tank will stop, & therefore there is no chance of overflow. 
The only risk(albeit minimal) would be if the tank’s return flow outlet is blocked or clogged, the pump will continue to draw water into the tank & eventually it will fill up & overflow on the sides. 
Is that how it works?
yes. it how it work

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

dont know if this thread is still active, but does the hang-on filter cause vibration on the glass of the tank? because mine does and I dont think its good for the fishes. Just adopted the tank and fishes from my colleague. 
i hv add some soft tape between the dt n hob.
so it hv a small gap betwen them. n the hob dont hv vibration. the return pump for the hob is in the dt ios compartment.

6 hours ago, RipcurlGuy said:

dont know if this thread is still active, but does the hang-on filter cause vibration on the glass of the tank? because mine does and I dont think its good for the fishes. Just adopted the tank and fishes from my colleague. 

Glue thin rubber sheet or studs (Hardware store or DIY section) onto the hang-on filter at points where it rest on the tank glass. This will dampen the vibration. 

On 11/18/2018 at 4:40 PM, MichelReef said:

Glue thin rubber sheet or studs (Hardware store or DIY section) onto the hang-on filter at points where it rest on the tank glass. This will dampen the vibration. 

tried rubber pads, reduces vibration a lot. But is it normal for HOF to be noisy? bought a new Gex HOF, noisy even before i add the rubber pad. 

2 hours ago, RipcurlGuy said:

tried rubber pads, reduces vibration a lot. But is it normal for HOF to be noisy? bought a new Gex HOF, noisy even before i add the rubber pad. 

I don't know about Gex HOF. But I did come across in one of the foreign forums that it vibrates and is noisy. Some of the HOFs that  I used before were also noisy. I bought a EHEIM Liberty 2042020 a few years ago. It still works fine and is silent. 

• 2 months later...

Other than vibrations and noise issues,another concern is whether the hob tank will cause stress to the glass it sits on.By the picture the hob tank looks quite heavy.Hope nothing bad happens tho...

I don't know about Gex HOF. But I did come across in one of the foreign forums that it vibrates and is noisy. Some of the HOFs that  I used before were also noisy. I bought a EHEIM Liberty 2042020 a few years ago. It still works fine and is silent.