Upgrading my tank

xIHA

• SRC Member

Hey guys i am in the process of upgrading my nano 10g tank to a 25g/30g? tank i am unsure of how long i should cycle the new tank as i plan on migrating my rocks from the old tank.i currently have 2 large pieces of cycled liverock and 3 large/2 medium pieces of dry rocks and i am using live sand alongside fritz bacter9 how long before i transfer my corals and fish. My current stocklist in the 10g is a flame hawk and mostly softies/lps and 2 anemones and in the 30g i have a purple firefish and some random crabs and snails i stole from my 10g. i have also transfered half of my marine pure media from the 10g wich according to the website i have enough for a 50g tank

Hey

#ff6f61

• SRC Member

Hi I just upgraded my tank from 10g to 14g. I lost two creatures due to overconfidence as I threw away the old sand as it was dirty. I think the trick is to transfer everything and have zeolites ready. Zeolites turns out to be the best emergency ammonia absorber. So even if the new tank is not fully recycled the zeolites will kick in. And stock up some good activated carbon and Prime. The lesson i learned is that somehow the bacteria level is based on the occupants. Say you have lots of marine pure in a tank which far exceeds the tank size. The amount of good bacteria (there is a science term which I forgot) will not be more than the existing bioload. In other words the bacteria in all your existing rock, sand, floss and marine pure is about the same even if you have a few more blocks of marine pure. When you change the tank some bacteria will die off and hence the new tank syndrome. So have the zeolites, Prime, spare water change ready.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app