Hi there

sam20e

15 hours ago, fuzzlesc said:

Hi care to show the sump area? Learning too

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I dont have a separate sump setup. Its a AIO nano tank setup.  Protein skimmer, filter section and then pump thats all

12 minutes ago, JMW said:

Hi nice setup, how do you keep your tank temperature low without a chiller? Do you use a cooling fan?

singapore temperature is fine no need to chill your tank. i dont use any cooling fan

23 minutes ago, Mickeymic said:
4 hours ago, sam20e said:
singapore temperature is fine no need to chill your tank. i dont use any cooling fan

Not in air con room either?

nope its in my living room. i dont think anyone would keep a reef tank n their aircon room because it could affect the temperature. 

Singapore waters also have coral reef, don't need chiller/heater - mostly for temperate countries, seasonal changes. But keep away from direct sunlight, because small water volume. Chiller is good for many reasons, higher dissolved oxygen and reduced algae growth. Higher temperature also has benefits - higher metabolism and coral growth.

• SRC Member
14 hours ago, sam20e said:

Thanks for sharing. It’s an interesting setup & I would agree that you may find long-term success by stocking your tank with livestock that are more adaptable or originate from warmer waters 

• SRC Member
Singapore waters also have coral reef, don't need chiller/heater - mostly for temperate countries, seasonal changes. But keep away from direct sunlight, because small water volume. Chiller is good for many reasons, higher dissolved oxygen and reduced algae growth. Higher temperature also has benefits - higher metabolism and coral growth.
I guess the live stock selection must be those hardy type? Else temp fluctuation is one of the killer in tank.

11 minutes ago, Indeco said:
8 hours ago, chris3121 said:

I guess the live stock selection must be those hardy type? Else temp fluctuation is one of the killer in tank.

yup, my tank max can keep 2-3 fishes but i have 4 because im doing weekly water changes, checking my water parameters regularly etc. if you want to have a successful reef, you need to know all about the reef chemistry. That's very important. As for the corals for now, yes, I have hardy type and soft corals. For more advanced corals you need advanced light technique all.

2 hours ago, Indeco said:
10 hours ago, chris3121 said:

Not really, temp fluctuation in Singapore is 5-6 degrees, which translates to 2-3 degrees fluctuation indoors. (Close your windows to prevent heat convection and reduce radiation.) 2-3 degrees fluctuation is normal in natural reefs. You can also use a low powered cooling fan to stabilize temp.

Water chemistry is more important for "advanced" corals. Run GFO and dose vinegar. 

• SRC Member
Not really, temp fluctuation in Singapore is 5-6 degrees, which translates to 2-3 degrees fluctuation indoors. (Close your windows to prevent heat convection and reduce radiation.) 2-3 degrees fluctuation is normal in natural reefs. You can also use a low powered cooling fan to stabilize temp.
Water chemistry is more important for "advanced" corals. Run GFO and dose vinegar. 
Oh Ok, I got bad success rate when doing QT my fish so I thought temp fluctuation is one of the killer. Maybe now I should look at other thing.

43 minutes ago, Indeco said:
1 hour ago, chris3121 said:

Oh Ok, I got bad success rate when doing QT my fish so I thought temp fluctuation is one of the killer. Maybe now I should look at other thing.

I'll be very honest with you. I never QT my fishes at all. I know a lot of people recommend that. Some will even tell that you should QT a fish for like 1-2 months. It's just your preference. If you introduce 2-3 fishes together it won't be a problem. But make sure to research and get to know about that fish nature, aggressive type etc. Some fish like six line all can become territorial 

• SRC Member

Agree with you Bro, I only QT tang and angel. Small fish normally is physical assessment.

Having say that alot of fish due to mishandling, i feel that will required some pre treatment/care to be able to strive in reef environment.

Territorial and aggression always suck. Hahaha.

• Haha 1