Unethical Practices

Tom.H

**This post does not serve to defame any seller or LFS.**

Anyone had multiple bad purchase experience before? For me, I’m not a very loyal customer. I am always looking for new venue/ LFS or reefers to purchase different interesting corals.

During this journey of exploration, I had a peculiar encounter. I purchased multiple Euphyllia corals from this anonymous platform. (Each piece @ at least $150). As most of you know the above coral is not the hardest coral to keep but some how within 2-3 days the whole colony will somehow turn brown/black from the inside and die off. The first few suspects I had was my water, my placement, my neighbouring corals and my invertebrates but after my third purchase I’m pretty certain or I choose to believe it wasn’t my issue.

I have 10 Euphyllia Corals purchased from other venue and all are thriving. I just hope to verify if the unethical practice is true.

7.JPG6.JPG

• SRC Member

Bro. That’s why we choose to stick to selected lfs.
There are few ways lfs sell.
1. Shipment arrive, quarantine few weeks, coral healthy and stable, sell expensive.
2. Shipment arrive, quarantine few days, coral healthy and stable, sell market rate or above.
3. Shipment arrive, can sell direct without quarantine. Cheaper than market rate but risk is on you.

That’s why some corals can sell for $100 in one lfs and $150-$300 in another.
If you want cheap, take the risk.

Another issue would be buyer anxious.
Example 3. Selling cheap but we should not buy yet. Wait for a few days and come back and check if it is stable. But you are worried someone else would buy it before you buy and you can’t reserve it cause if it dies, shop lose money by not selling it off when they have the chance so you take the plunge and purchase it. Risk is on you.

Basically, it is ALWAYS our problem/issue if we do not do our part when buying.
If example 1 & 2 the coral survive at the LFS for do Long and you bring it back, it dies, your tank issue.
If example 3, also your issue cause you don’t want to wait worried people buy before you or can’t wait and see if it will be stable at the LFS.

1. Cheap
2. Healthy
3. Looks good.
Choose only 2.
If you want all 3, be a loyal customer and you will slowly get discounts more than shop hoppers.

Sorry for the Long post.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 3

Hey VanquishJ, Thanks for the advice.

I practice example 1 & 2 and I didn’t really have any issue w my corals other than this particular source that I purchase from and I have heard similar experience.

But yeah I do learn from experience to focus your purchases from one trusted avenue.

Jay
Regards

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, VanquishJ said:

Bro. That’s why we choose to stick to selected lfs.
There are few ways lfs sell.
1. Shipment arrive, quarantine few weeks, coral healthy and stable, sell expensive.
2. Shipment arrive, quarantine few days, coral healthy and stable, sell market rate or above.
3. Shipment arrive, can sell direct without quarantine. Cheaper than market rate but risk is on you.

That’s why some corals can sell for $100 in one lfs and $150-$300 in another.
If you want cheap, take the risk.

Another issue would be buyer anxious.
Example 3. Selling cheap but we should not buy yet. Wait for a few days and come back and check if it is stable. But you are worried someone else would buy it before you buy and you can’t reserve it cause if it dies, shop lose money by not selling it off when they have the chance so you take the plunge and purchase it. Risk is on you.

Basically, it is ALWAYS our problem/issue if we do not do our part when buying.
If example 1 & 2 the coral survive at the LFS for do Long and you bring it back, it dies, your tank issue.
If example 3, also your issue cause you don’t want to wait worried people buy before you or can’t wait and see if it will be stable at the LFS. emoji13.png

1. Cheap
2. Healthy
3. Looks good.
Choose only 2. emoji13.png
If you want all 3, be a loyal customer and you will slowly get discounts more than shop hoppers.

Sorry for the Long post. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Very well said. I had my share of painful experiences for both fishes and corals. There aren’t that many Cheap, Fresh and Big Nxxx in the market.