How Many Hydras For A 4 Foot Tank?

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I was thinking of upgrading my lights to Hydra 26 HD. I'm not really into SPS centred tanks because of their requirements, so I would like to know whether 2 Hydra 26 HD is enough for a mixed reef 48 inch (Length) by 30 inch (Height) by 27 inch (Depth/Width). It has a brace bar in the middle, so the lights will be positioned on each side of the tank. Will 2 be enough, or will I need 3 Hydra 26 HD/2 Hydra 52 HD? Thank you  

• SRC Member
3 x 26 will give u a much better spread compared to 2 x 52. The common issue is the brace bar or overflow in the middle. Most people  use a hanging kit or rail to overcome this. 
I see.. thanks:) Do you think I can get away with just 2 Hydra 26 HD? I'm keeping mostly LPS and softies with the exception of one Stylophora, and I think my SPS count will remain that way haha

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
6 minutes ago, PaulPaul01 said:

I see.. thanks:) Do you think I can get away with just 2 Hydra 26 HD? I'm keeping mostly LPS and softies with the exception of one Stylophora, and I think my SPS count will remain that way haha

For a start yes, place the lights higher but may be unsightly and glaring to ur eyes. U will also have lots of “blind spots” and the spread is just not there.  The good thing about hydra is the diffuser is inbuilt. Whereas for Radions, u need to purchase them. 

• SRC Member
49 minutes ago, fuzzlesc said:

So gents ... u reckon 1x 26 hydra sufficient for 2 ft tank for starters?

After a bit more reading, pretty much yes, but it depends on what you are keeping. Not really sufficient for an Acro tank, but decent SPS like Digitatas in the upper parts of the tank should be alright. Your issue won't be intensity but more of shading of certain areas in the tank, which can be solved (most cost effectively) by a T5 hybrid. Also better if you get the HD version.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

If budget allows. And eventually u want to keep more demanding sps, the Radions are a good chioce. Having used both. I prefer the intensity of the Radions. But some prefer the hydras. Interface for hydras are much better with built in WiFi. U need a laptop for Radions unless u buy a reef link. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, Jeebusai said:

If budget allows. And eventually u want to keep more demanding sps, the Radions are a good chioce. Having used both. I prefer the intensity of the Radions. But some prefer the hydras. Interface for hydras are much better with built in WiFi. U need a laptop for Radions unless u buy a reef link. 

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, PaulPaul01 said:

After a bit more reading, pretty much yes, but it depends on what you are keeping. Not really sufficient for an Acro tank, but decent SPS like Digitatas in the upper parts of the tank should be alright. Your issue won't be intensity but more of shading of certain areas in the tank, which can be solved (most cost effectively) by a T5 hybrid. Also better if you get the HD version.

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

• SRC Member
On 19/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, fuzzlesc said:

So gents ... u reckon 1x 26 hydra sufficient for 2 ft tank for starters?

I used to have 1x26HD for 2ft cube.. I think it's just nice for starters. 

Got another set last month.. SPS been growing like weed. 100% no regrets. 

The only regret is she's pulling 90W extra :x

Currents setupIMG_20181223_151014_835.thumb.jpg.19e7546c39f8212229d64d8bc24b2d4e.jpg

2x26HD 

2x24w T5 

Pics for reference. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...