WTG - caulerpa macro algae

MarCal

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hi bro Marcal, can I learn from you how to make the macro algae survive? I had recently bought and placed it in the display tank, and I found that within 3 days, the bubble leaf starts to turn whitish and also started to drop off bit by bit... can share with me how you cultivate yours? In sump tank? Or display tank? Low light? Low flow? etc... can guide pls? Thanks 

• SRC Member

Just to share.. caulerpa is known to go ‘sexual’, that’s where it start to whithen. Some counter-measures are to run the light on the caulerpa 24/7, or pruning it regularly. 

another possibility is your nutrients are low

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, Dez Ching said:

Hi bro Marcal, can I learn from you how to make the macro algae survive? I had recently bought and placed it in the display tank, and I found that within 3 days, the bubble leaf starts to turn whitish and also started to drop off bit by bit... can share with me how you cultivate yours? In sump tank? Or display tank? Low light? Low flow? etc... can guide pls? Thanks 

Hi, I did nothing special. I just left it in my 2nd main tank which has the afternoon sun. By late noon, my light will be on till late night. I guess my nutrients high tt's y they thrive. Now that I am running carbon n rowaphos, growth has slow tremendously.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro JMW, Bro Marcal, thanks for the guidance. Can I know what is mean by nutrients in this case? Supplements like calcium, magnesium etc? Or do you mean by fish food that is lingering in the tank that makes it nutrients for the Caulerpa?

And running lights 24/7: must it be good lights spectrum or any Led lights also fine?can the red Algae scrubber Led lights I use for growing cheatos in my sump tank light helps it’s growth? 

• SRC Member

Nutrients are nitrates & phosphates, which are the by-products of food and waste added to the tank. Balancing level of nutrients are key in a healthy reef tank, as too low nutrients your livestock may starve, whereas too high nutrients, algae will thrive, if you have more LPS they would appreciate the nutrients too. But nuisance algae can get out of control very quickly.

As for lighting, my own take is that regular LED lights are suitable for growing caulerpa. White, red lights are of suitable wavelength for growing it

• Like 2