What is the best size for reef tank ?

Hi Bro, 

maybe I just share my own opinions. 

Size of the tank will depend on your Budget and space. 

Space goes without saying, my own thoughts is the larger the tank u can get, the better, main reason is for stability and any changes takes longer time to occur. I.e alkalinity will be more stable and less fluctuation in a shorter period. 

Budget - larger the tank, higher ur expenses, ur equipment will need to be larger and more. I.e more salt mix, larger water changes, bigger skimmer, larger chiller, more lighting, more media required for nutrient control, more dosing of critical elements etc etc. 

End of the day, size of the sump may be important, but it also depends on what u require from the sump. I.e do u need a refugium? 

If u can tell us more, maybe we can give you a better advise. 

What are ur tank plans? What kind of  Equipment are u planning to run? Do you have a tight Budget?  

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Based on your current 2 choices I’d say go for the later setup. In the long run, you’ll find that upgrading to have more space for whatever it is you’re keeping- fish or coral, will be less of a hassle if you’ve already started bigger. A 4x2x2ft display with a sump is plenty enough IMO

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

If u are considering a nice reef tank Id say 2 feet or more wide is best option.

Height 1.5 or more is always good,can enjoy shallow reef at 1.5 if u wish to look at ur corals from TOP most of the time

Over it’s a personal choice on how you wish to display your tank that suits to ur needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

If u are considering a nice reef tank Id say 2 feet or more wide is best option.

Height 1.5 or more is always good,can enjoy shallow reef at 1.5 if u wish to look at ur corals from TOP most of the time

Over it’s a personal choice on how you wish to display your tank that suits to ur needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk