My reef tank (Part 2)

Darren Sim

Thank you ReefMarketSG (RMS) for being there to supplement my tank needs!

If you’re looking for various products, speedy delivery and good service this is the place you should visit!

8da69d3257b283f702fff6edaf528119.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just received my new Coral Tweezers from RMS.

601a12fbeb70bc12a69ebb8467f3dc2c.jpg

The packaging is quite standard but what I loved the most is the tweezer is wrap by Carbon Fiber ! *Plus points

I searched that Carbon Fiber doesn’t rust or rot according to the internet. Which amazed me especially on a tweezer because usually we (Or just me) will just use it and put it aside without cleaning the surface and over time it will rust.

The Maxspect tweezer edge also silicon coated and this is good as it avoid hurting delicate corals when you pick them up plus it will hold the corals easier with a little fiction.

4b95bea8bca47ed3d9dff5c40cfda5dd.jpg

It has this neutral buoyancy that will hover in the water column. Good for those tank height > 2ft. Imaging the whole tweezer drop at your sand bed during some minor maintenance and you have to reach all the way in to retrieve it. Making your arms or sleeve wet during the process.

8d2cc75d5925136926df5f8b2d78b39a.jpg

Lastly, you don’t require any effort to kiap a small frag plug because the opening is just nice for the size. Frag plug must be around 2cm.

6c2634fa5b3ef8d6592fee21e8d9b930.jpg

656bd47f88e52eca3e315d8afb973fc8.jpg

One thing I wish Maxspect to come out with different length. This model only available at 35.7cm/14” in length. Totally good for those shallow tank or frag tank. I’m currently using the normal long tweezer for maintenance because it’s quite long.

ed07fee61e9338c17f186e61f72b3dcb.jpg

I will rate 9/10. 1 is due to the length otherwise it’s really a nice tweezer. Let’s see whether it will get rust over time. If you really looking for a tweezer can get it from RMS!

• Like 1

• SRC Member
More macro shots using TG5

0f8ec5680967938dc268046535d6115b.jpg
4cefcd913a8c832cbeb34bee58643e41.jpg
f0fe54dd579b8faa5e52591d22674545.jpg
2480b1fbbc0cc9125f4fb2af7eaead6c.jpg

thanks for the review of these tweezers! was thinking of picking up a pair too. i got the carbon fiber bubble magus scraper and never looked back. “stainless steel” or not, saltwater is just that corrosive that these carbon fiber products are a good investment going forward, i feel

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

thanks for the review of these tweezers! was thinking of picking up a pair too. i got the carbon fiber bubble magus scraper and never looked back. “stainless steel” or not, saltwater is just that corrosive that these carbon fiber products are a good investment going forward, i feel

I agree. Carbon fiber products really worth investing.

Cut off some glass panel and removed my Clarisea SK-5000. The reason for doing this type is because of inspiration from nature reef. More live rocks will help me maintain my tank’s NO3 low but negative side is that some dirt will trap in between of the rocks so I planning to place a small wavemaker at the red circle to provide more flow.

My red arrow is UV output.

Dump some coral chips in this compartment to maintain PH abit.

7f765d5186ede036c6a3b6ca83359fb8.jpg

• SRC Member
Cut off some glass panel and removed my Clarisea SK-5000. The reason for doing this type is because of inspiration from nature reef. More live rocks will help me maintain my tank’s NO3 low but negative side is that some dirt will trap in between of the rocks so I planning to place a small wavemaker at the red circle to provide more flow.

what uv are you running bro? also curious to know what your goal with it is. i recently installed a uv sterilizer on my system myself, but i think it’s still too soon to say if it was worth it

54 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

what uv are you running bro? also curious to know what your goal with it is. i recently installed a uv sterilizer on my system myself, but i think it’s still too soon to say if it was worth it

I'm currently running a Deltec UV 39W. My goal for this UV is to eliminate any floating Ich and have a clearer water. 

It is definitely no harm having a UV in your tank. Never heard any negative point of having a UV. What UV you bought? 

• SRC Member
I'm currently running a Deltec UV 39W. My goal for this UV is to eliminate any floating Ich and have a clearer water.    It is definitely no harm having a UV in your tank. Never heard any negative point of having a UV. What UV you bought? 

i got the coralife turbotwist x12. was actually thinking of getting the same deltec uv sterilizer as you initially but due to space constraints decided on coralife instead.  

same, i decided to install one to manage ich and velvet pathogens in the water, especially those that might come in on and hatch from the rocks/frags of new coral i put in.

it’s a nice bonus that the water is clear without running activated carbon too

i got the coralife turbotwist x12. was actually thinking of getting the same deltec uv sterilizer as you initially but due to space constraints decided on coralife instead.  same, i decided to install one to manage ich and velvet pathogens in the water, especially those that might come in on and hatch from the rocks/frags of new coral i put in.

it’s a nice bonus that the water is clear without running activated carbon too

Turbotwist is good too because it will allow more contact time with the bulb. Deltec is too long and those will space constrain won’t like it but it work the same way too (providing longer contact time with the bulb).

UV is a bit hard to control velvet as it is only effective on those FLOATING velvet and if you’re lucky it goes in your UV otherwise it will still remain at your water. I encountered some reefers having fish wipe out due to velvet even though they have an UV.

So it’s really important to get your fishes from a reliable store to prevent velvet from happening or set up a QT tank if your space allows.

• SRC Member
Turbotwist is good too because it will allow more contact time with the bulb. Deltec is too long and those will space constrain won’t like it but it work the same way too (providing longer contact time with the bulb). UV is a bit hard to control velvet as it is only effective on those FLOATING velvet and if you’re lucky it goes in your UV otherwise it will still remain at your water. I encountered some reefers having fish wipe out due to velvet even though they have an UV.  So it’s really important to get your fishes from a reliable store to prevent velvet from happening or set up a QT tank if your space allows.

yeah. uv works the same way with ich actually, they only deal with the free-swimming stage protozoans. sometimes it’s not just the fish that carry it, but anything else that is introduced to the tank. overall ime as long as the outbreak doesn’t get out of control and the fish have been well-established, they can survive.  i’ve dealt with velvet twice before despite quarantining my fish. it wiped my tank once, but didn’t kill a single fish in the other instance. polyplab definitely helped but i chose to run a uv sterilizer now to manage the population. even 2 whole bottles of medic isn’t adequate for the recommended dose assuming 3x strength on a 300g system over 20days.  

QT and choosing fish wisely is effective no doubt, but the parasite may still come in on any other thing you put into the tank.

i just suay kena twice. ever since then i didn’t bother with full fish quarantine(because not quarantining coral and inverts still leaves you at risk either way) but i do proactively dip/treat fish & coral before putting them in. and never make the same mistake of adding too many fish at once or of the same species..

yeah. uv works the same way with ich actually, they only deal with the free-swimming stage protozoans. sometimes it’s not just the fish that carry it, but anything else that is introduced to the tank. overall ime as long as the outbreak doesn’t get out of control and the fish have been well-established, they can survive.  i’ve dealt with velvet twice before despite quarantining my fish. it wiped my tank once, but didn’t kill a single fish in the other instance. polyplab definitely helped but i chose to run a uv sterilizer now to manage the population. even 2 whole bottles of medic isn’t adequate for the recommended dose assuming 3x strength on a 300g system over 20days.  QT and choosing fish wisely is effective no doubt, but the parasite may still come in on any other thing you put into the tank.

i just suay kena twice. ever since then i didn’t bother with full fish quarantine(because not quarantining coral and inverts still leaves you at risk either way) but i do proactively dip/treat fish & coral before putting them in. and never make the same mistake of adding too many fish at once or of the same species..

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I agree. As long as you keep adding things in your tank nothing is safe. Haha. We have to do our due diligence to dip all corals and don’t introduce any live rocks in the tank (damn dangerous). I usually also fresh water dip my fishes too. If they’re Swimming well after 3-5 minutes I’m happy.

• SRC Member
On 5/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Darren Sim said:

You can add in filter sock.

I screwed up!

As the title shown, I messed up big time but I believe it's a part and parcel of life, whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. 

My tank is infested with AEFW (Acropora Eating Flatworm), this are an reefers nightmare. Don't get me wrong, I always dip my corals before introducing to my tank but what I missed out is checking for eggs under dead skins/base and using a turkey blasters to blow the corals during dipping. 

How I found out is that one of my friend came over and advised me to dip (using TLF Revive) this particular SPS as the polys are not opening up well after the last re-scape (Last month due to bubble algae). Surprising this particular SPS hosted almost 100 AEFW. 

This is an image of how the eggs will looks like.

IMG_9061.thumb.jpg.827295c1994160576ad20378a309cf91.jpg

4819F331-0938-4FEE-BD42-7F3F62EA4CBE.thumb.JPG.a908b3ad7c5d302039885167a65bc5c2.JPG

I decided to pull the towel after a day after knowing that all of my corals infested with AEFW. It's very demoralising to find out the truth. 

Bought a indoor kids/animal swimming pool (4'X4'X1.5'), 4ft tank from Carousell the day after to host all my corals and fishes. I also took this time to QT my fishes (Hypo).

Moved my torq reactor filled with FM carbon, Power Phos and skimmer in the coral temporary space too. Looks like a coral farming station. Haha.

Pour new saltwater mixed (30%) and 70% old tank water. 

Went ahead to also moved my alkatronic over to constantly measure my KH level. Realised that my whole SPS took up around 06-0.7DKH per day so I have to use my KH elements to replace with the KH lose. I decided not to hook up my CR was because of space factor and also the trouble part to bring my APEX over (PH probe is controlled by APEX Fusion).

Decided to take the chance to recalibrate all my PH probe and Alkatronic pumps too.

Took all my corals and continue to dip. Spent the whole afternoon dipping my corals. Found out that there're a few corals carrying the AEFW eggs and the remaining corals just have less than 50 flatworm in total (not much visible bitemarks too). So I guess I'm lucky to bring out my purple SPS when they decided to call the whole gang out to party. (Above video)

3F510AEC-722B-4034-80DA-E5B4E2AFFA44.thumb.JPG.4b9fe8a22369afd01b65aea75d2d2f32.JPG382FF570-3147-48A2-8871-D8953FB7EA75.thumb.JPG.a9812a20a532b2321759c30ceb54a8f1.JPG

IMG_9083.thumb.jpg.39b382c6bc78e5b4be9dce73c2c867f3.jpg

• SRC Member
I decided to pull the towel after a day after knowing that all of my corals infested with AEFW. It's very demoralising to find out the truth. 

Bought a indoor kids/animal swimming pool (4'X4'X1.5'), 4ft tank from Carousell the day after to host all my corals and fishes. I also took this time to QT my fishes (Hypo).

Moved my torq reactor filled with FM carbon, Power Phos and skimmer in the coral temporary space too. Looks like a coral farming station. Haha.

Pour new saltwater mixed (30%) and 70% old tank water. 

Went ahead to also moved my alkatronic over to constantly measure my KH level. Realised that my whole SPS took up around 06-0.7DKH per day so I have to use my KH elements to replace with the KH lose. I decided not to hook up my CR was because of space factor and also the trouble part to bring my APEX over (PH probe is controlled by APEX Fusion).

Decided to take the chance to recalibrate all my PH probe and Alkatronic pumps too.

Took all my corals and continue to dip. Spent the whole afternoon dipping my corals. Found out that there're a few corals carrying the AEFW eggs and the remaining corals just have less than 50 flatworm in total (not much visible bitemarks too). So I guess I'm lucky to bring out my purple SPS when they decided to call the whole gang out to party. (Above video)

3F510AEC-722B-4034-80DA-E5B4E2AFFA44.thumb.JPG.4b9fe8a22369afd01b65aea75d2d2f32.JPG382FF570-3147-48A2-8871-D8953FB7EA75.thumb.JPG.a9812a20a532b2321759c30ceb54a8f1.JPG

IMG_9083.thumb.jpg.39b382c6bc78e5b4be9dce73c2c867f3.jpg

sorry to hear about the AEFW. feels like marine velvet but for sps dominant keepers.. instances like these where and when an upheaval of our main system is necessary really tests our mettle in this hobby i think. both a good and a bad thing. hope you weather through this one! (i guess this is one of the bright sides of it being CB now hahahah)

This is the starting of my new journey and the end of my old. 

Poured bleach in my whole tank and let the pump on (1 day) -> Drain all the water -> Scrub the whole tank -> Pour new water with anti-chlorine (1 day)-> Drain everything and used a cloth to clean every part of the tank and left it dry ever since. 

IMG_9002.thumb.jpg.9bab68a5ba819551c21de758b6cd3ed9.jpgIMG_9004.thumb.jpg.d5e5e663fe4cbb0fd0a77e63f0d8545a.jpg

Went to also remove all my medias and bleach it. This is to ensure no bubble particles and aiptasia trapped in the media. 

IMG_9005.thumb.jpg.9aabb882ff1f876dcf98dbbf86ebe568.jpg

Clean as new now. *xiao happy

F691EF27-1E66-4F50-A8FC-2239BFE903B7.thumb.JPG.4a07f425863a95fe4e169e8044c2cb89.JPG

1 minute ago, soggycookies said:

sorry to hear about the AEFW. feels like marine velvet but for sps dominant keepers.. instances like these where and when an upheaval of our main system is necessary really tests our mettle in this hobby i think. both a good and a bad thing. hope you weather through this one! (i guess this is one of the bright sides of it being CB now hahahah)

Yeah totally. Thank god for the CB otherwise I won't have the time and effort to do all these.

• SRC Supporter

Sad to hear about it. Its by no means your fault.

I think its impossible to catch every single instance of unhatched eggs from purchased colonies. Any plans to prevent a re-occurrence in future. 

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Sad to hear about it. Its by no means your fault.
I think its impossible to catch every single instance of unhatched eggs from purchased colonies. Any plans to prevent a re-occurrence in future. 

With the space I have. I’ll set up one QT for my corals. Just a simple 2 ft tank with ohf and fan.

Hi bro, Sorry to hear this, My tank also got attacked by Aefw too recently. Hope ur restart will be smooth sailing. Good luck. 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.